The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Would I be ok with a Hudsan 6 stringer ?
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 8:11 am    

I've lately had the itch to try pedal steel again. I will never play professionally, and really don't care to learn a lot of complex things, just to be able to do some backing stuff and maybe simple solo's.

Is it likely that I might be satisfied with one of Jimmy Hudson's six string models? I believe it to be capable of the kind of thing I am wanting to do based on listening to stuff on youtube, and from all I hear the quality is good.

Secondly, would there be ample learning material around that could be translated to the six string? I know Troy has a series of lessons specifically for the guitar, but there are not exactly a lot of them available right now.

Before someone suggest a pro model costing several thousand dollars, I simply don't have the budget for it, and am really not able to haul something heavy around...I'm 60 with some back problems. I also have a very small house and don't have the room for something large and heavy.

Thanks.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 5:49 am    

Though I fear that the creation of 6-string pedal steels will ultimately encourage ameteur musicians (mostly guitarists) that they can "fake the pedal steel sound" for a song or two, in your case it may actually work out for you due to the goals you have listed, and the fact that you are not new to steel playing.

But, I don't think they are a good choice for beginning players who want to someday play the complex stuff of the greats. Most will agree that 10 strings, 3 pedals, 3 levers minimum is the way to go for that.

It's definitely your choice though, and I don't want to sound like I'm putting down the builders. No matter how few strings, I'm sure they are all fine instruments.

I personally don't think I could ever go with fewer than eight strings... unless the six I had were the Jerry Byrd C6 tuning.

Don Walworth

Gilmer, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 6:05 am     6 string

I had one of Jimmy's 6 string PSG - 2 Knee and 2 Pedals. My instructor (via Skype) made my lessons fit the guitar, so no problem for me there. I no longer own the guitar as I donated it at the recent Dallas Steel Guitar Jamboree this past March. But I felt I was missing some things that a 10 string would solve. Got a nice "Stage One" 3 pedals 4 knees - comes with a case (unlike Jimmy's guitars - but they are available as an extra). This guitar is a KEEPER for me. Light, smooth to play and sounds good, too.

I now have a D-10 to mess around with. My Father's Day gift.

My recommendation? 10 string guitar - as most all training material out there is written for that instrument.

I'm a 81 year old beginner -- just my views.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 6:19 am    

Thanks for the opinions. I really doubt I will ever get to the point of playing the complex more modern stuff. My other options within my budget are a Carter Starter that has been modded with lever extensions or I could splurge and get a new GFI student model, which is really a bit more than I want to spend. A stage one would be great, but they are hard to come by and the builder has suspended building new ones until he gets caught up on existing orders.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 6:20 am    

BTW Don, congrats, that is a very nice Fathers Day gift for sure!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 7:06 am    

This is one old curmudgeon's opinion only:

If you want a six-string, get a decent lap steel. If you want a pedal steel, get a 10-string. Anything in between will be a compromise.

There are tunings and techniques on a lap steel that will approximate a pedal steel nearly as well as a 6-string pedal guitar.

Savvy shopping could turn up a decent quality used student model 10-string PSG for about the same money as a new 6-string PSG.

That being said, I would personally love to experiment with one of Jimmie Hudson's 6-string pedal steels. I learned on a 10-string student model PSG, and worked my way back to spending most of my playing time today on 6-string lap steels. Although a compromise, there is most likely a lot of music in a Hudson 6-string just waiting to be discovered.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 7:13 am    

For a budget of under $1000 new, the Carter Starter was possibly the best steel in that range ever made (inflation-adjusted of course). I still have one, and the only thing I had to upgrade was the noisy pickup. I think the Starter is your best option, as long as it has been well-cared-for. It is true that the LKR lever has an uncomfortably long travel... but, you were opting for a guitar with two pedals and what, one lever (?) anyway.

The GFI SM, Discovery, and Stage One all seem to be in the next league up (>$1000), which is now the 'Economy Class' since the Starter is out of production. And for the GFI Student Model, only two levers are standard, so you would have to add to the cost for a third or fourth.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 8:05 am    

You're really limited with only 6 strings. Sad

James Collett

San Dimas, CA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 8:34 am    

I'll say this... I started on a Carter Starter, and was constantly frustrated with how "limited" the instrument was--both in terms of mechanics and playability. Then again, I'm the kind of person who can't help but tinker and "improve". I finally was able to acquire a D-10, which I thought would fill in what I thought was missing;. It was definitely a major improvement over what I was used to (especially mechanically), but having the C6 neck and the ability to seriously tweak my setup felt/feels like drinking out of a firehose a little bit. I bought a disassembled Fender 400 8-string steel as a fun side project a couple of months ago. Once I got it up and running, I enjoyed it so much that it's filling in as my main guitar while I have my D-10 taken apart for cleaning. Obviously I'm more limited in terms of strings/note options/whatever with the Fender than I was with my Carter Starter, but it's given me a good platform to find new note pockets and practice my bar slants, and it's a sturdy guitar that's fun/easy to play and sounds good (unlike the Starter).

All that to say, I don't think you need a full 10-string, 3x4 guitar to get rolling. You can definitely start building your chops with something less, especially if it's a good quality axe that sounds good. If you want to emulate a lot of the typical E9 stuff you hear, however, that's probably best facilitated with at least 8 strings, with the chromatic notes included. I'd go E-F#-G#-B-E-G#-D#-F# low to high, with the standard A, B, and C pedals, and two knee levers, one to raise Es to F, and another to lower them to D#. But, by all means, if a 6-string is what's in your price point, then go for it!

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 8:53 am     Hudson Pedal Steel...

If you listen to the 3 or 4 samples on YouTube played on a Hudson, you'd have to surmise the guitar was OK to learn & play on & I agree with that. Plus I think Jimmy would & could put more on the guitar. Plenty good to pick along with YouTube.

That said, you could buy one of the used MSAs, BMIs or what not, play it for 10 years & sell it for more than you paid (but not a lot more). But, Not a loss at all, plus all the fun can have learning to play this guitar.

Don Walworth

Gilmer, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 9:04 am     I forgot this in my original post

Hudson PSG - Jimmy made the guitar to fit me (height from bottom edge to floor) --- my current 2 guitars do not fit me and I have both tilted to get my legs under them. Plus string spacing is wider on Jimmy's - more in line with a 'regular' guitar - easier to learn (my opinion here).

Also loved looking/playing the Hudson as it is real wood - mine was Mahogany (sp?).

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 10:08 am    

Well, I made a decision. I got offered a $200 discount and 12 months free financing on a GFI S10 with 3 pedals and 4 levers including a hard case. That seems a pretty good deal to me, and if I get it and don't like it, I can return it within 45 days. Couldn't really pass that deal up. Total price was $1250 delivered. I really went this way because I had some bad experiences with used guitars in the past, and I just decided there was way more lessons, youtube tutorials, etc. based on the standard 10 string setup. It should be in on Monday, so we'll see.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 10:12 am    

Jim Williams wrote:
Well, I made a decision. I got offered a $200 discount and 12 months free financing on a GFI S10 with 3 pedals and 4 levers including a hard case. That seems a pretty good deal to me, and if I get it and don't like it, I can return it within 45 days. Couldn't really pass that deal up. Total price was $1250 delivered. I really went this way because I had some bad experiences with used guitars in the past, and I just decided there was way more lessons, youtube tutorials, etc. based on the standard 10 string setup. It should be in on Monday, so we'll see.

A wise decision, in my opinion. Congratulations!

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 10:18 am    

Thanks Jack, I hope so. When I got rid of my last PSG, I said "If I ever try this again, it will be with a new guitar". So I guess this is my last attempt Smile. Someone off the group had offered me a very good deal on a BMI S10, which I have owned two and know they are good guitars, but as with the other ones, it was almost 20 years old. I do realize BMI is a great guitar with all the parts available to fix any problems, but IMO, when you are trying to learn something new, you really need to spend you time learning instead of working on the instrument. Add to that a slight feeling of "too good a deal to be true syndrome" on that BMI. If the seller sends me info and serial number as he promised, I may do a bit of research to make sure it hasn't been stolen somewhere along the line, and pick it up as a future step up, or resell it.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 11:49 am    

Jim, my main gig steel is a GFI D-10. You may never want another steel! Excellent decision!