The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NEW EMINEnCE pf 350
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 6:43 pm    

I seen Paul Franklin demonstrating a new speaker by Eminence. The part number is: PF 350. Will this speaker work Ok in a Peavey Nashville 112? The sound of the speaker was excellent with highs and lows. Great demo!!

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 2:35 am    

I just got one. Amazing speaker! 8 ohm and will be heavier than your stock speaker. The original blue marvel is 4 ohms, the 112 will stand 4 ohm just fine.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 8:09 am    

George, will it fit in a 112? I tried to put a JBL 12 inck into a 112 and not enough clearance for magnet if I remember right. Been years ago.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 10:43 am    

Henry Matthews wrote:
George, will it fit in a 112? I tried to put a JBL 12 inck into a 112 and not enough clearance for magnet if I remember right. Been years ago.

Hey Henry,
Before I start running my yap about it working in a 112 I'm guess I'm not qualified to state if it would actually fit, it does have a very large magnet, weighs well over 20 pounds, but the amp could drive it I'd be pretty certain to say, solid state amps can stand opens, and 8 ohms gets closer to that mark of infinity, probably wouldn't notice much effect on volume would be my guess, but the tone of the new PF_350 is outstanding. Really, well worth trying, I've heard nothing better, my opinion, certainly.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 7:50 pm    

Well I was hoping it would be a 4 ohm speaker. My experience from using an 8ohm speaker in a 4ohm amp is less volume and less tone. Just my experience with BW speakers in Peavey amps. I really like the Emminence Neo light weight speakers. I was a solid fan of BW speaker but the new Emminence has great tone, more lows, brighter highs and only weighs 7 lbs in a 15" speaker.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 9:06 pm    

Less volume because of less wattage output.
Wattage=Voltage(squared)/R. If R is twice the normal resistance (8-ohms instead of 4), the wattage output is halved, (=not as loud).

But, you would achieve the same output power with 2 8-ohm speakers connected in parallel (an extension speaker?).

................Pat

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 6:58 am    

I can't notice enough difference between 8 ohm and 4 ohm to even worry about. I'm sure the PF-speaker is great but looks very heavy. I go for light at my age and the sica-lite speaker sounds awesome. have them in all my amps.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 7:09 am    

And Henry, that is ALL that absolutely matters! How it sounds to you.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 10:42 am    

George Seymour wrote:
And Henry, that is ALL that absolutely matters! How it sounds to you.

you got It George Smile

Last edited by Henry Matthews on 23 May 2017 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Gary Arnold

Panhandle of Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 1:17 pm    

What is the price range for this speaker ???????

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 1:39 pm    

About $209

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 4:26 am    

A second for the Sica speaker. Tried both the Eminence 'EPS-12C' and the Telonics in my '112' as well as a BW 1201 and finally the Sica (actually purchased it from a Forum member for an extension cab, but on a whim, decided to install it in the 112 for a trial run)and in my opinion,the Sica seems best suited to this particular amp above all others mentioned (heck of a lot less expensive as well).

Gary Arnold

Post  Posted 24 May 2017 1:28 pm    

What size speaker box will it take for the PF-350 to fit in ? PF probably had new boxes made but do they have to be deeper ? Any body know ? Thanks, Gary

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 1:41 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sFVbgU3TqE Very Happy

Gary Arnold

Post  Posted 24 May 2017 2:14 pm    

Thanks Dave, I watched the video the other night but I didn't remember seeing the cabs, thanks, gary

Gary Arnold

Post  Posted 24 May 2017 2:16 pm    

I wonder if the "Little Walter" cabs are standard size or made for the PF-350. any one know ? Thanks, Gary

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 7:51 am    

I think I tried this one but I think it was a prototype. It had the aluminum dust cap like jbls. My friend that builds tube amps was checking it out. I really liked it for steel. Sounded good with guitar too....super heavy!

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 4:27 pm    

My understanding is that Paul uses the smaller of the two size 1-12 cabinets LW offers.

I had a larger cab built, open back, birch baffle and pine cab. I got it made with the PF-350. The speaker sounds excellent. Very classy sounding. It is balanced and smooth. Also good with overdrive.
It does not have a ton of highs. I'm going to trade the speakers into a small EV cab to see if I can get more high end, because this cab is new to me as well.

Like Paul says, your sonic recipe is a combination of pickup, amp, speakers. I've mostly used it with Fender amps. I've never owned a speaker that did not have enough highs for me, and usually run my treble between 4 and 5. Sometimes 3 on guitars. So this is new, wanting a bit more highs. And yes, I can, and do, turn up the treble.

Great speaker for jazz guitar as well.

John

Eamonn O\'Regan

Ireland
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 8:00 am     8 ohm speaker in 4 ohm amp

I agree with Henry Matthews. I have an 8 ohm Eminence neo speaker in my Nashville 400 and the volume difference is negligible. The tone, however, is superb.
Custom Excel SD-10 3+5 with G L's 10-1, Mullen SD-10 4+4, BJS bar, Dunlop picks, Goodrich Steel Driver, Goodrich 120 pedal, Peterson strobe tuner, tc Flashback delay pedal, Nashville 112 (with Eminence EPS-12"), Jan Sandvik pack-a-seat.

2") and Nashville 400 amps

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 4:15 am     Re: 8 ohm speaker in 4 ohm amp

Eamonn O\'Regan wrote:
I agree with Henry Matthews. I have an 8 ohm Eminence neo speaker in my Nashville 400 and the volume difference is negligible. The tone, however, is superb.

Yes, and if you have an Oscilloscope like I do and take a voltage measurement at the output, do the math you will find the 8ohms is NOT half the wattage of 4ohms. There is a difference but not half at all. You can safety run an 8 ohm speaker on a 4 ohm output transformer but it won't be quite as loud or sound quite as good but it will work. Matching impedance is always the best way if you can.

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com