The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1935 Ricky B6 mint with grooves filed....Don't cry!!!!
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 4:37 pm    

A close non-computer friend of mine bought a mint condition 1935 Ricky (single vol ctl) and discovered the grooves in the Bakelite moulded nut have been filed down burying the strings. The thought is, in it's life somewhere, somebody thought they could play it "Spanish guitar" style. While it's quite playable, the tone has obviously been compromised for such a nice instrument.

What are, if any, suggested possible options? I.e., is there any suitable material which could be filled into the grooves and filed out??? A big box of tissues for the tears?

Looking forward to hearing from folks.
Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 5:31 pm    

Check out this previous thread about Devcon Steel Epoxy as recommended by Rick Aiello to fill and refile Bakelite:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2515019&sid=75b3084b5161644e7b85f2e0b5fc31ab

L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 5:39 pm    

Hopefully the experts can jump in on this one.

I would try bakelite filings (probably carcinogenic in California) saturated with cyanoacrylate (super glue). Stewmac has a black version of the glue. Cruise the garage sales for an old pot with a bakelite handle. It might take several layers to build it up. Or a little tape dam on each side to hold the powder in place.

This technique has worked very well for me rebuilding bone nut slots, using bone dust. I don't remember who I stole the idea from. But it ain't mine.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 5:41 pm    

I used some stuff that was designed for gun stocks, to make the receiver/barrel assembly fit tighter. Don't remember the name it that just now...maybe someone else here will remember...

Nic Sanford

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 5:45 pm    

Bill, are you talking about Acraglas? It's a Brownell's product.

Steve Wilson

Morgan Hill, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 7:12 pm     Plus one on Acraglass

I have also used the Acraglass. Two parts like epoxy and it comes with a dye to make it black. I was told to buy the red box. I used it to repair a prewar B6 neck that had completely broken off where it joined the body. Worked great. Not sure how it would work for filling the slots.

Ted Duross

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 2:54 am    

Hi George,

If you go the Devcon route and if it's not available to you locally, here's a Canadian online supplier that ships Devcon Plastic Steel. They're Toronto based.

https://www.gessweincanada.com/product-p/811-2655m.htm

I couldn't resist a bad pun here. Depending on the severity of the repair required these can be rated either as:
DEVCON 5 (minor)
to
DEVCON 1 (requires major restoration)
Smile

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 3:10 pm    

G'day George, if it's a model with the removable screw-on nut, then George Piburn of Georgeboards fame can make you a 3D printed blank replacement, & you file your own new grooves. Cool

George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 3:14 pm    

Thank all you folks for the fine help. I'm passing this info on to my friend who is in Nova Scotia, I'm in Ontario. I'm sure e will be pleased with your kind suggestions.
George

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"