The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Difference in travel between wound and unwound strings.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 9:31 am    

Am I right in thinking that it takes less travel to pull or relax a plain string than it does a wound string? I am buying bulk strings and the difference is most noticeable on the G-G# string 20 plain compared to a core of 10 for a 22 wound. Big difference! This is something I had never considered. The cores are much smaller in wound strings generally, but plain strings only go up to 24. Larger cores are more unstable I gather as well. Something to think about I guess!

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 8:36 pm    

The diameter of a plain string, And the core diameter of wound strings are what gives them their movement rate, In raising or lowering to reach desired note.

That is why if you use a plain 6th string and change to a wound 6th string, With its smaller chore diameter it must travel farther to reach note. And on most guitars the pull rod will have to be moved farther from the cross shaft to make the pull, On a wound 6th string.

In Mickey Adams' Steel Guitar set up video he talks about string movement, And to set up smaller string, And adjust stops, Then the larger string will tune with smaller string stops.

The larger the string or string core the more pressure it take to reach a note, But travels less distance to reach the note. It a rule of physics we have to live with.

Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 7:25 am    

Bobby's got it right in his clear and concise post. I'd add that any instability experienced from larger cores or unwound strings....is in the guitar itself and not in the string.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2024 8:43 am    

Ross Shafer wrote:
I'd add that any instability experienced from larger cores or unwound strings....is in the guitar itself and not in the string.

Said the brilliant engineer that makes a guitar with no cabinet drop. Very Happy

Since most all-pull guitars have a decent amount cabinet drop (and raise), whether the problem is coming from the string or the guitar effectively becomes 'a distinction without a difference.' The outcome when the two are combined is that, when the pedals or knees are pressed and the cabinet flexes a little, a plain string will move out of tune more than the equivalent wound.

We're only talking about a difference of a few cents here. But on, say, the A-pedal's C# minor chord -- or the AF major chord -- those few cents can make the difference between an offensively flat 6th string and one that's at least acceptable to the ear. I think that's what folks mean when they say a wound string is more stable -- the different way it responds to cabinet flex is an easily noticeable thing when playing a chord.