The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sierra Steel Guitars
Larry Thomas

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2023 7:39 pm    

Thanks Jon, I’ll be posting some photos of my new guitar shortly. The sides are made from “white ebony” a special piece of wood we got from Paul Reed Smith’s wood vault. The top is highly flamed maple. It’s the most beautiful guitar I’ve ever seen. You may agree after I post the photos.

Larry Thomas

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2023 1:07 pm     the most beautiful guitars being built today

Dear Forum mates, I want to show off the latest project that Ross has completed. It was a year in developing. I love wood and workmanship and Ross was patient and up to the task. After building me a guitar a few years ago, I
decided that I wanted an additional one, so I could leave one at the studio and one upstairs at my home. Woods have always been a source of joy for me, and this is probably my last steel guitar. We decided to make it exotic and I was able to source some special white ebony and maple from a friend. Ross and I went over several scenarios and came up with this guitar. Is it the most beautiful steel guitar ever made? Certainly in the top of any list. Attached are some photos up close. The inlay work was done by Larry Robinson, another great artist. He also did the inlays
on my first guitar

To me, the pedal steel guitar is like a heavenly harp, so I looked online and found something that I could be reminded of when Im sitting behind the instrument. Ambitious idea, but it was worth The rest of the inlays were precious stones that Larry provided. you can see from the photos, the progression of the angel from drawing to final.

Final set up day was something that I waited a year in anticipation. The drive up to Ross's farm was both long and with a sense of great excitement. I brought along my other steel as Ross has continued to develop his vision for perfection and sound, and one of the goals was to exchange out the bridge with his new improved inserts.

Ive focused on the beauty of this guitar, but playing it is a dream. The maple makes the fingerboard come alive and Im not having any issues getting lost on the upper registers. The pedals and levers are smooth and accurate, and I just love the stops. It's a 12stg extended and i think Ive finally gotten the copedient together, and both guitar play just like they should. These are expensive guitars without a doubt, but they are light, and sound great, and give me the greatest joy to play, which I do now, almost every day. Im so glad that the steel has found its way into so many types of music, and exceptance of the instrument in rock and pop is greater all the time. Thanks to all the ambassadors out there putting this great instrument in our music and ears!

7_1.jpg[/img]

Larry Thomas

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2023 1:28 pm     new Steel guitar

my other inspiration, my granddaughter!!

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2023 2:59 pm    

TWO beautiful little angels... AND two beautiful 'New Era' Sierras!

Thanks for the pics Larry!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2023 3:44 am    

Spectacular, Larry. Congratulations!

Muddies up my waters. I was starting to fine tune my vision of the guitar Ross is going to be building me but now I'm back to being all over the place.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2023 7:56 am    

Careful now Jon.....rabbit hole ahead!!

Larry Thomas

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2023 6:38 pm     New guitar

I gotta say that playing on that maple fingerboard is incredible! It’s so light and getting around on the neck is so much easier to see than a dark fingerboard. Can’t wait to see it on stage!

Rob Clot

Petaluma, California USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2023 8:50 pm    

I am thrilled to finally say, I ORDERED MY SIERRA GUITAR!!!!
Ross, I know you are a busy one man shop. And you have always been so gracious when I would stop by to make me feel welcomed. Take your time on the guitar, and I'll be a happy camper when I get mine!

Cheers,
Robert

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 1 May 2023 8:24 am    

Thanks for your order and for your kind words Rob!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2023 6:36 pm    

Here's a copy of a video from Ross of my 12 String Sierra build in process.

"The badge/shield shaped outline around the logo will be amber as will the edge binding on neck and sides. Going to look awesome against the root beer finish of the rest of the sides and top"

Sierra Early Build Video

If above does not play click this link for an MP4 version of the video:

Sierra Early Build Video

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 5 May 2023 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 5 May 2023 4:14 am    

that just opens up a black screen on my computer

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2023 5:04 am    

Roy, try the 2nd link I posted above for a version that should play on most windows computers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 5 May 2023 5:07 am    

Yes the 2nd one worked. Tnx

Larry Thomas

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 6:23 pm     Greg cutshaw

Love the maple and the contrasts. It’s going to be beautiful!

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2023 8:24 am    

Big news here at Sierra headquarters!

Last January I finally grew up enough to realize working 7 days a week was not the best thing for me. At almost 68, taking more time off than I'm used to really got the thought of retirement rattling around in my brain. So....I started searching in earnest for the right person to take my place when I decide to hang up all things business related (believe me, my make-a-holism will see me puttering in my shops until I drop.)

With all that in mind, I'd like to introduce this massively talented young man, Seven Karr! His vast experience in antique furniture restoral and his more recent foray into armpit guitar building have convinced me that he is the man to take Sierra over as I dive ever further into geezerhood.

He has done most of the work on the 5 guitars worth of wood parts you see in the pic and he's done a fantastic job. Working with me for the last few months, he's begun the long journey to learn manual and CNC machining which I've no doubt he will also master.

Young folks with this much passion for making things a learning new skills are rare and I am supremely lucky to have Seven on board as my apprentice.

We can certainly use all the young folks we can get in the steel guitar world. I hope you'll all welcome him enthusiastically into the steel community.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2023 10:03 am    

Congratulations Seven! You will not find a more knowledgeable, accomplished and passionate mentor anywhere. What a great opportunity for both you and Sierra.

My only regret about this is that it is not me embracing this "dream job!" Smile Smile At age 68, as well, Ross just would not get much mileage out of me!

Good luck and congratulations, Seven.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2023 11:13 am    

ere's some pics of the latest Sierra sent off into the wild. Stay tuned, we're on a roll!

Rich Sullivan

Nelson, NH 03457
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2023 10:17 am    

Ross,
Man, your guitars just keep getting better and better. The latest is beyond gorgeous.
I am wondering - are you doing the engine turning on a drill press or a CNC?
Rich

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2023 10:24 am    

Hi Rich,

Thank you for the compliment. I used to do the Engine turning on my Bridgeport. Fun, satisfying and slow....about 20 minutes on a good day. Programmed my Haas to do it....22 seconds.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2023 4:43 pm    

Ross, that is wonderful news. I am overjoyed to see a young man step into this role. He has already displayed a skillful approach to instrument building and no doubt will be drawn into the pedal steel industry.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2023 5:18 pm    

I'm surprised that I somehow missed the post about Seven Karr. Congratulations to both of you.
You will no doubt have your hands on my guitar, Seven, and I couldn't be more pleased.

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2023 8:17 pm     Spring query

Great looking and im sure as smooth to play. I’m wondering what the springs under the rods do?

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2023 6:52 am     Re: Spring query

John Hyland wrote:
Great looking and im sure as smooth to play. I’m wondering what the springs under the rods do?

Thanks John, those springs are called "helper springs". They lighten the pressure needed at the pedals and levers by a bit.

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2023 1:05 pm     Re: Spring query

Ross Shafer wrote:
John Hyland wrote:

Thanks John, those springs are called "helper springs". They lighten the pressure needed at the pedals and levers by a bit.

Thanks Ross

Jim Norman

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2023 7:38 pm    

Well, I've been planning on posting a quick account of my Sierra experience since getting my guitar a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't been able to pull myself away from it long enough to sit down and write something. I thought I'd give it a try tonight...
I love this guitar. I haven't had a lot of time behind other guitars except the one I've owned for the last 8 years (brand to remain unknown), so my comparative experience is limited. But by comparison, the Sierra is so easy and kind on my muscles and physical limitations. The pedals and levers are smooth and relatively effortless compared to my old guitar. Moves that would eventually cause muscle soreness or strain are now a joy. The pulls are smooth and even. This thing is a joy to play.
Working with Ross was also a joy. He communicated every step of the way and made sure the guitar he was building was the one I envisioned. He had the perfect piece of wood to create the guitar I wanted and it is a stunner. I haven't gigged with it yet, but did take it to a jam where the guys across from me couldn't stop staring and commenting on the beauty and detail of the guitar. Everyone who has heard it has commented on its sonic richness and clarity and preference over my old guitar (which I thought was dialed in pretty well).
Ross's attention to detail is amazing, from the fit and finish to little things like including all the little extras you need to set up and maintain a guitar. I'll try to include some pictures, although they won't do it justice.
My take on the Sierra is that it is worth every penny. I spent the last 8 years learning on a guitar that was pretty feature-rich and decided not to start chasing other instruments and just learn until I felt I knew enough to find a guitar to suit my future needs. Having turned 70 this year, I wanted something that was easy on the body and Ross has a fine eye for ergonomics and also for individually fitting the guitar to the player. I have some muscle issues and wanted something that was going to be kind to me, not something that was going to add to my issues. I want to keep playing as long as possible. This is it.
I hope this rambling makes some sense. Suffice it to say I'm a happy camper. Thanks, Ross.