Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 3:22 pm    

Beautiful

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 8:41 am    

....and the hits just keep on coming!

Just posted two more 'makin' Chips" videos. Check 'em out!

https://youtu.be/p7w_yP761KI
https://youtu.be/3hh-C8WChEA

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 2:05 pm    

Dave Zirbel wrote:
Whoa!

Hey Dave...been a while since I've seen you.
This thread has my interest.

Pete Bailey

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 2:09 pm    

These videos sure are great, Ross. Thanks so much for posting them.

I must admit, you had me scratching my head for a minute in the last video when you talked about the high-strength epoxy made by 3M that "they glue bicycles and airplanes together with". Shocked

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 9:22 pm     What do ya mean Ross?

What do ya mean Ross, "No-one ever died playing Pedal Steel"?
Ever seen what happens in the audience when I take a solo, I mean what happens to those poor folks who can't get out fast enough? Whoa! Rolling Eyes Embarassed Laughing

Like the new videos. Amazing to really let the people know what all goes into making one of these instruments. Maybe they will understand better.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 5:14 pm     Sierra steel guitars

Andy, I have to same sense of humor as you. and I think you pick better than me, lol. Would love to be at Ross's place,
playing with the piglets and trying to teach then to play steel as bad as I do. They would be the Jack Benny piglet players, lol Tho Jack was an excellent violinist. To my buddy Ross, I'll email you again soon buddy. A little bad news and a little good news. ha ah ha
CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 1:10 am     Ross Shafer's SIERRA STEEL GUITARS

It s really really WEIRD for me to change at this time in my life. In March I turn 72, and for the 1st time desire a bunch of money. I have always been the "Green Back Dollar" kind of guy. "Don't give a Damn about the Green Back Dollar, spend it fast as I can" was me. Now I have found a steel guitar that I want very badly and have to find the money to have ROSS build it, as I am designing it in my head. PLANE WEIRD! !
CAA
"It's about the music not the money or the fame" Waylon Jennings
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 6:18 pm    

a little late for the academy awards....but we've just posted another mind bending episode of "Makin' Chips". In this thrilling episode we're putting the bodies together...I hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/2VzLaxJ4HfQ

More on the the way! Or is that moron the way?

Chance Wilson

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 7:53 pm    

Ross if you feel like answering tech nerd stuff here, is there a reason for the node in the neck around the 11th fret or is that the physical center of the neck? (cool design either way). I used to get loctite in chapstick tubes. Since I haven’t been able to find it recently, I’ve brushed it onto the machine screws and let it dry a bit to keep it out of the female parts. My favorite is to use Nyloc machine screws.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 6:57 am    

Howdy Chance, Happy to answer questions here. The location of that "node" (I call it a foot, but node sounds cooler) is placed more for aesthetics than anything, close to the center of the span. Nothin too techy....just an effort to let the top resonate...and they do. These suckers get lots of comments for their sustain.

One of these was delivered early last week, the second is almost complete, but a bad fall and its associated back injury 3 weeks ago has had a muy grande bad effect on my ability to stand at a bench for more than a few minutes at a time so its baby steps for the moment.

I do have a couple of 30 second sound samples of the two guitars mentioned that I'll get posted in the next day or two. Gotta get a sound engineer on 'em first in hopes he can make me sound like I know how to play....gulp!

By the way, all y'all are invited to stop in and check things out here if you ever find yourself in the SF bay area....gimme a call and come see what's happening' on the farm! Who doesn't want to pet Arva....?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 7:43 am    

Looking at mine, the contact area of that "node" goes from just below the 9th fret to just above the 11th fret. I think that if had been at the 12th fret there would have been false harmonics in some keys.

As Ross said, the idea is to get as much vibration in the top as possible. The areas on either side of the node are free to vibrate and add sustain. Just 4 bolts at the corners hold the top to the frame.

I seems to me that this idea could be patentable. Cool

Chance Wilson

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 8:05 pm    

I agree with b0b, but at the 12th fret, I’d be more worried about undesired low frequency feedback/rumble. Eyeballing the dimensions in the pics, I think it couldn’t be in a better place for cancelling non musical hz. I can’t wait to get my hands on 1-hopefully next week! Thx for your time guys.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 6:53 am    

Howdy all, I love, love, love that "new toy and its MINE!" smile when someone gets a cool new toy, tool, musical inst., etc, they've been anticipating.

Making custom bicycles for a couple of decades netted a whole lot of wonderful "NEW BIKE" smiles and memories from happy buyers. These moments rank very high amongst my best bike biz memories.

Got a nice dose of that when the owner of Sierra #6 got his guitar last week. That "new toy" smile helps keep me goin' big time! Thanks Dan!

#7 is done and awaiting delivery....I've got some short "First Notes" vids of 6 & 7 on the Sierra YouTube Channel. Check 'em out!
https://youtu.be/AbnZKjPNrUo
https://youtu.be/76kDQItO4X4

Yours truly is at the wheel on these vids. I don't consider my self much of a player, so what you'll hear is pretty limited....I can only stand to embarrass myself so much ya know!

The guitars are being played though a 74 Princeton Reverb. Recorded on an Iphone

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 8:07 am    

A little update on Sierra production. My parts inventory is built up for S10 and S12 guitars. Current lead time on a new guitar is 6-7 months.

Big thanks to the brave souls who jumped in early. I'm super stoked that you're liking your guitars. Thanks to everyone for your comments and support.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2018 1:05 am     Sierra Steel guitars

Whoa! Very Happy Ross, I look forward to each new creation of yours. Thanks for the video series, I enjoy each segment

I will hold to to slowing a eeek or so to get your back in better shape, lol. Just a reminder friend.
Happy Trails. CAA Very Happy

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 3:00 pm    

Thanks for the reminder Art! I'm on it.

Local steel ace Dave Zirbel came and picked up his new Sierra today...He was smilin'. So was I!

Here's a "First Notes" clip of his new rig: https://youtu.be/_fKLF2g3w60

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 3:10 pm    

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 9:40 pm    

First Notes jigsaw puzzle.

https://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=376a2fdac2d5

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 8:43 am    

Thanks for the puzzle b0b, I gave up after about 30 seconds...putting the pedaled beasts together is as much puzzle as I can handle!

Bobby's got the best time so far at 28:07. First person to beat 25 minutes gets a Sierra hat on me.

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 3:33 pm    

30:09 Sad

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 7:09 pm    

23:55! But I cheated....it's my guitar on the puzzle... Oh Well

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 7:27 pm    

C'mon Dave, you've already got a hat! Contest is still on.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 8:02 pm    

Yep the contest is still on.....
Very Happy

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 6:58 pm    

For those wanting more info on these remarkable guitars, I created a video:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2730138#2730138

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA