The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ???? Win 10
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 6:16 am    

Thanks Wiz!! While I VERY much appreciate this very detailed instruction, unfortunately I'm lost at the very first step,,,,I don't know how to "log into" and "create" these other accounts?? Like you said, I'm probably at some default place because I don't have enough "tech" knowledge to get myself to any other place,,,,

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 7:58 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Thanks Wiz!! While I VERY much appreciate this very detailed instruction, unfortunately I'm lost at the very first step,,,,I don't know how to "log into" and "create" these other accounts?? Like you said, I'm probably at some default place because I don't have enough "tech" knowledge to get myself to any other place,,,,

Sonny;
Please forgive my techspeak. When I say "log into" your computer, I am referring to a screen that appears as the computer is starting up that requires you to click on an account name and probably enter a password in order to get to the computer Desktop and do stuff. The term "Log-in" goes way back to the early days of business, university, science and government computers that required every person using a "workstation or terminal" to enter their assigned credentials in order to use that terminal. It is a security measure that continues to this day.

Windows 10, which we are discussing in this thread, has a start-up "Welcome/Sign-in" screen (which doubles as the "Lock screen" after resuming from sleep mode) where all of the currently active user accounts on that computer can be accessed to log into them. Microsoft now refers to this as the Sign-in screen and offers Sign-in options inside the Settings App.

If your computer has just one user account, it may or may not require you to sign in, depending on how you or your computer tech has set up the sign-in options. If you have set a password on your Windows user account, to protect it from thieves or kids, you must enter that password at the Sign-in/Welcome screen. If you have also set it up to require a password after resuming from sleep, that password input box appears on the "Lockscreen" - which can have any background image you choose. If you choose to not require a password at resume, moving the mouse or hitting a key on the keyboard will simply turn on your monitor to your Desktop, as you left it.

I hope this helps 'splain the situation!
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Chuck Miller

Newton, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2017 5:42 am    

"It appears that you are an administrator level USER. That is the default configuration of a new install of Windows"

Thats what allows most of the exploits to work. Most people that have a computer don't know the difference between account types. Click on a bad link, or load a contaminated program, and the exploit already has all the privileges it needs. Someone at Microsoft thinks it is too much trouble to log in to an Administrator account when needing to install programs and such. This is one of the things that Unix/Linux has done for years.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2017 7:11 am    

Sonny;
I began writing an extensive technical article last night that will describe the main differences between using a Windows 10 Administrator account and a Standard User account. I have a lot of minutia that I need to smooth out before I publish it to my security blog. I will report back here when it is online and provide a link to it.

Until then, since you operate as an Administrator, make sure you are using the best anti-virus/anti-malware programs you can afford. If you do not have any commercial av installed, Windows Defender should be actively monitoring and scanning your operating system. It does a fair job and is getting better all the time. It is better than nothing.

Make sure you are allowing automatic Windows Updates and Adobe program updates. Flash and Adobe PDF Reader exploits are still a major route to malware installations. If you use a different third party PDF reader, update it regularly.

I don't know if or how you send and receive email. But, you must be super cautious about any email that has an attachment, or links that could point to dangerous websites disguised as trusted destinations. It is trivial to do this using an HTML email template. You see a link claiming to go to your bank, but actually goes to an exploited website somewhere in the World. Or, you get an email claiming to contain an invoice for a purchase you don't remember making. If you open that attachment and it contains hostile code, your Administrator level account will grant the scripts all the privileges they need to take over the PC.

The weakest link in the computer security chain lies between the chair and the keyboard.

Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2017 7:23 am    

I eluded to this earlier, but never gave any more details. Back in 2009 I published a blog article that documented how operating a Windows computer with reduced user privileges would reduce your likelihood of malware takeover by up to 92%. That percentage moves up and down from time to time. You'd think that the numbers would drop with time and the wide deployment of Windows 10 ... but they didn't. The exploitability of admin level accounts is now up to 94%! The details and links to sources will be included in the blog article I am working on.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 18 May 2017 7:54 am    

Thanks Wiz,,,so I guess I need to know step by step HOW to create my 2 separate identities on this computer,,,after I click win (start),,,then?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2017 8:02 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Thanks Wiz,,,so I guess I need to know step by step HOW to create my 2 separate identities on this computer,,,after I click win (start),,,then?

I can't help you right now. I have to go to work in my leather shop, which is my real job. I will be detailing the steps for creating separate admin and standard user accounts in my blog article. You can get some tips by reading my other blog post, which I linked to in my previous reply.

You are probably going to have to create a new account to use for administrator jobs. Afterward, you will be demoting your current account. Do nothing without further advice, or reading how to articles.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 18 May 2017 8:16 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:

The weakest link in the computer security chain lies between the chair and the keyboard.

I'll keep watching that space. Haven't seen the eporblm yet....

I'm glad I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb, Windows just updates itself for me... tra la....