INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

How do you like it now? (Details)

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Using a Geo L PF-1
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post Posted 9 May 2017 10:52 am     Reply with quote

I have been using a George L PF-1 pickup on my old MSA Classic, should I try something else to improve the sound of the old Guitar??
To me it does sound a bit better than the MSA orginal pickup that was on the guitar. Got any idea if this is a better pickup?

Ernie Shocked
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post Posted 9 May 2017 11:11 am     Reply with quote

The PF-1 is a great pickup, humbucking and wound to 18.5k ohmage resistance. I'm in the process of replacing the original Emmons single-coils in my 1983 PP with PF-1s.

Since improving the sound is completely subjective, I don't know of any way another pickup will sound "better" than the PF-1. Maybe different, but "better" is anyone's opinion only.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bill Ferguson

Norcross, GA USA
Post Posted 9 May 2017 11:30 am     Reply with quote

You also might try an electric volume pedal (if you do not already use one).
A Telonics or Hilton will greatly clean up the sound.

That being said, the old MSA Classics had a dark tone.
AUTHORIZED GeorgeL's, Goodrich & Telonics Dealer: 1993 Green Emmons D-10 LeGrande w/ Emmons 108 pickups, 2004 Mahogany Carter D-10 w/ Lawrence XR16 pickups, 1989 Zumsteel D-10 w/ Alumitone pickups, Goodrich or Telonics Volume Pedal, George L's Cable & Strings, Peavey Nashville 112 (I have 2), Peavey Session 115 and a Telonics Combo 112
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post Posted 9 May 2017 5:52 pm     Reply with quote

Bill Ferguson wrote:
You also might try an electric volume pedal (if you do not already use one).
A Telonics or Hilton will greatly clean up the sound.

That being said, the old MSA Classics had a dark tone.

.....especially when played by Chalker.... Winking
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post Posted 10 May 2017 4:46 am     Thanks, for the info Reply with quote

I am using a Hilton Volume pedal, so I guess I should be a happy camper. I think the old MSA sounds pretty good, at least its the best sounding MSA I have ever owned. I use 5 pedals & 5 knee levers. I know, I should be happy, unless I want to spend another fortune for another guitar, hell, at my age I just don't think that will happen!!

Ernie Smile
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post Posted 10 May 2017 5:24 am     Reply with quote

Ernie, I put a telonics pickup on the E9 side of my MSA and the difference was night and day. While it may be a boat anchor to haul around, it's the best sound I have ever had. I recently added a Hilton Digital Sustain and a Zoom MS50g processor to my rig. I'd put my rig up against anybody's !
Bill Ferguson

Norcross, GA USA
Post Posted 10 May 2017 5:42 am     Reply with quote

Ernie, what kind of cables are you using?
And I mean, every cable. ie, to effects and etc.
AUTHORIZED GeorgeL's, Goodrich & Telonics Dealer: 1993 Green Emmons D-10 LeGrande w/ Emmons 108 pickups, 2004 Mahogany Carter D-10 w/ Lawrence XR16 pickups, 1989 Zumsteel D-10 w/ Alumitone pickups, Goodrich or Telonics Volume Pedal, George L's Cable & Strings, Peavey Nashville 112 (I have 2), Peavey Session 115 and a Telonics Combo 112
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post Posted 10 May 2017 9:11 am     Pick Up Reply with quote

George L E-66. Had a bad to the bone sound on my Sho Bud D 10 back in the 90's. I also used and still use George L .155 cables with a Hilton volume pedal.
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post Posted 10 May 2017 10:34 am     Ernie again Reply with quote

Bill, I am using Geo L cables, all the way, I do use a Profex 2, Hilton Vol pedal. I guess I have a pretty good sound. I will be keeping the PF pickup on there. I don't get around too much anymore & just do a few gigs a month, so I guess I am going keep things as they are. I do think the MSA sounds good with this combination. When I play with a band, I use an old Nashville 400 with the black widow spkr. But when I do my own thing at the nursing homes I just play through my Yamaha PA channel & too me, it still sounds real good. I do a lot of instrumentals & sing myself when not in a band situtation [but with a band is where I really enjoy picking. Backing up youself & singing at the same time, can be a bit of a 'hold back' of sorts!! But its still steel guitar & its still fun. By the way, new steel was a MSA D-10, but with 5 pedals & 5 knees & a little change in the strings I play a few in the B6th tuning, this pickup really shines doing that stuff. Thanks to all for you replys, I appreciate it. I use a lots of tracks that I make myself with the computer & my other instruments, damn it sure is fun!!

Ernie Smile
John Goux

California, USA
Post Posted 17 May 2017 9:09 pm     Reply with quote

Try bypassing the tone and volume knobs on the guitar, if it has them. It will give you a bit more oomph. Some steels have a mini toggle to bypass the tone or not.
One of my guitars has this switch, and I always have the tone and volume out of the circuit. It sounds better.
J
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post Posted 18 May 2017 4:46 am     Reply with quote

I have an MSA S-12, with a Hoffnar Tonealigner.
I'm VERY fond of its tone.