The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hilton Low Profile VP
Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 1:05 pm    

I've been using a Hilton pedal for a few months now and I love it. I recently purchased a new steel and found that the low profile version of the Hilton is a much better fit. I was a little worried that the faster travel would be awkward but I've found that I actually prefer it. The only concern I have is that I can hear what amounts to something like a filter sweep when pushing the pedal forward quickly while playing a note. Now, I should say that I'm still getting used to the sensitivity of the travel and increasing the volume at this extreme isn't ideal anyway. I compared it with my standard vp and it does the same thing but I never noticed before because I simply have no need to increase the full range of volume that quickly. I guess my question here is, does anyone know what causes this and has anyone with a low profile vp experienced this? As I said, I believe it'll work itself out as I become more acclimated to the shorter travel. It is odd though.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 7:11 am    

No one else has a low profile Hilton?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 8:25 am    

I have a Hilton low profile and never noticed the problem you seem to be having. Very Happy

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 1:37 pm    

No such problem with my Hilton or any of the many I have owned.
Jerry

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 2:24 pm    

Thanks, guys. I wouldn't call it a problem as much as an unexpected observation. I'm not even sure I would notice it at stage volume. The electrical in my apartment can be a bit noisy so it could very well be the source. Just one of those things that now that I've noticed it I'd like to understand it. I did email Keith so I'm waiting to hear his take on the matter.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 3:25 pm    

I've never noticed such an issue, and I'm not going to go looking for it. My Hilton low profile pedal is the only VP I use. I do have others. It's totally reliable and feels just right to me.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 3:53 pm    

Well, I certainly wouldn't ask anyone to look for it and I'm not knocking the Hilton pedals. I've been very happy with both the standard and the low profile. I was simply looking for any other owners who had experienced this as it seemed odd to me.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 5:34 pm    

Hi, Mat.

My Hilton doesn't do that. Since both your pedals do it, I'm wondering if maybe it's not the pedal but something with the guitar/amp/AC power... something other than the pedal?

I'll bring mine over and we can compare and see if the problem still happens. Can't wait to see your NEW WILLIAMS!

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 9:12 am    

Hey, Tucker. I am starting to suspect that it is more likely power related. I'm going to try a few things and see if I can't figure out the source. Let me know when you want to come by. I'm really loving the Williams!