The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickup Resistance BL and Telonics
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 7:32 am    

Can ya'll give me the resistance reading results comparing BL705, BL710, Telonics 84, Telonics 409? I think the 710 is 30K, can't find the others. Thanks
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 10:58 am    

Bill Lawrence didn't use DC "Ohms" (the actual DC resistance of the wire) as a parameter. Thus the DC resistance of the pickups can all be different, even two of the same model may not be the same.

Bill used "AC" parameters (consider a pickup is an AC device, not a DC device).

The 710's in my Franklin, one is 29.7K and the other is 28.3K but they were made to the AC design parameters and thus are electronically the same.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 11:42 am    

Hi Jack,
I've just picked up the basic theory of pickup design over years of playing and number of pickups that I've had in my guitars. The wire diameter and number of turns creates differences of tone in single coil pickups. Plus, 10 string vs 12 string windings to get the same tonal results, humbuckers creating another theory. I'm trying to get a handle on the differences in windings and tone between the most popular humbuckers, but also taking into consideration the variations in magnet materials and poles vs blades. I'm curious about windings between the most popular.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 1:17 am    

The differences between different brands of, for example a single coil 10 string pickup with the same DC resistance can vary greatly - even vary within the brand unless the AC electronic parameters, such as "Henry's", Inductive reactance, etc are taken into consideration. Just winding enough turns on a pickup to a certain DC resistance measurement is iffy at best.

I know a lot of people reference a pickup by the DC resistance but most of those that do, do not know electronics.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 4:39 am    

Unfortunately, the public only has a multimeter and the knowledge to use it as a means of measuring a pickup. So, we use resistance to get somewhat close to the tone we're hoping for. I had a TT pickup wound to the suggested resistance (20k) for my 1976 birdseye maple body and neck MSA. It sounded murky, so I sent it back and had some windings removed (19k)and still slightly murky. Sent it back and removed more windings to 18.3k and perfect. However, I eventually got into studio work and had to go to a Telonics 427 Humbucker. I still have a TT on my Zum and switch guitars on band jobs sometimes. The tone settings on my amp are drastically different between the two guitars, so I'm considering switching the 427 out of my MSA for another humbucker. Hence, my inquiry. I don't want to have to keep buying different wound or brands of pickups until I get it right. Gets kind of expensive.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 5:44 am    

The other problem is the same pickup on a different brand of guitar can sound different or not change the characteristic tone of the guitar.

My Franklin came with Lawrence 705's. I changed them to the 710's around 2000. Except for better string "separation" there was no difference in tone. My Franklin sounded the same.

A friend has an Emmons Legrande II. He replaced the stock single coil Emmons pickups with Lawrence 710's. He got rid of the single coil hum but his Emmons still sounds like an Emmons.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 1:47 pm    

Are there any comparisons between the 710 vs Telonics 84,34 or 206? Individual adjustable pole pieces might be an advantage with the Telonics 84?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 2:27 am    

I know nothing about the Telonics pickups.