The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  steel guitar case
Loren Depping

Lihue, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 11:13 pm    

Sorry, I know this isn't an electronics question, but I'm not sure where to post it.

I have a Fender Deluxe (8-string) lap steel. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried to carry their lap steel in a ukulele gig bag--like a bass uke. I notice some players who go to steel festivals do this, and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for a good brand, especially for the Fender. My goal is to put the gig bag on my back and carry it on the plane when I travel. Any thoughts?

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2019 1:04 am    

Taking things on planes these days, you may want to check with your intended airline if they allow your guitar on board, {BEFORE YOU FLY} especially if you're planning a soft case gig bag.

AND, if you are making a connecting flight, make sure you ask that airline as well.

You might get on one plane with the guitar and not the next.

Not all airlines have the same baggage rules.

And if you plan to go out of the country, you might want to brush up on CITES rules for proving your guitar is not made of protected woods, because when you go back to the U.S. you might encounter getting asked about your wooden instrument, where you bought it and if you know what woods it's made of and from whence the tree that lent its life to your guitar, came.

Yeah, that's whassup these days...Rolling Eyes

Unless someone chimes with your particular guitar and has a gig bag, you might want to bring your guitar to a store that has one and try one on for size.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2019 5:08 am    

Depending on what sort of ticket you buy there are big differences with baggage and carry on rules even with the same airline. Read the fine print !

Also you could go to a sporting goods store and look at archery and gun bags. Plentiful with lots of choices.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2019 10:21 pm     Steel Guitar Case

Before going on a trip out of the USA, Even Canada. Get on the internet and enter CPB Form 4457. This will bring up a US Government form. You can fill it in out right on your computer. Do not sign or date the form till you are in front of US Customs agent. At the Airport or border. They will also sign and stamp the form. It is good for several years.

I have about 3 forms with my pass port. All cameras, binoculars, firearms, computer and such I have taken to Canada and Alaska.

CPB Form 4457 proves you had it in the USA and left the USA with it. You did not buy or steal it in another country.
It is just one of the hoops you have to jump through with customs.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2019 7:58 am    

I recently flew from Toronto to LA with a Fender Deluxe (single neck 8 String) in it's original intended case and it fit easily in the over head. I let them know at the gate and I got had to open the case at Security, but no problem at all.

Chris Scruggs posted that he had done the same thing.

Still - best to check with the airline.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2019 10:48 am    

I have a Deluxe-8 that I carry in a Martin Backpacker gig bag. It has a pouch to put accessories in like a volume pedal and cords.
https://www.elderly.com/products/martin-gigbag-for-backpacker-guitar