The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aluminum Lap Steel
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 1:41 am    

I absolutely fell in love with a picture a friend of mine sent me of his Clinesmith. I don't have the resources to get castings made so I did the next best thing. I looked around the shop and found 2 used, but suitable sheets of 3mm aluminum and made mine with what I had. After 2.5 months of coming in to work daily, an hour early, I finally got to hear it last night. It was well worth the 5 AM starts to work on it. It has great sustain and has a sound all it's own. I have a 5" resonator cone inside since the whole thing is hollow. It sounds good without an amp, but very, very nice plugged in. Thanx for taking a look.........now... to get better at playing.Picture filePicture filePicture file Very Happy Very Happy

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 2:38 am    

Nice job--looks fantastic!

Dave

Ralph Czitrom

Ringwood, New Jersey
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 5:27 am    

Excellent look, Bill! Hollow aluminum with resonator cone. That doesn't happen too often...Inquiring minds would love to hear what it sounds like, plugged and unplugged...Congratulations.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 6:21 am    

That is amazing.
You did one heck of a job on that guitar. Beautiful.
........and yes, we need to hear it.... Mr. Green
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 6:40 am    

Just stunning...your best pics yet.

What type of pickup do you have in there?

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 6:42 am    

Stephen Abruzzo wrote:
Just stunning...your best pics yet.

What type of pickup do you have in there?

I have a strat style single coil from CB Gitty out of New Hampshire. I think it was around $14.99? I can't play well enough to know the difference between Pups. I do know that this combo sounds great.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 6:51 am    

Larry Carlson wrote:
That is amazing.
You did one heck of a job on that guitar. Beautiful.
........and yes, we need to hear it.... Mr. Green

If I could play well enough I sure would like to let you all hear it. Unfortunately I have only been at it for 6 months and doing it on my own. If I can talk this one guy on here to play it and record it I believe that he would do it justice, so stay tuned and hopefully at sometime in the future it will happen. Trust me, there is no better Lapsteel player than this guy........and you all know him. Smile

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 3:49 pm    

Bill, that is a great looking steel ! I am always amazed at someone who can build a steel...keep pickin' !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 12:32 pm    

Well done
I would add that cast aluminum and extruded aluminum have very different sonic and resonating qualities. In case you were hoping to replicate a cast aluminum lap steel....their molecules fit together much different and that really effects the tone....main thing is that you like it...really great workmanship

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 11:24 pm    

Reiterating the age-old cosmic question:
Do crazy people play steel guitar, or does playing steel guitar make you crazy?
Nifty!

There's all kinds of aluminum six-strings kicking around now, sheet metal, and cast, and machined. Some nice sheet steel ones too. They used to make automobiles, airplanes, samurai body armor and even cannons out of wood at one time, but they outgrew that pretty quick! Especially the cannons.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 4:35 am    

Mark Roeder wrote:
Well done
I would add that cast aluminum and extruded aluminum have very different sonic and resonating qualities. In case you were hoping to replicate a cast aluminum lap steel....their molecules fit together much different and that really effects the tone....main thing is that you like it...really great workmanship

I thank each of you for your positive comments. My first two LS were made from curly maple. After seeing an Aluminum Clinesmith and me being a machinist for the last 50 years I thought this would be a nice project for me. I knew from the start it would not sound like cast aluminum and that was not my intention. I just was after a playable, nice looking knock-off CS with a little bit of a different look from me. Funny thing about this LS. When you first pick it up, it is a tad flat. When it warms up from your lap it is a tad sharp. I guess Mark, I will have to invest in one of your stands........maybe, if I'm good Santa will bring me one. Very Happy