The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clamping a Black Box to PSG leg?
Dieter Stoll

Germany
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 10:27 pm    

Hello,
has anybody ever tried to do that? And if so, how? I have this weird desire to reduce clutter on the floor, and I am trying to think of ways to clamp the BB to the right front leg where it would be in the immediate vicinity of the output jack and the Peterson tuner.
It's one heavy mother alright, but then again there are two convenient threaded holes on the bottom. Any ideas welcome!

Lyle Dent

Little Rock ,Arkansas
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 8:09 am     Black Box

Dieter, here's how I did mine. The straps are for added security. Brad also makes a rack for the Black Box and Octal. If you play guitar just unplug the steel and plug in whatever.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 8:23 am    

Dieter, I just bought a couple of these leg clamps and got screws from the hardware store to fit the BB. I bought 2 of the "short ones. They work just fine for me, and don't cost a fortune. Now my BB is attached to the leg of my steel within easy reach.

Here's the link...

http://www.steelguitarshopper.com/accessories/?sort=featured&page=3

Dieter Stoll

Germany
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 9:13 am    

Thanks a bunch, Mike and Lyle, for reassuring me that the idea isn't utterly gaga Smile

I guess I'm going to follow Lyle's lead. Remove the cover, screw two holders (broomstick holders from the hardware store I'm guessing?) on, and secure with straps.

It will be tricky for me to get non-metric screws to fit the threaded holes on the bottom. And while the one closer to the rear panel has got a lot of clearance inside, the other one sits smack underneath the printed circuit board, so if the screw protrudes too much it can wreak havoc with the electronics.

I'll have a go at it shortly, and post the results here. Thanks again mates!

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 11:10 am     Black Box

Dieter,

I made something out of some thin walled aluminum channel and screwed it to the bottom of my Black Box (using the existing threaded holes for the feet). I just hang it on the right edge of the bottom of my steel seat and close the lid. It now faces me, so I can access the variable Z control, connections, etc.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 11:46 am    

You can also make those clamps out of PVC conduit. Pick a size to fit the diameter of your legs, then could about 1/3 of the round away lengthwise. It should snap on the leg.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 12:20 pm    

I will warn people that if you play with single coil pickups, the power supply transformer inside the Black Box can radiate some hum when placed too close to the pickup.

B

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 8:31 am    

There's a man here named Steve English who can make a very nice rack or holder for the black box. He made one for me.

Dieter Stoll

Germany
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 4:39 am    

Brad Sarno wrote:
I will warn people that if you play with single coil pickups, the power supply transformer inside the Black Box can radiate some hum when placed too close to the pickup.

Thanks for chiming in, Brad. Fair warning. It's a GFI II pickup though, so I expect no worries in that department.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 1:25 pm    

I no longer have it. but played a few hundred jobs with one hanging off my seat. I made some straps just like my friend Lynn described. No problem with single coils.another handy benefit was I could slip the cable out of the box and into a tuner on my leg very quickly for silent tuning, and it kept the tuner out my signal chain.

Dieter Stoll

Germany
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 1:32 am    

Thanks again for y'all's input. Here's how I did it. I found a surplus adjustable clamp that's actually used in photo studios to clamp equipment such as light screens and other fixtures to tripods or other tubular stands.

So much for planning; let's get down to it. You know the drill Very Happy Pilot hole, then go full size:

and I ended up with this:

Lamentably, I don't have a PSG handy here at the office (note to self: Why the heck not??). So I had to try it out on a chair leg. A little skinnier than the PSG leg, but proof of concept all the same.

Feels nice and sturdy. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 8:02 am    

Well done, Dieter. I see that great innovative German engineering is still alive and well!! Cool Very Happy