The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question Re Writing Up Tabs
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 10:15 am    

Ever since I took lessons in 1948, I've been writing TABS by hand (See Tennessee Waltz below. Is there any computerized program that I could use to get the exact same or suitable format? For example, I cannot have a line across the top row of numbers.

Thanks.

Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 10:57 am    

There are a number of tab writing programs that I'm not familiar with but I think you could use a word processor to make a grid of how ever many lines you wanted and use that.
I'm not sure how to do that either but its worth a try.
Not much help am I, of course I'm old as the hills as well.

George Rout

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 1:02 pm    

Thanks Charlie. I've heard several terms over the years such as "Tabledit" and others that I cannot remember at this point. At my age, I probably won't be writing out too many anyway. Thanks again.
Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 1:15 pm    

Hey George,
Here's the TablEdit site. You can download a free copy of the program and try it out.
http://tabledit.com/
Maybe John Russell will chime in with what he's using. He's putting out some really professional looking tab these days.
As for me...I'm still a pencil and paper guy Smile

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 2:56 pm    

This is not a slam. I wish the tab was bigger, as was Jeff Newmans. It is hard us old folks to see, when it is a normal size, and is 3 feet from your eyes on a music stand. I appreciate everyone that is done. Erv has a nice size on his too. Don't know what it would cause, but just wondering.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

George Rout

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 3:52 pm    

Thanks guys, I'll have to look into that. I'm actually legally blind, so all of this can be problematic for me. I use Zoomtext on my computer. Anyway, I'll look into Tabledit.

Geo

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 4:31 pm    

Well, I'm legally blind in my left eye (20/200 vision) and 20/19 in my right. I have what they call a lazy eye, never learnt to see. Now I'm lazy, must have rub off hahaha Have seen this way all my life, even 21 years in the military.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 9:15 am    

Jim,
Thanks for the nice comment on my tab.
I occasionally get some complaints because of the size of my tabs. A lot of my tabs are written on legal sized paper but I hate to shrink them down because of the problem mentioned; they would be harder to read. Very Happy

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 1:15 pm    

I think John Russell uses an Excel Spreadsheet for his tab, Excel cost a bunch but you could probably get by with Google Sheets. I use Powertab for Guitar and Dobro, free program but only has 6 strings.
Bruce

Alan Judson

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2021 6:06 am    

This guy does a great tutorial on using Guitar Pro to do pedal steel tabs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8NfpNbwgJg&t