The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  M.S.A. Sidekick ?
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 8:40 am    

I just repaired, put on new strings and moved a knee lever on an MSA side kick for a customer and want to say what a great playing and sounding guitar they are. Also, light as a feather. I was really shocked at the tone and ease of playing of this guitar. Little tricky on tuning, especially the 4th string but very doable.
What year were the Sidekicks made if anyone knows?

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 12:02 pm    

I had one that I bought new either in late 1976 or early 1977. I definitely would have ordered it in 76.

David Martin

Kingsport, TN 37660 USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 4:54 pm    

I have a red one that I bought in 1974. It was my first pedal steel. I played it in my first band for about 2 years. It's been in storage since then,after I got a Sho-Bud Pro III. Several steels since then. The Sidekick is a great starter steel.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 8:58 am    

The Sidekick was basically the same pull/release design guitar as the infamous Red Baron. They made a few different iterations of the Sidekick, however, some with draw-bars, and some with regular rods and pullers. Some had straight-bar keyheads, and some had (better) stepped versions. They also made a Sidekick Pro-Am model for a short period, which was a slightly more capable model, as it had the standard MSA (all-pull) changer. While these budget-minded guitars usually came with only one lever, they were both decent and lightweight; and a fairly good entry-level instrument for folks who didn't have a lot of money.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 9:18 am    

Thanks everyone for the input in the Sidekick. This one I'm working on my be the Pro-Am model, don't really know. It's a well built guitar with regular pedals and pedal bar and has the plastic covered body. This one is black. It has three pedals and one knee that lowers E's. It plays extremely easy and positive and sounds good also. I'd play one anywhere. Just needs a few more knee levers.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 11:21 am    

Magically Magnificently Melodiously Marvelous.
Stupendous. Spectacular. Sonic-ally Superior.
Amazing. Astonishing Absolutely Awesome.