The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Trial Tab – “Slide Off of Your Satin Sheets” - B Flat
Mike Wenger

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 4:45 am    

If some of you guys with more experience than I have could test drive this tab and offer comments, advice, criticisms, etc., I would greatly appreciate it. The tab is for the three measures following the first verse’s lyrics… “Splendor, Lord, you’ve got it wall to wall.”

The lick is at 0:24-0:30 in the following YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNZLr0Ifg4o&list=RDPNZLr0Ifg4o

The tab has the rhythm above it, and I have also included the score. I have the copedent that came with the ZumSteel Encore that I got several months ago. Can post that if needed. I just got started with playing, so I’m pretty wet behind the ears, and I’d appreciate any help you fellows could give me.

The most difficult part of this is trying to simulate the “slithering effect,” noted in a previous post on this board regarding this same tab fragment. Pieces of the posted tab were very helpful (particularly the A B LKR move), but it seemed as though the tab might have been written for a different copedent, as some of the moves just didn’t make sense. Here is the link to that posting.
https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum8/HTML/002395.html

There is a lot of downward slithering in Jim Vest’s recording of this song. The only way I could figure out how to simulate some of that was to use an AB RKL move on the 8th fret to get the No.5 7th chord, and also a LKL move on the 4th fret, again, to get the No.5 7th chord. That provided a way to do the downward slithering, but the moves feel really awkward—probably because I haven’t been playing long, and don’t have a great deal of time to practice.

I haven’t yet done the bottom string alternate tuning thing, either. Hope to work that in at some point.

Anyway, here it is.

Mike Wenger

Mike Wenger

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 6:50 am     Edited the posting above

Inserted a link and tweaked the text a bit.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 3:23 pm    

Great work Mike; all looks mighty fine and great explanations of what's going on and what to accomplish.
And awesome postings of text/links/photo tab....>that's not easy stuff bro...great work.
Ricky

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 12:19 pm    

Mike, in the first bar when you go from 8 with ab back to 7 to 6 keep the a pedal down also and release at 6.
The lick in the last bar is at 4th fret, pick 2,3,5 with ab down and release, then pick 1 then 3, and then 4,5,6 at 6th
Hope this helps.

Mike Wenger

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 5:35 pm     Will "Test Drive" This Tomorrow

Thanks, Gary! Greatly appreciated!

Mike Wenger

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 6:58 pm    

Guys,

Am corresponding with another player who had a question regarding my copedent, so here it is.