The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dean Holman on Presley's Country show
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 9:14 am    

Last nite I watched the Presley's show on RFD. Dean played an instrumental that was great. When he finished Jay told the name of the song but I did not catch the name. Did anyone one else see the show and do you know the name of the song? I have heard it before but can't come up with the name.

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 10:04 am    

It was called Midnight Silence. And as always, Dean did a wonderful job.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 10:06 am    

Midnight Silence is right. It is on a Lloyd Green album, I believe the album is called reflections. A great song and Dean did a great song.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 11:40 am    

"Midnight Silence" is not listed on Reflections, Larry.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 11:51 am    

Midnight Silence came out looong before Reflections...

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 12:15 pm    

Now that you guys mentioned it, I heard Lloyd play it. Great song!! Dean did a great job.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 6:58 pm    

Hey guys,
Thanks for the compliments. Midnight Silence is one of my very favorite Lloyd Green songs'. I heard Lloyd play this at the convention in St.Louis back in 93. Lloyd recorded this song on his album "Lloyd Green and his Steel Guitar ". I believe this album came out in 71. I've always loved the melody and the way it goes from a waltz to a shuffle and then back to a waltz. I hope maybe this year they will let me do another steel guitar tune on the TV show. I'm trying my best to play some good stuff. I think back to the days when I used to watch some of the shows on TNN. I think this will be the 7th year now that Presleys has done the shows on RFD. I hope it will continue and I hope I am doing the show justice. I also hope that you all are enjoying the sound of my Rittenberry. I may record some shows with my Zumsteel this year. Anyhow, thanks for tuning in to the show and I'll do the best I can to keep steel guitar in the spotlight.

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 7:09 pm    

Dean you played beautifully last night and your Rittenberry sounded amazing.. Slim

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 5:46 am    

Dean you are doing a fantastic job keep up the good work. The Presley's are one of my favorite shows on RFD and I try to watch it every week. BTW is Kimberly and Mel related?

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 10:37 am    

"Midnight Silence" is among my all time favorite Lloyd Green tunes. I didn't see Dean's version but I am sure it was great. Dean, saw you several times on RFD and always loved your smooth and tasty playing!

For those of you who weren't aware:

http://www.lloydgreentribute.com/

The "Recordings" section has a listing of all of Lloyd's instrumental albums, covers, song selection and comments. Feel free to look around!

Kind Regards, Walter

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 4:41 pm    

Sorry I missed Dean's version too! That's my favorite Lloyd Green album. Digitized it for my iPhone are we years ago and listen regularly. Back in the old days (before I even had a drivers license) they used to play "Sound Waves" seemed like every other hour on WIVK AM out if Knoxville. Very Happy

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 7:46 pm    

Bill Mack also used "Sound Waves" for bumper music for his midnight show on WBAP in Ft. Worth. I heard it for years before I knew who played it and bought the record it was on.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Doug Rolfe

Indianapolis, IN
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 10:03 pm    

Mel and Kimberly are married. They met in Nashville while performing at Opryland several years ago.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 3:21 am    

"the way it goes from a waltz to a shuffle and then back to a waltz". I guess it's this one. But I think you have to be on FB to view it.
https://www.facebook.com/PresleysBranson/videos/10154768123204000/?pnref=story

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 3:32 am     Dean

Dean is doing a great job on that show

hes a fine player!

I love his attack he digs in good and so clear

it is a good show also they do some good tunes

keep going Dean

mike

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 12:12 pm    

I saw your version of Midnight Silence Dean and it was awesome. I love the tune and learned it to play, not as well as you, on our show and went over well. Don't think I've played it since, since that's not a tune you can play unrehearsed.

I think the Presley Show is one of the very best shows on RFD channel and in Branson with one of the best bands and singers of any show and one of my favorite fiddle players, Cortland Ingram. Keep up the good work Dean.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 12:09 pm    

"Midnight Silence" just popped up on my Itunes playlist, it was on the "Lloyd Green and His Steel Guitar" album.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 4:17 pm    

I truly enjoy the show and enjoy Deans Playing and his versatility on other instruments. Very well rehearsed band with quality vocals. If I have one dislike it's the Harp player on songs he should hang off, especially when it calls for a Steel or string instrument solo. Way too much Harp at times.

Raymond White

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2017 11:07 am     too much harp...

I agree wit what joe casey said,too much harmonica.thanks, ray white.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2017 12:24 pm     Re: too much harp...

Raymond White wrote:
I agree wit what joe casey said,too much harmonica.thanks, ray white.

Me too. For me, just a little harp is way to much. It even gets on my nerves in blues. The harp is to me, what the bangjoe is to B0B.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2017 2:11 pm    

Are you serious? You don't appreciate Little Walter or Micky Raphael Shocked

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2017 3:22 pm    

I feel the same about harmonicas but I can say, that guy on there is one of the best I've every heard. His OBS is 2nd to none.
We that dislike a harmonica have probably had somewhere down the line, a bad experience with one. Mine was in a band I was playing with for a while that had a harmonica player. He was good but played all the time, played on every ride, all backup and just over rode everything in the band. Nobody else seems to notice but I did. From then on, I've been allergic to them.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.