The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do you play by ear ? Self taught ?
Brian Waits

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 6:29 am    

Just wondering how many learned PSG without lessons other than maybe youtube videos and such and play by ear.
Satisfied with your progress ?
Session 400 with JBL D130

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 7:08 am    

I learned how to play guitar, as most guitarists do, by ear. Didn't take any lessons until I was in my 20s and wanted to play jazz. However, I studied music theory on my own and in high school and it helped me understand the way things worked, like harmony. Once I had some knowledge and strong ears, I could listen to music and tell you the changes, even without an instrument in my hand.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 7:47 am    

If you want to play with other musicians, the more you know about music the easier it is to communicate with them.

Brian Waits

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 8:10 am     Agree

While I agree 100%, the reason I am interested is I am a retired radio air personality and have been associated with many that have displayed awesome talent with no formal training and without the ability to read music. What I don't understand is I know someone that plays an instrument that can only play if they have the sheet music. Can't play by ear at all. How is it someone can play wonderful with music but not without.
personally, everything I do is by ear. Just seems if you could play by sheet music you could play by ear as well.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 8:46 am    

When I started in 1971, all I had was records, any TV shows that had a steel player, and live players if you were old enough to get into the clubs (I wasn't).

I was previously a drummer, and had music class in elementary school, but that is the only formal schooling I had. Most of my theory learnin' was from my brother who was learning theory and and how to play jazz guitar. 🎸

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 9:42 am    

I've always had a problem reading and understanding almost any instructions. I like to learn by being shown how to do it. I'm very hands on. So, when it came to sheet music, I was very backward. I have been gifted with a very good ear for music, so, basically, that's how I play. I did attend several of Jeff Newmans seminars, which, helped immensely in the logistics of playing the steel. I started playing 6 string guitar when I was 8 yrs old. It just came naturally. Charts are easy for me and tab works out ok too. I can manage very simple sheet music, but, it still takes time. I wish I had the knowledge of music, but, I couldn't lay the bricks for a good foundation. However, after 60 yrs of playing music, I have a pretty good handle on it. I can play or figure out almost anything I can hear.

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 11:20 am    

Man....I read Richard's post and I thought he was talking about me except in School band as a percussionist had to take a couple of years piano to get my Theory.

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 11:49 am    

To begin with my first teacher taught me to read music by note. It was later that I developed an ear for music. Along the way I studied music theory and chord construction. I also acquired some of the videos and teaching tapes. So it's a combination of all the foregoing . At this point I find it easier to just rely on my ear but I have all the other stuff to double check my performance. I still read music but tend to get a little rusty at it.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 11:58 am    

I have 'quick' ears so I'm fortunate. Right from day one (1957 for me) I could hear intervals with ease so I found myself bluffing my way - quite effectively - to becoming a pro musician.

Much later, when I started dabbling with pedal steel, I approached it in the same way. Apart from some useful pointers from my friend Gerry Hogan I pretty much winged it.

Now I regret that. Steel guitar requires a more structured approach in terms of physical technique and I think I'm still paying the price for my impatience. I'm still able to convince my employers that I can play so I get by. But I can hear the bad stuff.

As far as reading and theory are concerned I slapped myself on the wrist in my 30s and made a real effort to catch up. That was the best move I ever made and qualified me to take reading gigs. That will broaden your options in a hurry.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 11:59 am    

Quote:
Can't play by ear at all. How is it someone can play wonderful with music but not without.
personally, everything I do is by ear. Just seems if you could play by sheet music you could play by ear as well.

Folks "train" one side of their brain or the other and then over time, they rely on that side of their brain to do the heavy lifting.
Some people can't play without music in front of them.
Some people can't or won't take the time to learn how to read music.
Folks that have "trained themselves" to quickly improvise but can also read sheet music have the best of both worlds.

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 12:23 pm    

I learned mostly by myself, with additional help from Jeff Newman seminars. I'm also fortunate to have some pretty good steelers as friends. Of course, I bought several compilations, the Buddy Emmons C6 compilation, and Scotty's great E9 book and steel newsletter. What helped most was playing in a country band in Eugene, OR 4 or 5 nights a week from 1981-4. I once asked Jeff how to get good at it, and he told me to get a gig in a country band playing full time. He said "You'll be playing the same 30 songs every night, and, after a couple of weeks, you'll get tired of what you're doing and try something new - and usually say that you'll never play that lick again."
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 1:31 pm    

Bud Angelotti sums it up very well.

Joshua Tschetter

South Dakota
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 2:17 pm    

Waylon Said..."Can't read music good enough to hurt my playing" I'm in the same boat!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 2:32 pm    

And that may be one of the most absurd quotes ever.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 5:03 pm    

Reading music is great...I started on piano and trumpet in 3rd grade and church...Played trombone and guitar reading and by ear in high school and college, got a double major in music, played guitar and brass for a living for 40 years. Started on Pedal steel after that and relate to piano on it. All the bands required reading and ear playing. Just sayin'...Larry Very Happy

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 5:34 pm    

My point is that, if you can't read or understand theory at least to some extent, it's nothing to be particularly proud of.

I know there are quite a few very gifted players who seem to lack basic knowledge yet have an instinct that gets them through but, for the majority of us, such knowledge is an invaluable tool.

It opens musical doors for us that might have remained firmly shut had we not opened our minds. Give it a try.

Brian Waits

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 5:52 pm     Nothing to be proud of ?

While I don't read music or know any music theory, I do enjoy learning to play this awesome instrument. It is a wonderful journey and while I'm not looking to impress anyone but myself, I do feel that we all can be proud of our own accomplishments however small or insignificant they may seem to others.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 5:57 pm    

You're missing my point. Your accomplishments may very well be praiseworthy - I'm sure they are - but all I said was that citing an ignorance of theory as though it's a feather in one's cap is misguided and unfortunate.

I don't do anything to 'impress people' but I do play for my living. I'm obligated to be as well-qualified as possible.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 6:10 pm    

I took lessons for 4 months and I've played by ear 37 years.

Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 8:35 pm     Reading

The plain and simple truth of the matter is. The sight reader can play that melody as soon as you put it on his music stand. The ear player simply cannot do that.

You would be surprised how many very good working steel players will miss a lot of the true melody notes in something as simple as Cheating Heart on a break.

Sight reading is priceless. No I am not a sight reader just a hack.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 9:49 pm     My Ears Work Pretty Good.

I had 13 lessons on Lap Steel in the mid '50's, but never progressed past the fundamentals other than how to use the bar and picks. And I could play all of the songs using the charts showing the frets and strings to hit. But I wanted to play guitar and in 1959 a friend showed me E,A, and B7, so from there it was all learning by ear on an old Gretcsh Electromatic my cousin had given me a month before. After yrs. of plugging away in bar bands, jamming with friends, and picking up what I could, I took up Pedal Steel. Again, a friend/salesman (Tommy Bollinger) at McCord Music in Dallas, showed me the I-IV & V on a brand new MSA Semi-Classic 3&1 and everything else has been learned by ear. I can read the Nashville number charts, but I much prefer the feel and soul of playing by ear. A lot was learned doing recording sessions, jamming, gospel groups, and country bands. Ain't the best steel player you ever heard, but ain't the worst either. Wouldn't mind learning how to read music, but I'm to old, stupid, and I ain't got enough time. Nobody's gonna hire an ugly old man like me no matter how much music I can read. And That's a Fact.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 10:38 pm    

I taught myself to play by playing along with records, and I took one lesson, but the things in the lesson were a little hard for me to do, because of my cerebral palsy, so I went back to playing along with records. I'd turn on a great country record with great steel parts to see how they sounded, then I'd go to my steel to see how my version of those steel parts would sound, and that's how I learn new songs now. After that one lesson, I told myself that quitting is not an option, that I'm gonna learn new songs with these records, and I'm gonna have fun with it, and that's what I'm doing to this day. I listen to the guys playing on the records, and I always tell myself, "I want to sound like Brett Day". I learn from guys like Paul Franklin, Bruce Bouton, Teddy Carr, Steve Hinson, Sonny Garrish, Dan Dugmore, and John Hughey, but I know I won't sound like those guys-I just want a Brett Day sound. When I started playing, the internet was around, but there was no Facebook or YouTube. I started playing at a time when DVDs were getting ready to replace VHS VCR tapes. I'd watched instructional videos of Doug Jernigan and a steel player named Tim McCasland and both guys gave great tips for playing pedal steel.

Last edited by Brett Day on 8 Feb 2017 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 11:57 am    

This topic often gets people angry, for some reason, so if I was smarter I'd just leave it alone.. I'm not smart, I guess

Musicians who read music don't stop using their ears because they are looking at sheet music, generally. And yes, there are many examples of musicians who can't play without the music in front of them, but in my experience they are a minority.

I am largely self taught, with lessons taken from great players at critical points. I took private lessons in composition, some lessons with Jim Hall on jazz guitar, lessons with Maurice Anderson on steel guitar - each time I did my progress increased dramatically. I taught myself music theory and reading, and am incredibly grateful I did. Because of my knowledge in this area, I've been able to play music I could never have played without it, and have taught at a university in Oregon for 17 years, despite not having an official high school diploma. I'm glad I know how to read and understand music theory.

I also play by ear, every gig, in one way or another - bass player using substitute changes, etc, which I can hear and also understand.

I don't think you have to read music to play, by any means, but it sure has helped me.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 2:48 pm    

Ditto Roger and Christopher -- !!!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 5:15 pm    

My mom and dad had six boys before a girl came along. All of us boys play and never took lessons. To me it is a gift from God.