The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Neat thread gizmo "Thread Detective"
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 11:40 am    

Picked up this gizmo from Stewart McDonald that lets you determine Metric or SAE threads on nuts and bolts. Got frustrated taking bolts and nuts to the hardware store to match nuts and bolts only to find out that the HW store did not have the thread or size I wanted.

I can determine what the nut or bolt is and order what I need in small amounts or take my chances at HW store if I think they have what I want. I wish I had this gizmo years ago especially when an item like this can last a lifetime.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 11:49 am    

It's a damn sight cheaper to use thread gauges and a vernier, total cost about $15

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 1:33 pm    

Go to Ace Hardware. They have every nut or bolt you will ever need.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 1:51 pm    

That's a neat little set Len. It can be a real challenge sometimes trying to match up a lost or damaged screw, particularly for tiny screw sizes. They might be metric or sae, and several pitch variants. This takes the guesswork out of it.

A bit pricey for the average hobbyist, but cheap if you have to make a bunch of trips to the hardware store to find the right one.

All due respect Alan but no they don't, especially small ones with fine threads.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 2:24 pm    

I used this gizmo the other day and matched a Metric M3-0.5 bolt for guitar saddles.That is a very small thread and I needed it 40mm long. I found these metric bolts online (25 count) for $7.50 plus $4.00 for shipping. Considering the weather and a 15 mile drive to the city it was convenient to order them.

Thread gauges and a vernier are fine also. No disrespect, but my eyes are not what they use to be and I am constantly looking for tools. I attached this thread detective so it hangs from a shelf where I won't lose it.

Just passing along a tip that may be useful .....

Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 8:55 pm    

Ace Hardware has a nut/bolt finder. Essentially a board on the wall where you can screw in a bolt to various female threads to see which fits. plus various male threads where you can try nuts out.

All sounds rather rude on re-read.