The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone have problems with Loud drummers?
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 8:10 am    

If I ever played with a drummer, I'd limit him to brushes. Very Happy

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 8:11 am    

Bass drives the kick....race is on... either or can ruin stage volume.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 9:49 am    

Sometimes the drummer is too loud.

Sometimes the lead guitarist is too loud.

Sometimes the bassist is too loud.

Sometimes the singer demands monitors that are too loud.

Sometimes the keys are too loud.

Sometimes the steel guitar is too loud.

Sometimes the soundman makes the FOH too loud.

Nothing special about drummers, in this regard.

...Sometimes I'm too loud. I can practically guarantee that if you play in a band, SOMETIMES even YOU are too loud. ("YOU" in the general sense.)

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 4:01 pm     Re: Anyone have problems with Loud drummers?

Greg Lambert wrote:
I have played with quite a few bands in my lifetime and one of the most annoying thing I can think of is a drummer that that beats his drums as loud and hard as they can.

I have played at several Steel guitar conventions and these drummers dont do that , They play with the band not above them.

What???

Winking

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 1:47 pm    

Quote:
I have always said that it's hard to find a drummer that doesn't think he is a one man show. That's all I've got say about that.

Oh, one more thing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHpbGcLZcVk

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 9:40 am    

I played with a drummer who definately wasn't country. Finally in the third set he did a fantastic job on A Ray Price shuffle. When I complemented him and asked why he didn't play this way all the time,his response was, it is boring. Go figure.....

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 11:47 am    

I believe one major problem is that modern drums seem to be voiced to sound "best" when you give 'em a big whack... I KNOW one starting point for that was the clear plexiglas (lexan?) drums that came out in the early 70's, but now they're ALL like that*. And consequently, everything ELSE is now supposed to "cut through the mix" too.

GRRRR
Mad Mad Mad Mad
SO WHO'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE MIX WHEN EVERYONE'S CUTTING THROUGH THE MIX? GRRRRR Mad Mad Mad

I have numerous interwingled issues all destroying the "band-sized" joy of music:
one, as (often) a bass player on postage stamp stages, I was supposed to park RIGHT NEXT to the crash.
Two - driving home on two-lane highways at three am, yikes ever since I quit drinking it's become more and more terrifying! Did I really used to BE like that?
Three: East Coast start times for bands is 10 pm!
Four: I'm old and crabby.
Five: I can't even count anymore... I'll stick with the mellifluous singer/songer types, library parties etc. CRASH BASH MY ASH.... 40% hearing loss above 6k in my left ear, no tinnitus thank goodness. I'll settle there. Heavy-metal folksingers....

Robert Fripp has a good riff about the "tyranny of the trap kit" and if you ever look at drum notation, they only write down snare, hi-hat and bass drum. In other words, a "skilled" drummer is trained to break everything down to three essential sounds only, the rest is all... gravy? Whatever rhythm you MAY have had in mind - it's none of your business anymore?
~ let the PROFESHONULLS handle this, gramps ~

*(If you're in a band where the DRUMMER is lecturing YOU on "tone" to begin with... Rolling Eyes
BANG! BANG! BASH! "Do you hear that, man... do you HEAR that?"
Umm, well yes, actually I DID. Hear that. It sounded just like... a drum! Whoah, gadzooks etc.)

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 11:55 am    

I play in cover bands, which are definitely louder than the bands of the singer-songwriters I play with. The drummers who work with songwriters, at least in the circle I play, seem to know when to back off.

I used to work with a drummer who had the most beautiful sounding kit I've ever heard, but man, he was LOUD. He subbed occasionally in a band I worked with, but his main band was a Santana tribute band. He could play circles around a whole lotta drummers I knew, but he was a basher. AND he had this tiny maple snare drum, which sounded amazing, but it made ya wince whenever he hit it. Sounded best from the other end of the venue. Laughing

My guess, however, is that the lead guitarist in the Santana tribute MUST have been really, really loud. I would imagine that band blasted the audience big time.