The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  tone block?
Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 6:56 am    

what is the difference in a to e block 201 and a 202?

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 7:57 am    

Tone Block 201 - discontinued, 200 Watts; Front: no Reverb, Gain & Master Volume controls, 5-Voice control (Full Q, Tweed, Jazz, Surf, Lead), Tri-Q control (3-way tone control that goes from scooped-mid to flat to low-bass/enhanced-mid-high), input + effect send/return; Back: 4 & 8 Ohm speaker outs, isolated and balanced DI out. https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/product/tone-block-201

Tone Block 202, latest production, 200 Watts; Front: Reverb, Gain & Master Volume controls, separate Bass, Mid, Treble controls, input + effect send/return, Sig Out (switchable pre-Master TRS Line Out or Headphone Out), Voicing switch; Back: seems to be same as 201 with 4 & 8 Ohm speaker outs, isolated and balanced DI out. https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/product/tone-block-202-head

At $250 from MF for the 201 vs. $575 for the 202, I just grabbed a 201. I have plenty of good reverb pedals and I think the surf setting is gonna be close enough to a blackface/silverface Fender that it's gonna be fine as a 200 Watt throw-and-go guitar + pedal steel amp head for my purposes.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 8:12 am     ? tone block

dave, that was my question, i was thinking about using it with an rv3 or maybe put it in a rack with my profex 2 and use with a 1501 4 ohm in a single cabinet? or would it be possible to use another cabinet same specs to get a stereo sound?....thanks jack

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 8:36 am    

I found it much easier to dial in a good tone setting with the 202. The tone controls on the 201 were counter-intuitive for my ole brain. I really love the 202.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 10:25 am    

I agree that, in a perfect world, I would generally prefer separate Bass/Mid/Treble controls, as on a Twin Reverb. But I picked up the small-effect-pedal-sized Quilter Micro Block 45 with just gain, Tri-Q control, and Master volume a couple of weeks ago when MF was blowing them out for $99, and I'm finding it useful as a grab-and-go practice or quiet gig amp that fits on my little pedalboard after tuner, overdrive, reverb, and delay pedals. And I didn't see how I could go wrong with the TB 201 for $250. I think it's the same basic power amp as the 202.

Quote:
i was thinking about using it with an rv3 or maybe put it in a rack with my profex 2 and use with a 1501 4 ohm in a single cabinet? or would it be possible to use another cabinet same specs to get a stereo sound?

Well, I haven't gotten mine yet, they just put them up on STOTD today, probably won't last long at that price. So I can't say for sure how it will work. But that's the basic way I'm gonna use it, but with a Telonics 4 Ohm 12" neo speaker in a Little Walter cab. The cab with speaker is super-light and sounds good with everything else I've tried it with. I expect a BW 1501-4 would sound good too. I figure with the different amp settings (I'll probably favor Surf, which I understand is a Fender-style EQ), this will be easier to dial in than the Micro Block 45.

You could run two 8 Ohm cabinets, for a combined parallel load of 4 Ohms, to spread the sound out. But it will not be true "stereo", there is only one channel. I have a pair of TC Furlong's 12" 300-watt 8 Ohm speakers that I may try with a 2-12" Justice cab if I really like what I'm hearing and I want to push more air.