Author Topic:  Boss 100 watt Katana Amp
David Cook

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 5:58 pm    

Anyone try one of these for steel

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 5:19 am    

I'll probably pick the 100 watt head up sometime this week .....Even if it doesn't work for steel , it's a great sounding guitar amp , especially for the money ....Can't really beat it for the price .... The clean tone on this amp is GREAT , so is the overdriven tones...From what it sounds like for guitar , I'm hoping that it will flatter pedal steel also ...Jim

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 11:25 am    

James Quackenbush wrote:
I'm hoping that it will flatter pedal steel also ...Jim

So am I ! Please let us know ! Thanks !

Leo Melanson

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 8:20 am     Katana 100

Based on some reviews I saw on FB regarding the Katana 100, this ignited my GAS (Gear acquisition syndrome), and I picked one up at GC for $329 which is a great value. Here are my impressions:

When I first saw the amp in the store, I thought it must be the 50W version, because it was so small, but it was in fact the 100W model with 1 (12). Not much bigger than a brief case, almost looks like a toy practice amp. I played some guitar through it in the store at low volume, and was impressed by the (5) amp models: Brown, Lead, Crunch, Clean and Acoustic. The tones are very good and did not feel too digital or "buzzy". The Clean model has a ton of loud clean volume with plenty of headroom for Tele playing. The overdrive models are very pleasing and inspiring to play with. The amp also allows you to connect to a PC and download most of the Boss line of effects ... for a total of 15 on board. These can be stored in one of four pre-sets on the amp. They also have great tones (mostly rock and metal) available for download from the Roland Boss website via the software app.

Next I plugged in the steel, with no effects .. and using the Clean model, along with the amps digital delay and reverb came up with some pretty pleasing tone for steel. I boosted the Bass a bit on the EQ, but found a very pleasing setting that lots of headroom and seemed plenty loud enough for a small gig.

Finally I brought this to my gig that night to play guitar and steel with (I brought my Quilter as backup just in case but did not need it). I setup the amp for the Clean model, Eq and Mic for FOH and monitors and was good to go. The tone was outstanding and cut through the mix for guitar (used some pedals) and steel (used only vol pedal and reverb pedal) ... got lots of compliments for both. We use in-ear monitors, but I usually only put one in .. and like to listen to the amp. I could hear it loud and clear ... in a very large room and large stage with good FOH. The challenge might be for smaller rooms where you are sitting next to the drummer. I will see what that is like in my next gig. So far ... I am pleased with the amp as a light weight portable solution for guitar and steel.

Pros:
5 Great useable models with very pleasing tones.
.5, 50W and 100W power settings
Small, light, great grab and go amp for practice and small gigs
Should do a good job for guitar and or steel with minimal fussing between.

Cons:
Only 4 presets can be saved at a time
Pedal board for switching is an extra $100
High gain settings are feedback prone

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 9:58 am    

Bless you Leo for the review! Very inciteful!
I guess for that money, why not. I don't even want to go down that road, I use tube amps that blow me away with tone, I'm staying put for the time being😀
Thanks again

Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 12:57 pm    

I just bought my Katana head and played my 8 string lap steel with it.

The small 5" speaker is more than enough for bedroom playing / rehearsal.

When I engaged the "brown" sound, I was able to get a very smooth distortion sound with my lap steel ( West Coast guitar with George L pickup)

For the price you can't beat it.

I plan to use the head with my 15" Big Ben speaker.
I know my pedal steel and mandolin will sound great through the "acoustic "
channel.
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 2:28 am    

it is listed at $299 at ZZ Sounds

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSKTN100?siid=190078

I'm scratching my head, a $299 made in China amp is where we are headed ? Question Laughing

So much for those $150 speakers we all just bought !

I spoke with a friend who has one , he likes it but he has only had it for a week or two. I read several reviews from several retailers websites, and yeh, they appear good, but a few of them are not, especially in the clean mode. Some of the reviewers wrote a second review a month later with a lessor opinion. Many of the reviews are written by bedroom players in the .5 watt mode as well.

Someone actually wrote that it can fill a 2500 seat arena as well ! Really ? So, no need to bring a 100 watt Marshall Plexi Stack to those shows anymore ! Laughing

Just for fun..

Years back ( mid 90's) when I was playing BASS full time with a band, I was going thru Basses trying to find "euphoria" . I found this off-shore Fender Bass that looked pretty good and played pretty good in the store, I paid I think $300 . I took it to the gig, it looked much better than it sounded. My friend looked at me and said, "Euphoria costs more than $300". Sad

Several months later I ended up with a Fender 1962 RI stack Knob J-Bass from Manny's music in NYC, This was 1995. I still have it. Evidently Euphoria did indeed cost more than $300, make that $700 more !

I suspect as a small guitar amp this Boss amp with effects is a worthy consideration but I'm not ready to turn in the N112 or a small Fender tube amp just yet. I'll go last ! Smile

My biggest concern would be how robust is it, how long will it last.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 2:21 pm     china stuff

I think I'm done with china made stuff

they stopped making the cube amps which was a good amp

cant afford usa made guess ill just keep what I got

good luck to those who get the china stuff...

mike

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2017 3:03 pm     Katana 100 head

I play pedal steel. So far I've played some 3 or 4 gigs with this amp. Pretty nice overall and considering the price, quite good. I only use the clean setting on 100W output. I'm driving a EV 15 in a small open back cabinet. Lots of clean headroom. I don't play at a paint-peeling volume so there's no problem with output. I had to turn off my Boss EQ pedal the other night due to noise through the house system so I reset the tone settings and only had to boost the highs to about 1:00 and the bass all the way up. Normally, the EQ pedal tailors the sound.

A few caveats: Considering it's not a steel guitar amp you'll need to boost the bass and tweak the mids and highs to your taste--or use an EQ device. The specs insist on an 8 ohm minimum impedance. I'll have to trade out one of my 4-ohm neo speakers (which I love) for an 8. I had to use my older Electro-voice speaker which is fine but heavy.

As to the reliability of foreign made gear, I don't have any problem with it. I've played through a Roland Cube 80 for about 10 years, love that sound and have had no issues--none. I've played through lots of Peaveys including a 112 and find the Cube equal to or better than the 112. I was looking for a damaged Cube 80 I could convert to a head (to drive a 15" speaker), Roland solved that problem with this amp. Thumbs up.

Leo Melanson

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2017 4:07 pm     Guitar - YES ... Steel Guitar - Maybe

Agree .. the amp requires a little tweaking for steel ... but I have been happy with both instruments in various gigs and stages for about a month now. I have one preset for steel and one for guitar .. so really only need one footswitch to go back and forth.

I think this amp will appeal to the Roland Cube users ... not so much the Peavey diehards and boutique amp players, but for a low-cost, portable, flexible amp .. this thing is great.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 7:09 am     More on Katana

I may have understated my fondness for this amp's sound--it's great. And very portable, especially with a light weight speaker.

As to the complaint from boutique amp owners: I have to make money with this steel guitar habit. I love it but I need to show something of a profit--and generally do. I might love the sound of brand X hand-wired all-tube whatever. If I were a top session player or touring with a celebrity paying a handsome salary, maybe I'd splurge. From what I read on this forum, the wonderful sound isn't that much better than amps costing much less.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 9:20 pm    

Got my hands on an BOSS Katana 100watt amp with 12" speaker. Seeing if I can milk any good steel guitar tones out of it. Maybe it can be an alternative light weight giging amp. We'll see.

Here are several sound samples for the amp. I get better bass response by putting the amp on the floor and cocked back a bit vs. in a chair. Amp cabinets are designed to boost the bass when it has an open back and on the floor or close to a wall, much like a woofer on your surround sound for your TV. Four samples thus far. Amp with it's built in reverb, chorus and delay: Reverb
http://picosong.com/pLhr/
http://picosong.com/pLAw/
Chorus
http://picosong.com/pLAR/
Delay
http://picosong.com/pLAf/

Bought the amp over to Steel Guitars of Nashville ( which will be carrying these soon). Bob Hempker and I put it through our pickin tests on E9th and C6th. Amp is doing very well and getting a good even sound and plenty of punch. I'll be playing it out on some gigs and see how she does then.

Butch Mullen

North Carolina, USA 28681
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 8:29 am    

I'm thinking about ordering the Katana 100 watt amp. What are the settings some of you guys are using? Thanks, Butch in NC

Butch Mullen

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 10:26 am    

ttt

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 10:34 am    

For pedal steel I generally use a Boss GE7 and (on the amp) set Bass, Mids and Highs at 12:00. I adjust the EQ with more bass, less mids and more highs. Without the EQ I set Bass 3:00+; Mids 11:00; Highs: 1:00.

Butch Mullen

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 2:14 pm    

Thanks John, that will give me a good place to start. I like to play around with the delay and reverb more than most people. We will see how it goes. Thanks again.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 2:50 pm    

I always use delay and reverb. I have an older Boss analog delay and an RV-3 delay/reverb pedals that I alternate. The Katana has both built in and I've played without any pedals. Works fine. I'm using an EV-15 speaker but want to get the Eminence 15.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 7:52 pm     Katana 100 sings

Just got off the gig tonight at a senior center dance hall. I don't know if it was just the room--one I've played many times--but the Katana sounded outstanding. I used the FX pedals with the Boss RV-3. The tone was great. I switched to lead guitar for a few songs. I reset the EQ flat for guitar and the amp sounded fine all night. I can't speak to the durability but if it's like my Cube 60 and Cube 80 amps there's nothing to worry about. We play a larger venue tomorrow night so we'll see how she does.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 2:35 pm     Still Loving it

We played Buck's Backyard last night. It's a new large dance hall in Buda, Texas, near Austin. This was a good test for the new amp and it delivered nicely. Great tone, lots of head room. We were on a large stage with big house PA, all amps miked and great monitor sound. It just worked beautifully. It's nice when you can forget about your tone and just play at the top of your game. Set it once and forget it--just play.(It helps to have a great drummer and a well-rehearsed band) The dance floor was packed. Two thumbs up!

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 9:03 pm    

Tech Specs
Type Solid State
Number of Channels 2 footswitchable channels, 4 x channel tone settings
Total Power 100W/50W/0.5W
Speaker Size 1 x 12"
Effects 55 selectable BOSS effects (store up to 15 on board at a time)
Reverb Yes
EQ 3-band EQ
Amp Modeling 5 Amp voices
Inputs 1 x 1/4" (instrument), 1 x 1/8" (aux in)
Outputs 1 x 1/4" (headphones/rec out), 1 x 1/4" (line out)
MIDI I/O In
USB 1 x Type B
Footswitch I/O 2 x 1/4" (GA-FC, channel select/expression)
Effects Loop Yes
Computer Connectivity Access BOSS Tone Setting editor software and Boss Tone Central (USB)
Height 17.5"
Width 20.8"
Depth 9.8"
Weight 32 lbs. 11 oz.
Manufacturer Part Number KTN-100
Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 7:32 am    

I've been experimenting with the BOSS Katana amp the last several weeks just like I did with the Fender Mustang 111. The idea is to find an alternative amp to my Peavey that is reasonable in price, $329.00, smaller and lighter, but still put out for me and sound good.
So far it exceeds the Fender. Plenty of volume as I played it on a gig and has good bottom, especially if you place it on the floor about 3 feet or so from a wall. Very good built in effects.
Here is a quick sample on C6th neck of an old standard we all know. Lots of good reviews thus far from others.

http://picosong.com/iftA/

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 8:03 pm     What about 2-12 version

Just went to the Boss site.i see they make a 2-12 model. I am in the market right now for a new amp anybody have any thoughts on that version?

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 7:36 am    

Bryan,
What amp are you using now and what kind of gigs are you playing (small or large venues)?

Ron Hogan

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 5:31 pm     A heavy one

I have a early 70s Twin with the 2 orange frame d 120 f. Made by Jbl. I'm not getting rid of the twin but I'm generally doing double duty on my gigs.
I'm really tired of switching my settings when I go back and forth between electric guitar and steel, I'm usually singing lead when I'm not behind the steel and I usually have an acoustic plugged into a di also. I need some simplification!
I tried other guitar amps trying to leave the steel and The Twin alone but I just can't leave my twin, so I'm going to try to find a new steel amp. I'd describe all of my bands stage volume as low to medium, everything is always miked though, mid sized rooms 60 - 200 people. Based on Mr Russels reviews I'm pretty tempted,might shoot on down to guitar center tomorrow and check it out, they don't seem to mind when I bring my bud in, most of the kids working there barely know what they are! I am in Buffalo so steels are pretty rare around here.

Kerry Johnson

the Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 8:34 pm     Boss Katana amp

RE:
[quote="Ron Hogan"]
Here are several sound samples for the amp.
http://picosong.com/pLhr/
http://picosong.com/pLAw/
Chorus
http://picosong.com/pLAR/
Delay
http://picosong.com/pLAf/

Hey Ron,
Thanks for posting the GREAT audio samples of your playing thru this new amp.
Great licks Ron, great tone !
Would you consider sharing the tone settings you used here ?

kj