The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Questions on Carvin BX500
Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2016 2:28 pm    

I'm considering pulling the trigger on one at a local pawn shop.

1. Does this amp do low volume with a 4ohm speaker? Never played a 500watt amp, but assume it will scream even at 1 on the volume. How much does the "active" switch lower the output?

2. Do you run a passive VP through the effects loop?

Thanks

Rick

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2016 3:40 pm    

I have one and don't use a lot of power. I run the Drive about 3 and the Master 4, but I also have a POD X3 between the volume pedal and the amp and I usually have it at 1/2 volume so its really a relatively low output.

The manual doesn't say how much it changes. From the manual (keep in mind they are referring to a bass since its a "bass" amp).
Quote:
Flip the ACTIVE switch to the DOWN position for standard bass pickups. If your bass uses a battery with an onboard active preamp, put the switch in the UP position. A blue LED indicates the ACTIVE switch is on.

I have a Hilton VP and run that between my steel and the POD X3 (then to the input).

The biggest plus for the amp is the 12AX7 tube preamp (can be switched in or out). It is a "high plate voltage" preamp, not the typical "starved plate" low plate voltage amps in many devices.

I would fully check out the amp before buying it, at a pawn shop. Could be perfect, or could have a problem. If the 12AX7 tube is bad, that's not a deal breaker. The original 12AX7 tube in mine went bad after about 9 months (it started having some slight distortion). There is a (push) switch on the rear panel to bypass or use the 12AX7 so you can check it fairly fast. (I'm an ex amp tech so I probably look at some of it different).

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2016 11:32 pm    

Jack,

Thanks for your input. At the volume settings you indicated, how loud would you say the amp is? Loud enough to play with a full band? Practice volume is a small room? Etc.

I would definitely check the amp out... just trying to see if it would be just too loud for my purposes before making the effort.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 3:35 am    

At the volume setting I have the amp can be loud, to me. I play in a traditional country band and mostly to "Florida Retirees" (like myself).

I don't think how loud it is has any real bearing. Set the amp for how loud you want it. It has plenty of reserve power but can it work at low volume level, in this amp's case, is really not an issue.

I used to have a stereo system that included a MosValve 500 power amp. I only used it out one time and the rest of the time I had it, I only used it at home on low volume. Worked and sounded just the same, at low "home" volume and at stage volume.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 3:10 am    

Is there truth to the rumors that Carvin amps are nearly impossible to fix, and that factory support is non-existent?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 3:23 am    

I've never heard or seen that.

Carvin makes schematics available free on line (I have the one for my BX500) and any "qualified" amp tech should be able to repair one with the schematic.

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 5:02 am    

Rick, I just bought a BX500 and I'm still getting used to it. If this amp is not loud enough for you I wouldn't know what to say.

Playing it through a 4 ohm speaker at 500w it's knocking me down set at "2" on the master volume. That's with a multi effects unit in the effects loop. I tried setting the Active Switch and it didn't help that much.

I put the multi effects pedal in front of the amp and turned the output on the pedal way down to attenuate the signal going in.

I can set the volume on about 3-4 now and stay in the same room. I'm getting the best tone I've ever had in my opinion. When I add a little bit of drive it gets real good. It's almost as touch sensitive as a tube amp. Pick it lightly and it's clean dig in a bit and you get just a bit of hair depending on where the drive is set.

I play a 12 string Universal. I've always been disappointed in the tone I was getting on the lower bass strings. Not now, clean and clear not muddy at all.

Did I mention I've really come to love this amp and speaker combo?

I've ordered a 3 space rack bag to put mine in. I never used a rack bag before but I think I'm going to like this one. It's a removable hard rack inside a rack bag.

I'll let everyone know how it works when it gets here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfooKcUZfXk

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 5:48 am    

I don't like rack "bags". They can tend to keep heat in and thus "cook" equipment. I have my BX500 in a 2 space Carvin rack that has the rear open (where the fan is in the BX500). I set it on top of my speaker.

Any rack case, unless there is cutouts for air circulation can be a problem. It may not affect the equipment "now" but at some point down the line there can be problems and it can be related to poor air circulation.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 5:48 am    

I don't like rack "bags". They sort of act like a blanket and tend to keep heat in and thus "cook" equipment. I have my BX500 in a 2 space Carvin rack that has the rear open (where the fan is in the BX500). I set it on top of my speaker.

Any rack case, unless there is cutouts for air circulation can be a problem. It may not affect the equipment "now" but at some point down the line there can be problems and it can be related to poor air circulation.

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 5:10 pm    

Sounds like I better stick with my gk mb200. I play mostly lower volume. I really like the idea of having a separate gain and master volume to dial in tone. I also like the tube feature. Too bad they don't have the tube in a 200 watt version.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 3:33 am    

Don't let the power steer you away. I played through an MB200 before getting the BX500. I play at the same volume with both, but a much better sound with the BX500, because of the tube and the added EQ circuitry that the MB200 doesn't have. The MB200 is a nice "basic" amp but there are much better alternatives.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 5:41 am    

I'm with Jack. I've gigged with the GK MB200 and MB500 and also the Carvin BX500. I liked the MB200 OK but like the Carvin the best. I found the GK MB500 harder to dial in a tone I liked. I currently use the Carvin head in my solid state rig. Sounds good at all volume levels.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 11:59 am    

Well, if you Google "Carvin BX500 problems", you'll find that there are a LOT of issues with this amp. Most are with the early units, and related to power problems; but some seem to be related to ribbon connectors in the amp. The Carvin web site says:
"Do not return electronics that are older than 5 years, except if you are exchanging the chassis in our EXCHANGE PROGRAM:
BX500 REPAIR $225 EXCHANGE $325"
This says that if the amp is between 1 and 5 years old (out of the 1-year warranty) that it's $225 to fix it; if it's older than 5 years, they'll sell you a new one for $325--(they're $340 on Amazon). Talk about disposable electronics!!!

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 6:36 pm    

Steven Paris wrote:
Well, if you Google "Carvin BX500 problems", you'll find that there are a LOT of issues with this amp...

Well, I googled that exact phrase and it doesn't look too horrifying: https://www.google.com/search?q=Carvin+BX500+problems&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8. As many positive links and comments as not, while searching for "problems".

FWIW, I've owned a number of Carvin amps through the years, including the BX500, and never had any issues with any of them. Regarding the purported reliability issues with the BX500, I inquired with them directly about this last year and got this response from their service manager:
Quote:
Ian,

There were a few BX500 units from our first production run back in 2010 that did have a few faulty components (ie; bad transistors, and a few bad output section components) which were not initially detected when the completed units were tested at the factory prior to being shipped out, but the issue was discovered after customers let us know that they were experiencing problems with their brand new units after the first initial use. There were less than 25 units that were affected by this issue and the problem was addressed and corrected right away and we have not had any similar instances or a repeat of that particular issue since then. All of those problematic units were returned and subsequently destroyed so there is little chance that anyone still has a faulty unit in their possession. Despite that initial setback we have had great success with the BX line and there are many happy and satisfied bass players out there (including myself) that are using their BX amps on a regular basis with no problems or issues. However should you ever encounter a problem or experience an issue with your BX unit please feel free to contact me directly and I would be glad to assist you personally, thanks!

Joe Stone
Service Manager
Carvin Audio & Amplifiers

People tend not to complain about stuff on the internet when it works correctly, which I would wager is the case with the vast majority of BX500s sold. Mine has been rock solid thus far.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 1:44 am    

Thanks for sharing your communication with Carvin. I guess the problems were mostly concerned with the early units and the problem has been fixed. I still find it disappointing that a 5-year-old amplifier that malfunctions is considered by the manufacturer to be unrepairable junk. A $15 discount on a new amp is hardly worth the expense & hassle of mailing it back! I will say that the Carvin BX-500 appears to pack a lot of bang for the buck.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 3:12 am    

Rick, if you don;t need as much power as the BX500 offers, you might try the BX250. I have been using one for about a year and love it. It's not a Fender Twin or Peavey LTD, but it's not trying to be.

No need for a rack, I hang mine right off my pack-a-seat so I can adjust things without getting up.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 3:43 am    

The "Plus" of the 500 over the 250 is the addition of the tube preamp. A major improvement. That was the main plus of the BX500 over the MB200 I had been using.

I had the 12AX7 tube in my unit go bad (started to get some slight distortion) after about a year. As a former amp tech that has replaced many tubes in amps I don't consider that a reliability or even an issue. Tubes can go anytime. Mine now has a NOS RCA 12AX7 tube in it and its been over a year.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 9:33 am    

I looked at the schematic for the Carvin BX500. It ain't exactly a tube preamp---it has ONE 12AX7 tube buried among a plethora of FET transistors and modest-performing 4565 opamps. It also has IFRB4227D Mosfet output transistors, which appear to be proprietary to Carvin, and unobtainable elsewhere. They are NOT listed on the Carvin website parts list.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 10:45 am    

The IFRB4227D MOSFET does not appear to be anything special and was/is a general purpose part.

International Rectifier Power MOSFET, 200v, 44 Amp, RDSon 0.055 ohms, T-220 package. Datasheet is on the web.

One should be able to sub a part fairly easy if an original can't be found.

Robert

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 11:48 am    

Robert Parent wrote:
The IFRB4227D MOSFET does not appear to be anything special and was/is a general purpose part.
International Rectifier Power MOSFET, 200v, 44 Amp, RDSon 0.055 ohms, T-220 package. Datasheet is on the web.
One should be able to sub a part fairly easy if an original can't be found. Robert

Hmmmm.....I believe you, but I couldn't find it. Do you have a link to its datasheet and where it can be purchased?

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 12:48 pm    

Here is one link of many:

http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/irfb4227pbf.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a401535615eb531e1f

I would check the typical sources: Mouser, Digikey, etc.

Robert

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 3:29 am    

Thanks for the link!
....AHA!! I see it now, if I separate the "IR" from the "FB4227D" in the search. None at Mouser or DigiKey, but a bunch on eBay.....Hmmmm.....

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 4:20 am    

Steve,

Could be a discontinued part... Mfgs always claim to have newer, better, faster parts. It looks pretty general purpose so I would guess that there are many parts that would work just fine. Places like Jameco may have new old stock.

I believe that IR was sold a couple years back so that could cause confusion in numbers as well. Also many parts have different numbers if lead free construction.

Good Luck,
Robert

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 4:15 pm    

Rick, I have the Carvin BX750 which is pretty much the same amp as the BX500, and I use it a lot for practicing at home with a low volume, and it works really well for that. I have my volume at 1, but I often practice very quietly. This amp has a lot of tone controls, and you really need to spend some time to find what works for you (at least I did). I was ready to give up, then I sort of just happened upon a sound that I really really like (I think the mid controls have a lot to do with it).

Unlike other micro amp heads I have played through, this one gives me a warm sound on the top (which I like) and plenty of string separation for the lower notes. It's a good amp, and it's way more affordable than other amp heads with the same wattage. I used this amp to record on Mary Halvorson's Away With You album. It's also good for live gigs because, for pedal steel guitar, it has plenty of headroom.

Another thing, I think the preamp tube has a minimal effect in a lot of solid state amps. What's important is listening first (which, unfortunately, is hard to these days unless you buy one).

Whatever amp you end up choosing, best of luck!

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 10:09 am    

Thanks Susan,

Your a input on the low volume practicing is very helpful. So you think the tube on this unit has a minimal effect? Is it perceptible at all?

Last edited by Rick Contino on 24 Jan 2017 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total