The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons: "Wichita Lineman" - Part 3
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2016 5:42 pm    

Tommy White also has a “Killer” version of “Lineman” on his “By Request” CD.

Click HERE for the audio.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2016 9:16 am    

That's really interesting, Frank. I did a transcription of it last year (for my own amusement to try to figure out how it was done) and this is what I came up with. Some of it is identical, which is comforting! Some of it isn't, but then there are so many ways of playing the same thing.

Because I'm not comfortable yet with slipping in open strings, in your 5th measure (my 10th) I cheat and use the split G on the 6th string which I guess Buddy didn't have. But I'll practise it your way Smile

Here is my tab which I humbly offer for comparison and a link to a PDF version as well
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bwddjmk20mymsp/Wichita%20tab%20to%20post.pdf?dl=0

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2016 9:25 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
Because I'm not comfortable yet with slipping in open strings, in your 5th measure (my 10th) I cheat and use the split G on the 6th string which I guess Buddy didn't have.

Thanks, Ian - nice job on your tab. But I'd bet Buddy did it your way, using the split. I know my approach is somewhat awkward - I had to find an alternative because I don't have that change. Sad

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2016 10:25 am    

It's early morning here and I have the BUMMED OUT 2016 ELECTION BLUES.. What better way try to lose them than by playing this song as you guys tabbed it Frank and Ian. Thanks so much. Stevet Whoa! parts 1, 2 & 3 are all terrific.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2016 11:02 am    

Frank Freniere wrote:
I'd bet Buddy did it your way, using the split - I had to find an alternative because I don't have that change.

Would Buddy would have had that change? I'm still pretty new to all this, but I'm assuming he was playing a push-pull and I'd like to know whether you can do splits on those.

But regardless of the means it's a great piece of music. I never much cared for it as a song, but as an instrumental it takes on new life.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2016 1:33 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
Frank Freniere wrote:
I'd bet Buddy did it your way, using the split - I had to find an alternative because I don't have that change.

Would Buddy would have had that change? I'm still pretty new to all this, but I'm assuming he was playing a push-pull and I'd like to know whether you can do splits on those.

Apparently it can be done... http://buddyemmons.com/64ish.htm

http://steelguitarforum.com/Archives/Archive-000003/HTML/20011227-1-009329.html

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2016 1:39 pm    

Thanks Frank - I aim to learn something every day. I guess anything is possible with enough ingenuity, but easy to see why the all-pull won in the end Smile