The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LLoyd Green and Telonics
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 4:46 pm    

I discovered the Telonics amplifiers after seeing Tommy Detamore playing one earlier this year in Texas. After visiting with Dave Beaty at the Dallas show, I decided to give a 12” mini combo a try and immediately fell in love with it. I decided to ask Lloyd Green if he would like to try it out on some sessions we were doing and he obviously did too, and this is what he had to say about it (and he now owns one)...

“In my remaining, and obviously limited time to play the steel, I have been happily and serendipitously exposed to a new amplifier by John Macy on some recording sessions, The Telonics Mini Combo with a 12” speaker.
While I wasn’t looking for a new amp, after John suggested I try his on some sessions we were recording I decided the time was perfect for a change; lightweight, evenness of string balance, good sound and perfect recording amp, whether miked or direct. I have never liked a direct sound on steel due to its typical artificiality and sterility, but this one has solved that mountainous obstacle. Direct recording sounds…miked!
Dave Beaty and crew have built an ingenious and intelligently designed amp that I believe will be the current and last one I will ever need. Dave built me one, just like John Macy’s, that I’m satisfied with.
Thanks to both of these gentlemen for exposing me to a truly space age amp and allowing me the space to make up my mind, without pressure, until I was certain this lightweight creature was really what I intended to play through and record with”.

Lloyd Green

I totally agree and you should check this amp out, you’ll love it!! So happy to have brought Lloyd into the Telonics family!

Last edited by John Macy on 13 Nov 2016 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2016 7:23 am     Lloyd Telonics

And I had the pleasure of handing Lloyd the amp up over the piano at Cinderella Studios ...that convinced him of how light it was ... JF

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2016 6:50 am    

Good move by Lloyd. The Telonics combos are the best all round amps on the market these days IMHO. They are quiet in the studio, and have a huge dynamic range. Plus you can carry them by your little finger. Very Happy
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2016 8:14 am    

Those are very good sounding amps. I'll be pleased to hear the results of the new partnership.

Lloyd......I would be happy to buy that old Fender amp...

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2016 5:40 pm    

And it has a kick stand!

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2016 10:46 am    

I have been playing a mini 12 for nearly two years now and b it's hands down the best amp I've ever had. I'm going to give the 212 a try as well. I always have liked the sound of 212s. My signal chain is all Telonics. Pickup, volume pedal and amp. Dave and everyone at Telonics are great folks and are sincerely about steel players and steel guitar sound.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2016 2:47 pm    

Johnny Cox wrote:
I have been playing a mini 12 for nearly two years now and b it's hands down the best amp I've ever had. I'm going to give the 212 a try as well. I always have liked the sound of 212s. My signal chain is all Telonics. Pickup, volume pedal and amp. Dave and everyone at Telonics are great folks and are sincerely about steel players and steel guitar sound.

I echo Mr. Cox's post, other to say that I have a TCA-500 stashed behind my steel at every gig. Same chain: pickup, pedal, amp.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2016 3:00 pm    

I've been playing a Telonics Bass Head for around 7 years now and have loved every minute of it.
Awesome range with every thing you need.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Doug Childress

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 2:34 pm    

I always gig with my Telonics mini with a 12" speaker. Love it and thanks to Dave Beaty and crew for supporting the steel guitar community!!