The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. World out of balance
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  World out of balance
Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 3:25 am    

Just doesn't feel right.

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 6:29 am    

You're right Steve. It has been strange all year for us. Not working on getting ready for the next show, talking with all the players and vendors and having regular meetings to make sure we don't forget anything. Actually the best part was arguing with Dad about making some changes to bring the show into the 21st century. I suppose he was right to resist modern changes. After all, it was his brainchild. It just wouldn't be the same without him.

We have been doing this for 44 years and now suddenly it's over. He has been gone for almost a year now but the memories he left for us, as well as the entire world, will never be forgotten. We hope that all of the other shows around the world will grow and grow and to always remember that without Scotty there wouldn't be a single one.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 8:35 am    

My thoughts too. Labor Day weekend, always in St Louis. I lived across the state in Kansas City.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 10:33 am    

Scotty was a special person.

doug jernigan

smyrna tn, usa
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 7:27 pm     International sgc in St Louis

I am out of sync today. It doesn't feel right to not be in St Louis by now. RIP Scotty. You were a dear friend and contributed much to the Steel Guitar World. Thinking of the memories of 40 plus years today.

Ted Barnhouse II

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 2:51 am     I miss it too.

It is indeed strange to not be getting ready for the convention. I will certainly miss it. I remember the first one. I didn't even stay. I walked in and right away I saw all the vendors. I walked around quickly to see all the goodies. I didn't even have a steel guitar yet so I left as quick as I could or I knew I was going to buy something I couldn't afford. A couple of years later Scotty and Don gave me a good deal on a Derby SD. I still have it but have experimented with pickups over the years. I used to come by after the convention mostly to cheer up Scotty because I knew how critical steelers can be I wanted him to know that we're not all complaining about money or this or that. I said once that I wouldn't blame him if he quit right then. He said oh no I get excited just hearing me talk about it. I've brought my wife, son's, my friends son up the street, my mom and aunt Jane when Norm was inducted into the Hall Of Fame. I even brought my Deacon 1 year. My youngest son ask to go the last year you had it not knowing it would be the last at least for awhile. I have great memories and very grateful to all of you and Scotty for them. We all grow old and then we die. But if we have children we really live on. Scotty has many children and grandchildren across the nation and the world. Steel shows will continue because of the you all and Scotty have done. You have earned a rest. Thank you very much for all of it.

Joel Martin

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2016 2:58 pm    

Not too many people get to leave with such a legacy. Look at how many people Scotty effected. It's so cool and beautiful.
Miss seeing everybody this weekend!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2016 5:10 am    

Definitely feels strange not to be heading to St. Louis this weekend. If you were a steel guitarist, Scotty's International Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis was the place to be for the most outstanding playing, camaraderie, exhibits, new products, etc. It was a huge part of my life, as was Scotty himself, who was my first steel teacher, when I attended college in St. Louis. And it was a great honor to be invited to play on the main stage at the Convention on several occasions. I am filled with thanks and appreciation to Scotty, Mary, and their kids and extended family who worked very hard all year, every year, to create an outstanding convention for lovers and players of steel guitar. You all done good. Very, very good. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart and farewell, dear Scotty.

p.s. I also want to acknowledge the many fine people that I would ONLY see at annual ISGCs. The chances are strong that I may never see them again in person (though some I will stay connected to through Facebook and other social media). Regardless, I thank them all for being fellow-travelers along the steel guitar path and being a part of my life. Travel onward and best wishes to you. Peace out.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2016 6:08 pm    

I too am out of sync this weekend. Scotty started something great and I just hope that there will be another I.S.G.C. in St.Louis in the future. Many thanks to the Scott family for all the great times.

Greg Vice

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2016 8:25 pm    

felt lost all weekend, missing trip to St. Louis meeting friends and seeing people only see once a yr. Scott family you can be proud of what Scotty did, I hope someday you can restart but I would understand if you didn't God Bless