The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mike Neer's Steelonious
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 12:03 pm    

Many of us here on the forum have been waiting with great anticipation for the release of Mike' new record, Steelonious. Supporters of Mike's kickstarter project were able to download the final tracks today a bit in advance of the release.

I'm here to tell you, this is terrific record! We've seldom heard a steel guitar in this exact context. Though devoted to the jazz compositions of Thelonious Monk, Mike's arranging and playing nods to multiple genres- Tiki, Surf, Swing, Bop, and even to specific tunes, like Sleepwalk and Pipeline, but then suddenly veers left into something unique and original. The band's tropical take on Round Midnight is languid and lovely and throbs with all the best qualities of 1950s lounge arrangements from musicians like George Shearing and Martin Denny (with none of the kitsch).

The Clinesmith tone is truly the "Creme Brulle'" of the steel guitar world; smooth and tasty! The supporting musicians are excellent and the mix is very warm and full.

Mike, you should be exceptionally proud of yourself. You had a strong concept, a vision for how to achieve it, and you pulled it off superbly well.

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 1:11 pm    

Well said, Andy. And Mike - this is a monster record! Monk's music, like a lot of jazz, has always been a bit outside my comfort zone, but you've brought something way more than just steel guitar to these tunes. I burned my download to CD, went for a 90 minute drive and now I'm hooked. Beautiful!!!

Tony Lombardo

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 1:13 pm    

I just listened to it all the way through twice. It's so good! It's not one of those records that only other steel guitarists would like. This is high art that any music lover would love. It's got a variety of music styles, but somehow it all works very well together. I think Monk would be quite pleased.

Tony L.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 2:21 pm    

It's absolutely outstanding! Even my wife is enjoying it, and she has probably an overdose of steel guitar going on at the house. The Clinesmith tone in all its incarnations is really great too. Best CD I've heard in a long long time and I think destined to become a classic. Great job Mike! Sphere Neer?

Dave

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 8:38 pm    

A beautiful piece of work and full of surprises. I especially liked the Beck flavoured 'Ugly Beauty' solo.

I sincerely hope this album 'breaks out' or 'breaks through'. It has so much going for it; authenticity, originality, and a great sound!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 3:51 am    

First listen right now.
Outstanding.
My very first takeaway is that it is not an exhibition. It is music.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 6:58 am    

A great example of taking something classic and making it one's own.

Great stuff Mike...so glad to be a part of your "project".

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 7:49 am    

Thank you!

I would consider this one of the high points of my career, and I've been doing this for a long time!

The fact that I was able to pay tribute to Monk and maybe help his music reach a wider audience, and to do it with the most unlikely of instruments in my own way, is very gratifying.

We recorded over the course of two days--all tracks being recorded live, with only the boss (me) having the ability to sweeten and fix his parts. I know that I have to live with this recording forever, so I wanted to not have any regrets. And when you are guiding a session and listening to every detail, it is difficult to nail things.

The musicians are people that I've been playing with for a number of years, though none had ever played together before. I have a huge pool of players to choose from and I went with the players who would help me realize things the way I was hearing them. The pianist and I have been playing together for 25 years or so, in many musical settings, including New Orleans music. The bassist was one of the founding members of The Moonlighters.

Here is a little video of Matt playing Caravan with Russell Malone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rN4-p8FSAg

BTW, I used one guitar and one tuning (except for a very minor tweak here and there). And as far as pedals, I used a Fuzzface and a Leslie Simulator built into a Digitech pedal. Most of the time, you're hearing Fender amps cranked a little. No volume pedal used!

I hope that you will feel inclined to play the music for others, especially non-musicians! Spread the word! Smile My goal is to get out and play this music all over the place.

Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 8:44 am    

DITTO from Drippin'!! Mike it is an awesome album, with a stunning variety of tones from your Clinesmith (and YOUR most talented hands). Are you going to divulge your "Monk tuning'? ( Perhaps you already have and I just missed it.)

In any event, I hope the record reaches a huge audience...it is just fine, fine music played by talented players. SO refreshing. Thanks for the all the time and effort to get it out.

Dave Rodgers

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 10:19 am    

Just had a quick listen to the first two tracks which is all time allows right now. Great stuff Mike. It will be on the cd player next week when i'm driving. Looking forward to hearing the rest of it.

Jan Jonsson

Gothenburg, Sweden
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 11:19 am     Bravo!

I downloaded the songs while at work today, and had ambitions to listen to them while grading exam scripts. Not surprisingly, I was not able to much useful work since Mike's music was completely captivating.

The quality of the recordings is superb! Not only is the performance of the musicians great and the song arrangements fresh and creative. The sound mix and atmosphere is also very pleasing. And of course there's the sweet Clinesmith tone all over the place, brought forth by Mike's magic fingers.

All thumbs up, Mike!

-- Jan

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 1:36 pm    

I agree with all the above, and the bass and keyboard players are the nazz. Forget genre, this is a thing, with surf and samba in the same dish.
Mike Neer wrote:
I used one guitar and one tuning (except for a very minor tweak here and there)

I think this was a brave choice and probably helped the cohesiveness of sound over two days. Great sound, got that 40's radio far away feel.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 2:16 pm    

Mike, will it be available as a digital download?
And what was the tuning you used?

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 6:01 pm    

Brooks, should be a few weeks. The "official" release date is slated for September 20.

C13 is my tuning, Jules Ah See C13.

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 6:16 pm    

Mike - this is a great album! From the well thought out arrangements to the outstanding musicianship of the entire band, not to mention (ok I just did) the great sound of the recording and mastering this is a quality product. Amazing job!

Orville Johnson

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 8:50 pm    

Just got a chance to sit and listen to the whole thing. Fantastic, Mike! Beautifully conceived, arranged, and executed. thanks.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 4:14 am    

Thanks! I hope you listen again and again.

I played a few tracks for my 80 year-old father-in-law, and when 'Round Midnight came on he stood up and started dancing the rumba with an imaginary partner with eyes closed. I took that as an approval!

That's what it's all about for me.

Nate Hofer

Overland Park, Kansas
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 4:49 am    

Wow. So good, Mike. Very inspiring as always.

Andrea Tazzini

Massa, Italy
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 5:59 am    

Great work, well arranged and played with taste and supreme elegance!
bravo Mike!

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 9:49 am    

This is so fascinating for me. I've always been into Monk's music, but never tried to play it myself until Orville Johnson taught us to play Blue Monk at Resosummit.

Mike has taken Monk to a new place in jazz, if that's possible. I enjoy everything about this release. Even the faux-Bob Wills swing of "I Mean You" makes sense. It's amazing to me that this was recorded with one guitar and minimal treatments, since there's such a variety of sounds in it.

I look forward to seeing what jazz critics say about this release, but this is something every steel guitarist should hear.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2016 7:32 am    

Brad Bechtel wrote:

Mike has taken Monk to a new place in jazz, if that's possible. I enjoy everything about this release. Even the faux-Bob Wills swing of "I Mean You" makes sense. It's amazing to me that this was recorded with one guitar and minimal treatments, since there's such a variety of sounds in it.

I look forward to seeing what jazz critics say about this release, but this is something every steel guitarist should hear.

The critics will ask, "Is this jazz?" I don't know, is it?

I don't have the luxury of being able to afford radio and press representation at this point, but I have been doing what I can on my own and have secured a review in a popular magazine and a radio feature. Every little bit counts.

Though I've been very familiar with Monk's music for many years, the music itself told me what to do with it. If I had to think about an arrangement too much, it probably wasn't going to work anyway. I'm hoping the music appeals to a wide cross section, but I didn't tailor it to anyone else. It grooves and it's just good music.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2016 8:40 am    

I'm confused....Mike said the release date isn't until 9/20, yet, several folks here and on FB have commented on how they've listened to the whole album, etc. Maybe just Mike's friends, etc., that got early access to it? I'd probably buy a copy in one format or another if I knew how to/where/when....just saying...

Wink

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2016 9:02 am    

Andy Henriksen wrote:
Maybe just Mike's friends....

His backers. A privileged group. (Privileged to have gotten in on the Kickstarter funding.)

Mike Neer wrote:
"Is this jazz?"

Yes Exclamation

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2016 9:08 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
Andy Henriksen wrote:
Maybe just Mike's friends....

His backers. A privileged group. (Privileged to have gotten in on the Kickstarter funding.)

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks! I'll wait for a few weeks, then. Smile

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2016 11:48 am    

Fantastic job Mike. And I don't even like steel guitar! Laughing Laughing Laughing