The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Peter Sarstedt
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 6:41 pm    

Not a steel player by any means, but a major part of my life. Peter had a massive UK hit called 'Where Do You Go To, My Lovely?' in 1969. He was the brother of singer Eden Kane with whom I had worked since 1961 so I found myself accompanying Peter on tours and TV shows playing acoustic guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1FViOHQ4oY&app=desktop

Here's 'Mulberry Dawn' - a pretty song Peter wrote about the night that he, myself and John Lennon went night-clubbing in 1964. The montage shows me with my Gibson Super 400 (one still shows Eden Kane playing it while I sing back-up) but the Jag in the photo wasn't mine - it was Eden Kane's Mark 10. The 'John Lennon' Jag was my 1956 Mark 7.

Rest in peace, Peter - I never knew a more gentle or erudite soul. You will be much missed.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 4:21 am    

Nice tribute Roger.

Ironically, Peter's 'Frozen Orange Juice' was the first UK recording I heard that featured a British pedal steel guitarist. My old mate Pete Willsher was playing a chronically bad Rotosound pedal steel on the track, designed and manufactured by Gordon Huntley and Nigel Dennis.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 5:18 am    

That's a beautiful tribute Roger...so sorry for your loss..may you take comfort in the fond memories..

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 5:27 am    

Yes, Ken. I was on those early records too, but playing guitar. My 12-string is buried in the mix of 'Where Do You Go To, My Lovely?'

Pete W was featured in Peter's 'Take Off Your Clothes' - steel all over that track.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 5:54 pm    

Sorry to hear about your friend. I listened to "Mulberry Dawn". What a beautiful song. I will check out some of his other recordings.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 12:46 am    

"Where Do You Go To My Lovely" was almost an anthem for the 1960s, and it was a big hit. It's definitely the music of my youth. "Frozen Orange Juice" was not so big, but it still made the charts and got significant airplay. One track of his which has some interesting pedal-steel is "Hollywood Sign", well worth a listen.

Peter's health had been poor for several years and he died from progressive supranuclear palsy in a nursing home, aged just 75.

Thanks, Roger, for some great memories and a fine tribute to a friend.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 6:59 am    

Thanks, Nedd.

PSP is a rare ailment for which there is no cure. It was also the cause of Durley Moore's death. It's a cruel disease.

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 8:43 am    

Roger, I can only say how much I feel for you. We are at that age where all too often the news is not good.It seems like all my old music friends are passing away. But the memories still linger and give us a direct link to the past.You have had a wonderful career and are still kickin and pickin. Hang in there we need you around for another twenty or thirty years.I have known a lot of folks in this business and you are at the top of the list.I miss you and Susie....

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 1:02 pm    

Thank you, Bud - we miss you, too.

I'm trying to retire but can't quite manage it this year. Maybe next. Miss Susie just needed a new car which struck at the very heart of the old exchequer!

Peter really was a lovely man. There's been an outpouring of feeling about the loss of such a kind yet talented person.