The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Win 8.1 Upgrade Advisor?
J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2016 3:04 am    

Hoping I describe this correctly.........

Running an HP Envoy 700-214 pre-loaded with Win 8, have upgraded it via CD-ROM to 8.1 mainly to add Windows Media Center. Despite this occasionally a "upgrade now" banner takes over the display.

I'm sure there's some sort of KB file I can delete or disable to stop this? BTW that machine is NEVER online, not since brand new and running an update along while adding things like Power Shell for the classic interface.

Thanks in advance guys!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2016 4:22 am    

The Update notice was probably for Windows 10. Microsoft was offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 for Win 7 Home/Pro and Win 8.1 Home/Pro. The update offer has expired. Are you still getting them?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2016 5:57 am    

If the update notice is for free upgrade to Windows 10, the offer ended on July 29. The easiest way to get rid of the notices is to go online and run Windows Updates, on the afternoon of August 9. That is the next Patch Tuesday for Microsoft. They are releasing a patch that removes the Get Windows 10 nag screens.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2016 10:52 am    

No this wasn't/isn't for Win10---it says specifically I "need" to upgrade to Win 8.1, a shortcut to MS for that very purpose.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2016 1:05 pm    

J W Alexander wrote:
No this wasn't/isn't for Win10---it says specifically I "need" to upgrade to Win 8.1, a shortcut to MS for that very purpose.

You must have Windows 8.1 in order to receive any further patches or enhancements. Some software written for Windows 8 may only run properly on v 8.1, which is basically a service pack.

If you already have all the software installed that you ever intend to install, you don't need any further updates to anything. Keep the computer air gapped from the Internet and it will remain secure.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog