The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel guitar legs
John Orr

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 4:11 pm    

Are the telescoping legs on non pedal and lap steel uniform and interchangeable? Varying heights available?

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 11:16 pm    

I believe the answer to be no. I have two instruments with legs: A Rickenbacker and a Framus. The leg mountings and sockets are very different and not compatible.

Also, the method of setting the leg length is different. The Ricky uses a simple "twist" nut (I don't know what the correct name of it is) for tightening and loosening the grip on the leg and one just slides the leg in and out to set length.

The Framus' legs have notches which are secured by a screw nut.

I will add that I keep both clean of erosion and lubricated because if anything about a leg breaks then there is little chance of a replacement!

\paul

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos

John Orr

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 6:01 am    

Thanks. My thought is to order a lap steel from Blue Star guitar and have the Rogue legs fitted since I already have a set of legs I don't use. My concern is height.ni just watched a band on Saturday night called the Barn Door slammers, and the steel guy was kind of bent forward while standing. I would like to stand straighter, hence the concern for longer legs (not mine!).

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 18 May 2018 6:31 am    

Anyone know if lap steel legs are available for purchase? I have a Rickenbaker with fixed legs that are too high. Also legs that came with a Fender Deluxe 6 that don't extend enough. One to small, one too high...

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2018 7:07 am    

You can use legs that are made for pedal steel but you need an adapter for the screw in end, the threads are different.
Erv

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2018 7:09 am    

If the leg sockets on your Deluxe 6 are the same as a Fender Stringmaster (3/4"-10 thread), forum member Mark Roeder makes adjustable replacement legs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Stringmaster-Replacement-Legs/292450842934?hash=item44176db936:g:UVsAAMXQTgZQ-rQj

If you don't have a thread gauge, buy a cheap 3/4-10 bolt from the hardware store and see if it threads into the socket. You can do the same to figure out the thread size on your Rickenbacker. It will almost certainly be SAE - not metric.

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2018 10:54 pm    

If the legs are too long cut them off.

Gregory Horne

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2018 11:00 pm    

I have a Fender Deluxe 8. Before I bought it, I already had a Deluxe 34 Streamliner stand (from the same maker Bill refers to). The Deluxe 34 standard legs are 1/2 inch #13 thread (not the same as his stringmaster legs). Based on some forum advice I got inserts to adapt the Deluxe 34 legs to the sockets on my Fender. My Fender has the 3/4" #10 thread that Marks stringmaster legs have. That way I can use the stand (which I usually do) or put the legs directly in the guitar.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#90250a038/=1cwlgjy

I say all this in case you might want to consider getting one set of legs or a stand you can use with other guitars too. It's easier to adapt smaller threaded legs to a larger socket than the other way around.

I'm very happy with the legs and the Streamliner stand from Mark.