The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wagon Wheel
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2016 9:00 pm    

I've never heard the Darius Rucker cover, just the Old Crow Medicine Show one.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 7:28 am    

I think it's a fad song, soon to be forgot about.... Like Achey Breaky Heart. Perhaps some club owners are trying to accelerate this process. Personally, I don't find it anywhere near as offensive as most of the music on today's country radio.

I don't understand the lyrics though:

"So rock me momma like a wagon wheel
Rock me momma any way you feel
Hey momma rock me
Rock me momma like the wind and the rain
Rock me momma like a south bound train
Hey momma rock me"

What does all this "Rock Me" business mean. How do you get rocked like a wagon wheel, or a train? People in the bible got rocked, but they called it "stoned". People get stoned now, but they say they enjoy it. Roy Acuff sang about the Wabash Cannonball and Night Train to Memphis, and the Monkees sang about Last Train to Clarksville, but I don't think anyone got hurt on them.

Attn: Don Brown - in your experience with the RR, did you ever see a train rock anybody? Laughing

RC

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 7:31 am    

Perhaps sexual, Rick.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 8:48 am    

Rock me mama, Rock me baby are very well-worn phrases from old blues songs. E.g.,

Arthur Crudup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6SE5120UmE

BB King: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK_AwCjK0Ak

And it comes from well before any of these. In this context, certainly a sexual metaphor. I think you could also argue that it's a part of the 'rock' in 'rock and roll'.

I think the negative association with Rucker has to do with the fact that it's him. I can't explain it, but the level of negativity seems irrational to me. As I said before, I think a lot of it is a 'hipster' sort of thing. It's one thing to not like it or not want to play it. But to basically make a 'movement' out of it is over the top, IMHO.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 1:10 pm    

Rick Campbell wrote:
Attn: Don Brown - in your experience with the RR, did you ever see a train rock anybody? Laughing

RC

Rick, I'm not sure on that one. I CAN offer this shot from the cab of our train at the rock quarry about 5 miles west of Snyder Oklahoma, but once we left there we went east and then north, so it wasn't a "southbound train". Southwestern OK does have wind sometimes strong enough to rock you, but that day we didn't have any rain. I can assure you I had NOT had a "nice long toke", since that's a big no-no. Interestingly enough, the main generator on those diesel locomotives DOES have a part known as the "string band". So that's not much help.

On the other hand, I guess I can say I WAS 'on the steel" that day! Very Happy

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 2:44 pm    

Don,

It specifically says a south bound train. It's questionable as to any other direction would work. Maybe something to do with the Coriolis Effect.

RC

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 3:00 pm    

Rick Campbell wrote:
Don,

It specifically says a south bound train. It's questionable as to any other direction would work. Maybe something to do with the Coriolis Effect.

RC

OK, here you go! Just what you were asking about. In 2008, I WAS on a southbound train when a trucker drove a grain truck across in front of me. We almost got stopped but it still rocked him I'm sure. And it only caused minor damage. Nothing to fret about. And believe it or not, the honest truth is it happened in the town of Rocky Oklahoma!

Rick, I never connected the two, but from now I will think of that incident each time I hear or play that song!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 8:09 pm     What's Up With That?

One of the lyrics makes no sense: "But he's a-heading west from the Cumberland Gap to Johnson City, Tennessee." Johnson City is actually southeast of the Cumberland Gap.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 8:20 pm     Re: What's Up With That?

b0b wrote:
One of the lyrics makes no sense: "But he's a-heading west from the Cumberland Gap to Johnson City, Tennessee." Johnson City is actually southeast of the Cumberland Gap.

Musta been that nice long toke, b0b! Laughing

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2016 4:20 am    

A lot of people refer to "The Cumberland Gap" as the Cumberland Narrows near Cumberland, Maryland - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumberland_Narrows

The probable route would be PA Turnpike or PA-30 to Bedford, just a little more than an hour south of me, south on US 220 through Cumberland down to Roanoke, and then I-81 or or some other state highway from Roanoke to Johnson City. We often go to Tennessee from State College down I-99/US-220 down to Roanoke to avoid congestion further up on I-81. Lotsa trucks use it. It's a nice ride.

It's basic artistic license to refer to the narrows as a gap.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2016 4:41 am    

Dave, I have been through there several times and was mentally thinking of that as "Cumberland Gap". When this discussion arose I looked on a map and saw it labeled "Cumberland Narrows" and figured I was mistaken. Thanks for confirming I have not TOTALLY lost my marbles.

So actually that WOULD be one possible route from Philly to Johnson City and could be what the song is talking about.

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2016 6:37 am    

Yup - that is definitely a reasonable route. Those of us who live in the central and northern Appalachians travel extensively on what is gradually being converted into I-99, "The Applachian Thruway". This core of this is old US-220, which extends from Roanoke through Cumberland. There, it becomes I-99 for a period - it goes up through central PA and then up to the New York Border. From Williamsport PA, I-99 merges with US-15, but I was just coming down from visiting Bob Carlucci via Corning last month and US-15 is gradually converting to I-99 up to Corning, where it merges with I-86 in New York. So this whole Appalachian Thruway will be the main artery from central NY through central PA and south.

If you've ever been through the Cumberland Narrows, it certainly looks like a "gap" in the classic sense of the word. And plenty of people just call it "The Cumberland Gap", although technically that is not correct.

I don't know if the lyric writer intended this, nor do I think it matters. IMHO, the flap over this is that some people freakin' hate this song now and look for any excuse to diss it.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2016 6:45 am    

The discussion of Pennsylvania scenery I've seen is infinitely more interesting than the song.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2016 7:31 am     Wagon Wheel

Ten million flies can't be wrong!

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2016 10:36 am     Re: What's Up With That?

b0b wrote:

Yes it is b0b. I live between Cumberland Gap and Johnson City, TN.

RC

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2016 11:34 am    

I'm guessing by now that Rick has figured out that the chorus is full of sexual innuendo.

Otherwise Rick, knowing that you are a long-time pro musician, I am wondering how you have managed to lead such a sheltered life. Wink

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2016 5:55 am    

Mark Eaton wrote:
I'm guessing by now that Rick has figured out that the chorus is full of sexual innuendo.

Otherwise Rick, knowing that you are a long-time pro musician, I am wondering how you have managed to lead such a sheltered life. Wink

Mark. -- I'm not a long time pro musician. I'm an amature musician who was lucky to be in the right place at the right time and got to play quite a bit of professional music. However, my life was not as sheltered as it might appear. Laughing

As for the sexual references in the song. I see the lyrics mention "wind and rain". It seems like I remember hearing a joke about "Hurricane Gussie" on an old Gene Tracy 8 track tape when I was a kid, so that might be a connection. Laughing

RC

Doug Clark

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 1:36 pm    

Don R Brown wrote:
Lee Baucum wrote:
Tony Prior wrote:
the band starts playing and the owner comes up and says you're fired or I'm not paying you...and the gig is only 20 min into 4 hours...and the house is packed...Laughing

I'd have my gear out in the truck in another 20 minutes! Laughing

"Sorry folks, but we've just been fired for playing what YOU wanted to hear. But TOMORROW night, we'll be playing at____, come on out and catch the show there!"
Liked all three of those comments.
I ended up here after Googling for tab of "Wagon Wheel." (If you Google any song and don't get results for SGF, that might be a sign you shouldn't try playing it on a lap steel.)

A few other observations:
1) There was a very similar discussion (maybe more than one) about the song on Mandolin Cafe. One member posted a photo of a sign that one band had, apparently for how much they wanted to be tipped for doing certain songs. I think "Achy Breaky" was on there, and "Wagon Wheel" was at the bottom of the list, at $20.
Some MC readers despised the song, others said "If it gets the crowd up dancing and singing along, we're playing it."
2) I wish Darius Rucker hadn't walked down the middle of that railroad track in the video, or that whatever company owned the track that he was on had told him they wouldn't allow it. As a former Operation Lifesaver, Inc. volunteer, I think pics of celebrities on tracks can encourage kids to go places they shouldn't. There are all kinds of ways to get hurt on railroad property, and being hit by a train is only one way. Sad
3) I wonder if the Boston Pops Orchestra has ever had some doofus yell "Free Bird!" at a concert. Mr. Green

Lots of great comments here. It's good to be back. Cool

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2018 5:36 am    

Headed from the North in the land of the mines
I'm a'thumbin' my way out'a Mountain Iron
Starin' up the road and I pray to God I see domelights
Made the Twin Cities in six or seven hours
Pickin' me a bouquet a'ladyslipper flowers
I'm a'lopin' to Edina so I can see my baby tonight

Jeremy Reeves

Chatham, IL, USA