The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Darrell McCall "Lily Dale" album Questions
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 8:40 am    

Someone posted a link to "Dreams of a Dreamer" by Darrell. The picture of the cover in that slideshow of that album, is not the same as my copy of "Lily Dale". The versions are very different. I'm kind of having a hard time with it being Buddy in the first version below, although it probably is. It just doesn't sound like it to me. Did they re-record this album? Which was first?

The version posted on Facebook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfH0cjZhypA

This version is the version on my "Lily Dale" album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaZJnpVVNTM

Cover of my "Lily Dale" copy.

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 9:21 am    

Richard that's Buddy in the original album, but it's likely Dicky Overby in the Facebook post although it is not Dicky's picture in the video. It looks more like Rick Price maybe. Justin Trevino is playing bass on the video.
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 9:34 am    

The faster tempo version was originally on the "Reunion" LP from the 1980s, with Overby.

The slower version precedes "Reunion" and came out on a Columbia LP showing Darrell up against the front bumper of an old Ford truck, as I recall. I think that version has Buddy Emmons.

I imagine each of those early versions has been reissued on various CDs. Darrell might have cut the song a third time, but if so, I can't trace it right now.

Your "Lily Dale" CD appears to be a track for track reissue of the Columbia LP. The other version from youtube matches the Overby version on "Reunion".

Edit: here's the Columbia LP--mid to late 70s I'd guess.

and here's the Reunion LP from 1986:

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 10:06 am    

I need to drag out my vinyl copy. I believe it has the pickup truck picture. Mine is probably a re-release of the album on CD. It's definitely the same version. I had Buddy's version etch forever in my brain.

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 10:21 am    

What Mitch said is what I remember.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 10:49 am    

Mitch...

I found discographys on Allmusic.com, and Wikipedia that says Lily Dale was released in 1977.

And they only list that album, none more recent.

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 11:30 am    

I think Mo Lytle or Heart of Texas records did the reissue.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 11:42 am    

Just speaking for myself here - but to me - this is the mountaintop of steel guitar tone. Recorded Dec '75 / April '76 / Oct '76 some unissued cuts are on the Bear Family Box.
It was a very good decade.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 12:59 pm    

I have a CD that a friend gave me of Emmons, Rugg instrumentals and a couple of Darrell's songs with Buddy on steel including "Dreams of a Dreamer" and "Lily Dale" and a couple others. I also have a "Show" CD of Darrell's as we were going to back him here in Florida for some shows but the shows were cancelled. The "Show" CD has Dickey Overby on steel.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 3:17 pm    

Justin Griffith wrote:
I think Mo Lytle or Heart of Texas records did the reissue.

Mine just says "Earnest Record Shop". ETRS-1002

Strange

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2016 9:11 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Mitch...

I found discographys on Allmusic.com, and Wikipedia that says Lily Dale was released in 1977.

And they only list that album, none more recent.

All that means is that Allmusic is incomplete and/or erroneous.

Not for the first or last time.

Your ET Record Shop CD is NOT the same set of recordings as the Heart Of Texas CD. ET Record Shop CD is a Columbia reissue. Heart Of Texas CD is a BGM reissue.

The original version of "Dreams Of A Dreamer" was recorded 4/21/76, with Emmons and released on a Columbia vinyl LP. The ET Record Shop apparently re-issued it on your CD decades later. I have no idea if it's an authorized release, bootleg, or whatever.

The Overby version is more like 10 years later and was originally released on vinyl LP on BGM 123186. It was later re-issued on CD at least twice---by BGM on CD and by Heart Of Texas.

The Columbia recording runs about 3'05", while the BGM version is more like 3'18".

Here's the BGM CD notes:

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 5:11 am    

Richard:

Concerning "Lily Dale", neither the song (with Willie Nelson) nor the lp have been re-recorded. As mentioned by Mitch, the original Columbia lp was released in 1977 and a cd of the same original was released by Heart of Texas Records in 2008.

Dreams of a Dreamer (the song) was on the original Lily Dale lp and was also re-recorded on the Reunion cd.

Steel on original Dreams of a Dreamer was Buddy Emmons, on re-recorded version was Dicky Overby.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 6:53 am    

robert kramer wrote:
Just speaking for myself here - but to me - this is the mountaintop of steel guitar tone. Recorded Dec '75 / April '76 / Oct '76 some unissued cuts are on the Bear Family Box.
It was a very good decade.

I'm with you,Bob...don't think Buddy Emmons ever recorded anything I loved more than the"Lily Dale"album!

Great seeing you at the Pete Wade tribute!

Steve

Brand X

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 7:06 am    

Just for the record and worth repeating a lot, All Music is a valuable site and I go there frequently but don't be confused into thinking it is an encyclopedic source. It is only as good as its contributors make it and with a contributor base far smaller than wiki and without the resources to have a staff of fact checkers, it will have wrong information, incomplete information and no information a lot of the time. It is what it is.

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 8:08 am    

In the late 70's I backed up Darrell on a stage show in Colorado Springs. Judging from the info that it was released in 77' it must have been about 78 or 79. I got hold of a copy of the album with him sitting on the pickup and tried to learn the parts for Dreams of a Dreamer and I'll Break Out Tonight.

I don't know how close I really came but I do remember Darrell saying to me during a brief practice "Who are you Buddy Emmons". He must have been trying to be funny. Anyway it was a fun night for me. I have always like Darrell's music even before that night.

I had guessed before reading the comments that the other player was Dickey and that it was a remake at Heart of Texas Records. Both versions are great.

George

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 10:19 am    

Allmusic is a decent site, but I have caught many errors and omissions.

I do know my copy is the Original Lily Dale. I could probably hum every steel lick on that album. I wouldn't imagine that the Earnest Tubb Record shop could get away with bootlegging a copy. And, I did buy the CD from the ET Record shop. Buddy's tone is to die for.

It's so great to have albums like this to capture the different eras of Buddy's development.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2016 5:31 am    

I recall reading that Buddy used a Black, Bolt-On when he cut the "Lily Dale" album with Darrell... not "The Blade." Seems to me there may have been a photo of that session floating around here awhile back. Pretty Cool !!!

We did a few shows with Darrell in that time frame. Man, I dig his stuff and he's a cool guy too.

Chris "Tiny" O.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2016 8:46 am    

The band in the photos is Justin Trevino on bass, Ron Knuth on fiddle, Rick Price on steel, and (probably) either Smiley Reynolds or Dixie Hankins on drums.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2016 9:27 am    

Darrell has come a long way since the "Young Brothers" days.

The "Young Brothers" were Darrell and Donny Young (AKA Johnny Paycheck).

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2016 11:13 am    

Here's the photo and SGF thread about Buddy playing a bolt-on in 1975. Fred Carter, Jr. on guitar:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=290175&sid=bf7de818ef16c4f5956e05bb9770a2fd