The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reverser
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 5:30 pm    

Pertaining to pull rods and the like , What exactly is a reverser and what does it do in the pull train of a guitar? I am building a pedal steel and contemplating to use a pull release or an all pull changer .

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 7:20 pm     Reverser

Reverser is changing the direction of pull on either the left knee levers or right knee levers so all pull on the rods to the changer.

you can reverse the Pivot point and the pull point on the knee lever itself and have left and Right knee lever pull on the rod to the changer.
This is a picture of a GFI Ultra with this type setup.

Another way is use the same pivot and pull point for all 4 knee levers then reverse 2 of the with a reverser so they all pull the rods to the changer. Old MSA's used this mechanical set up. with the Right knee levers being reversed with a pivoting bar. (REVERSER) Here is a picture of this setup.

Hope this will help you.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 7:26 pm    

This, perhaps?

This is the E-lowering mechanism on my Marlen D10.

The two small red circles at left are the lowering-collars on the tension rods for the E-notes. These are pushed by the bellcranks to lower the Es. A tab on each collar fits into the bellcrank to prevent the rod from turning when the open E-note is tuned using a tuning-nut on the threaded end of the tension-rod (at the endplate window).

To make the cross-shaft rotate in the correct sense, a bellcrank at the E-lowering knee-lever (upper right, circled) pushes a rod which runs to the bellcrank on the E-lowering cross-shaft (lower right, circled), but because the rod at that end is attached to the opposite end of the bellcrank, the direction of rotation of the E-lowering cross-shaft is reversed with respect to the direction of rotation of the knee-lever cross-shaft.

I also added a small return-spring to ensure the knee-lever "returns to battery" Here it is "at rest":-

and here it is activated:-

The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 7:29 pm     Reverser

Sorry for the little GFI picture. Here it is big.

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 10:07 pm    

Bobby That's just about what I was thinking a reverser was thanks for the info and yes it does help , look simple and direct and looks like it would be in keeping with what I'm working on .

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 10:10 pm    

Ned I think I understand what you posted looks a little complicated to me however.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 10:57 pm    

Most modern steels use something like shown in this pic. You can see the reverser in the upper right corner. It virtually eliminates the slop that is inherent with other designs.

As you can see, the foot of one knee fits under and lifts the foot of the other, to move that axle in the proper direction. Probably not the right terminology, but you get the idea.

My older Sierra had the pull rod type reversers, and the slop/free play, long travel really bothered me. I changed them over to this design and I am very pleased with the results.

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 11:09 pm    

yes indeed I see how that works thank you