The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nylon flat pick for steel (or guitar)
Richard Wilhelm

Ventura County, California
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 1:17 am    

After seeing Ed Littlefield of Marley's Ghost play his pedal steel with a flat pick and 2 metal finger picks , I realized I wasn't the only one and should come out of the proverbial closet. He gave his reasons, better control of the pick and you can pick from both sides. I totally agree and the sound I get from a flat nylon pick are the sweetest I've ever gotten out of my old Fender 400. Single notes and strumming sound the best. That being said, my vote for the best sounding pick is the gold Herco nylon made by Dunlop. They were listed with a thickness of 1.4mm but are sold as "thin". But to really make that pick shine, a little sandpaper work is required. To me it sounds best to pick from the long edge thus the meat of the pick. The thin edge of the pick should be litely brushed with fine sandpaper to smooth any tics. And one whole side can be sanded down (the side that says "nylon"). It's a rough pattern but a little sanding gives a very bright and clean tone. The side that says Herco should be left alone for most of that side is already smooth. The closet pick to this Herco is the Dunlop nylon 1mm, but there is no comparison. The thickness and the flexibility of the Herco is just about perfect IMO.... Side note- saw David Gilmore (another flat pick player) play a Fender 1000 on Easter Sunday, not using any pedals. Most of his show was played on a highly worn Telecaster. The sustain that he had was incredible on both guitar and steel .

Fender 400, Fender FM212, G&L ASAT.

Was part of a hippie-Christian store in Cotati, California (circa 1976) called THE EYE OF THE RAINBOW. May God love you.

Last edited by Richard Wilhelm on 6 Apr 2016 11:06 am; edited 14 times in total

Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 3:56 am    

OK, I'm another "closet" pick user (pick and two finger picks - always have). Often use the same on 6 string too but mostly take the finger picks off.
You will never sound the same as a thumbpick player though if that is an issue for you. I use a 1mm pick and .022 brass Dunlop finger picks. The technique for harmonics is very different to the 'norm'.
I have never found a thumbpick that will stay on my thumb.

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 4:40 am    

Jim Priebe wrote:
OK, I'm another "closet" pick user (pick and two finger picks - always have). Often use the same on 6 string too but mostly take the finger picks off.
You will never sound the same as a thumbpick player though if that is an issue for you. I use a 1mm pick and .022 brass Dunlop finger picks. The technique for harmonics is very different to the 'norm'.

Thank you SOO much Jim...

I never found one either.. Rolling Eyes
...I was beginning to wonder about my thumb.....

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 4:46 am    

Jim Priebe wrote:

When I started playing I tried various plastic thumb picks because that was the norm. The only one that would stay on was the Dunlop tortoiseshell but that was too tight for comfort and wore down rapidly. The Dunlop metal pick stayed on but was clunky (although I've seen Sarah Jory using one, so if it's good enough for her...) I finally settled on the Propik all-metal thumbpick which sounds good, is comfortable and stays on. But then no two thumbs are the same, so YM will V.

Jim Priebe

Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 3:12 pm    

My thumbs are 'double jointed' (I think they call it) and click in an out which also complicates the control.
My Dad was a dairy farmer so my hands grew up to be very strong and large from hand milking (I'm sticking to that one!) and very un-musician like.
Ian: I tried every imaginable type of thumb pick and in the end just gave up. I can play with one but far prefer a plectrum.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 5:47 pm    

Because I played guitar for many years, before starting on steel,I was used to a flat pick...Thumb picks just never seem to work well for me..Then when I was gigging I played both and jumping back and forth between the two it just seemed the easier way to go..
Flat pick and bare finger tips..

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2016 5:51 pm    

It seems to work very well for Sid Hudson.

John Bresler

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2016 5:43 am    

Dick Meis in Denver switches from guitar to pedal steel and uses a flat pick as the thumbpick on steel. Very cool to watch him in action. It also works very well for him. He once said "Nobody told me it was the wrong way" but I think it is the right way for him.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2016 1:43 pm    

You flatpick guys...
How do you mute or block the strings.
John

Jim Priebe

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2016 2:35 pm    

Muting is just the same only more options.
Little finger, thumb knuckle, palm, folded under fingers, and the thumb and fore finger too as the plectrum will fit between the strings. This is how I do harmonics - forefinger damping and picked with third finger pick (behind damping). Pretty hard to even see it is happening.

Richard Wilhelm

Ventura County, California
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2016 4:15 pm    

I don't know if my strings are a little older or the moon is waning but I've changed my mind about the best flat pick to use for steel. The winner is the Dunlop regular nylon 1mm. And you can take some sandpaper to sand down the rough portion (the portion that is molded to get a grip) and get a clear tone off the meat of the pick. The late Albino Rey, who use to live not far from where I live , would play with a flat pick. A few years ago DeAndrea made a nylon pick that was completely smooth, It had the coolest tone when played hard along with a metal finger pick. To my way of playing it was a one trick pony but I loved it. Of course they don't make those anymore. Well, back to reading Pick Collector Quarterly.

Fender 400, Fender FM212, G&L ASAT.

Was part of a hippie-Christian store in Cotati, California (circa 1976) called THE EYE OF THE RAINBOW. May God love you.