The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone know the steel player for Jude N Jody & Mathis Bros ?
Charles Kurck

Living in Arkansas but Heaven is home
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 5:32 am    

Doug Campbell plays Steel Guitar Rag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdI1PKWgFLQ

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 8:39 am    

Quote:
I remember Twitty Burger too - it was on S. Western. It was there for quite a while.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 9:28 pm    

Ken Collins is a walking encyclopedia for all things Oklahoma City Country Music!

Gary Carpenter and I both took lessons from Doug Campbell -

Jim Hoke played on both Mountain Smoke albums in the mid 1970's. Did a lot of Harmonica, piano, and horn I believe. Doesn't surprise me that he's a great steel player now!

It was a great city to be in during those times...a lot of great influences. (mostly musical!)

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 5:38 pm    

Joe Goldmark made a comment about Lew Houston's licks. He had the licks and they were his own. I think I remember that I was told he had his tuning turned upside down to what we think as standard today. With pedals down it was the E 9th and with pedals up was A 6th. Maybe Ken Collins will see this and add some info. He will know if anyone does. Thanks, J.R.

ken collins

Oklahoma City, OK.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2020 8:27 am     Lew Houston

I believe Lew tuned his Fender 400 to "D" no pedals and "A" pedals engaged. Backwards to most of us. He was very adept at chickin pickin and I think as someone else mentioned, he did not use a volume pedal, instead wrapped his little finger around the volume pot and was very proficient and smooth. He left for California and I think he acquired a D10 MSA there. He called me around 2010? and was living in Missouri and wondering about the music situation in OKC. Last time I talked to him was then. Conway hired John Hughey on steel and Charlie Archer on guitar around 1970. Charlie at that time left the "Nite Lovers" band which previously noted Doug Campbell played steel for. After a few years of Jude and Jody shows, Doug joined Dale Bennett and played on the Bob Mills shows for about four years Doug soon after moved to Nebraska; He called me occasionally and was missing playing what he was good at saying he was playing in true rock and roll bands Very little country music there and that was even back a few years, prior to what we are seeing today.