The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Texas: Disappointed at Sheraton TSGA Hotel
Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 8:47 am    

On August last year (7 months ago) I called for reservations for two rooms with two double beds for March 11-12 TSGA Jamboree. They emailed me two confirmation numbers with nice pictures of their rooms etc. and a nice note at how pleased to confirm your upcoming visit and how pleased to make sure your stay is seamless blah blah. Last Fri (March 4th) I get an email saying...due to overwhelming demand at this years TSGA our hotel is over booked and we've made arrangements for you across the street at the Westin. Disappointing to say the least. Sad
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 10:25 am    

I wouldn't be too disappointed about stay at the Westin. Very nice hotel and literally 2 minutes away. Just across the Freeway.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 11:24 am    

You kinda miss the point Mark. It's not about staying at the Westin. It's very nice. I've stayed there many times before the TSGA was moved to the Sheraton. The disappointment is getting bumped after having confirmation for seven months at the Sheraton.
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 2:44 pm    

You know Don that is a major point that flew over my head!!!! I sure see you point. That's liked getting bumped from a flight because of overbooking. I would be upset as well.

M

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 2:44 pm    

I am with you Don. I would be disappointed too if they pulled that on me. While the Westin is nice staying where the show is being held makes it more convenient.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 4:13 pm    

My biggest complaint was spending $40 for a hamburger and fries there.
Yep, it was my fault, I didn't look at the menu, just asked the waitress for the burger and fries
and when I got the bill I was surprised to say the least.
It wasn't gold plated or previously owned by Buddy Emmons or anything.
JB

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 4:15 pm     Sheraton Dallas

Evidently confirmed reservations don't mean anything. It is obvious to me they haven't a clue as to how to plan, organize and execute the reservation process. I wrote to the general manager of the hotel to express my concerns re my failed reservations and of course I got no reply. What a trashy way to treat customers... Evil or Very Mad

Bobby Rountree

San Angelo, Texas, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 6:00 am     Reservations

Why have reservations...If they do not honor them ?

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 9:46 pm    

Don't just whine here, make sure Albert Talley knows about the snafu's, I'm sure he'll have a word with hotel management and do whatever he can to make things right. I've seen that happen with the SWSGA show in Phoenix. There's probably a contact page on the TSGA website, try that. Take it to the top!!!

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 2:45 am    

Last edited by Rick Barnhart on 8 Mar 2016 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 6:03 am    

John It's not whining it's just stating disappointing fact. The email I got said Mr. Talley was aware of the change. Now I'm having trouble getting confirmation from Westin.
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 6:04 am    

The language issue Question here is? Who ever set this event up with the business corporation being the Sheraton & the TSGA heads chief leaders. I'm sure agreements is in a contract that was made and not by a hand shake deal.Just take time to soak your brain at night as you sleep and the answers will come out in reason for them and not you Don Ricketson. This is how the new world of business works in the ripple of be a refugee American. Good luck and may God help it out in your favor. I doubt it,But! Winking Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr.

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 6:19 am    

Actually Leo, it's not a language deal. I have two separate confirmation numbers sent to me in August for two rooms with two double beds. I have copies of the emails with the confirmation numbers. They know this. There is another couple going with us. None of us are spring chickens anymore. I'm 80 and the rest are in their seventies not that matters, but convenience would be a consideration.
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"

Ed Brooks

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 7:31 am    

I discovered last night they have canceled mine. No explanation given and thet didn't let me know. I only figured it out because I was trying out there app. At this point I am waiting for a call back. Furious

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 8:33 am    

Ed, sorry you're having trouble too. I was wondering if I was the only one getting bumped. Their email said Mr. Talley was aware of all this. I wonder if that is really true? I haven't missed a TSGA Jamboree since when it was held downtown years ago. My wife won the Justice ProLite steel guitar last year. I kinda wanted her to win another one this year. I forwarded the two confirmation pages I had from August to the guy that bumped me and said "just so you know". I hope you get the callback soon. Good luck.
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"

Ed Brooks

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 9:21 am    

I have been on the phone with corporate customer service and just got reinstated. I got there by complaining at the reservation center. It took quite a while and I believe he called the hotel and fixed it. I would say call the booking line tell them what happened and ask for corporate customer service. Good luck

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 9:24 am    

Don Ricketson wrote:
Now I'm having trouble getting confirmation from Westin.

Here's to hoping they bump you back over to the Sheraton.

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 10:40 am    

OK. No dog in this fight.

Most Hotels have two ways of renting rooms prior to you getting there.

1) Reservation
2) Booked

The difference is a reservation means you're coming and want a room. No monetary transaction has taken place. The hotel agrees to "reserve" you a room but also reserves the right to cancel. You can also cancel or just not show and there's no loss.

When you book a room you pay in advance. There are usually lenient policies on cancelling such as 48 hours notice to get a refund. The Hotel must provide you the room you paid for. They can't cancel it unless it's under some emergency.

At least that's the way I understand it.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 12:01 pm    

They take your credit card number at the time you reserve, supposedly to guarantee your room will b e held until you arrive. Period. Unless you cancel 24 hours before. I don't care to argue about it though.
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 1:05 pm    

All of Albert's time is being taken up with hotel issues... Not fun for him/Debbie. I was called to confirm my reservation two weeks ago... made me think about the poor folks they couldn't contact.

Every year they get a new crew in... so every year it's like starting from zero. Albert's not getting any younger either... Everyone that can should pitch in where they can.

That said, I'm excited and looking forward to the event. Sorry the Non-Pedal schedule is not out yet... that's coming ASAP. See y'all there!

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 4:03 pm    

Ollin Landers wrote:
a reservation means you're coming and want a room. No monetary transaction has taken place. The hotel agrees to "reserve" you a room but also reserves the right to cancel. You can also cancel or just not show and there's no loss. At least that's the way I understand it.

I sure never understood it that way. No money has to change hands to have a contract, legally. What is the significance of a reservation confirmation number, if it doesn't confirm anything?

This little debacle clearly demonstrates the hotel's conscious business decision to overbook, a truly nasty practice. They knew that for this event (and likely others as well), there would be more potential customers than rooms, and they did it to ensure full occupancy at the expense of customer good will. It speaks volumes about their corporate philosophy.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 4:10 pm    

One of Seinfeld's better moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7uvttu8ct0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7uvttu8ct0

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 4:17 pm    

Steven I didn't bother Albert about this. I know he has his bucket full. They already said he was aware of their circumstances. Anyway we'll check in at the Westin across the freeway and do what ever we need to do. I will have a couple with me and my wife that loves steel guitars and have never been to a show before so I just wanted it to be as perfect as we had planned all year. We'll survive and maybe even have fun. After all what else could possibly go wrong:-)
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2016 2:03 pm    

Sorry for yalls trouble and I know it must be frustrating. I'm staying at Red Roof, $54 a night and walking distance of Denny's where you can get a whole meal for under $10. Two minutes from convention.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2016 2:53 pm    

Henry I will probably do that next year. No use making reservations at the sheraton if they won't honor it.
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"