The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jim Evans has passed on
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2016 4:53 pm    

I just got a voicemail from Albert Talley that Jim passed away. I am heart broken as I write this. Jim was my friend and mentor in amp electronics. He helped me so many times over the years. A true gentleman and outstanding electronics pioneer for steel guitar amps. I had the honor of playing guitar with him on the main stage at the Dallas Show just a few years ago. We also worked together in sessions on setting steel guitar amps and troubleshooting at the Dallas Show as well. I just spoke with Jim a few weeks ago. We were planning on jamming some at Dallas this year.

I can't say more now, I just need to sit back and try to handle the loss of a true friend. RIP Jim, you will be missed by so many!

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2016 6:29 pm    

Jim was my first musical mentor and the guy responsible for me playing this whacky instrument. I just got off the phone with his daughter-in-law and she said he was packing gear to go to a gig, fell over and passed on the spot. Such a remarkable man...electronics guru, great player, great husband and father and was able to blend all his talents for the tone benefit of so very many steel and guitar players. He'll be missed by so many at many levels. Peace and blessings to his family and many friends. -Mike

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2016 7:18 pm     Sorry to here this

He always had a kind word and always came but to chat in Dallas. I am shocked. He has been a mentor to many.

What a lose

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2016 8:14 pm    

Jim was a true friend and nobody loved steel guitar more than Jim. He was so looking forward to Dallas show and was going to practice and play some with us tonight. He died doing what he loved to do and didn't suffer so I'm thankful for that.
Jim was a brilliant man and a brilliant player. Jim and I always played together on Friday nights with me on fiddle and him on steel and we always had a blast. He will surely be missed.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2016 9:24 pm    

A wonderful man, Jim always came by my booth to say hi.
Jim was the real deal, a genuine gentleman.
My condolences to the family, Rest in peace brother Jim Evans.

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 5:28 am    

Hello All;
So sorry to hear of Jim's passing.
It was always great to see him & speak with him in Dallas at the TSGA Jamboree there.
He loved that show & all the folks there.
He sure loved to play the pedal steel guitar too.
We had some good talks together about several different things & I enjoyed talking with him.
My condolences to his family & all of his many friends.
R.I.P. Mr. Jim
Ron

Here is a real good article on Jim's career starting when he was just a young kid.
I hope you enjoy reading it - I sure did.
Ron

http://www.jewellhousetribute.com/jim-evans.html

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 9:13 am    

So sorry to hear of Jim's passing. He was a good one...

Billy

Buddie Hrabal

Arlington,Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 10:12 am    

I'm saddened of Jim's passing.He was not only a great player, but a real innovator in steel guitar amplification. I still have my 1968 Evans Compactra 100, all hand wired with nothing solid state and a D-130, wow what a sound.(it still works great)He was a genius. RIP my brother

Bobby Lenamon

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 11:57 am     Jim Evans passing

I'm really sad to hear Jim has passed away.I own an evans amp and know they are great. He was an innovator and provided me technical info when I was in need. I valued his friendship and am going to treasure it from now on
RIP dear friend.
MCI D10,Evans amps,Fender Twin,Sessions 500,Peavey amps, Fender guitars,Gibson guitars,G & L guitars,Taylor/Takamine/Gibson acoustics,Vintage guitars,DD 3,Boss pedals, Pro Fex,Shure/Carvin Sound Equipment

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 3:48 pm    

This is very sad news indeed. My thoughts and prayers are with Jim's family and friends.

Scot Buffington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 4:35 pm    

Jim Evans always seemed to know the right words to say at the right time to help someone. He was one of music's best friends.

Visitation is Monday, March 7 from 6 to 7:30 PM at Texarkana Funeral Home, 3515 Texas Blvd. His funeral will be held at the Kingdom Hall on Norton St at 2 PM on Tuesday, March 8. Both locations are in Texarkana.

Our hearts are plum broke.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 5:54 pm    

I really enjoyed the technical sessions Jim and Dave Beaty put on in the Telonics room at the Dallas steel show - wonderfully technical stuff in a way everyone could understand.
Very sad news - RIP Jim - condolences to his family.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 6:31 pm    

I'm sorry to hear this.....sincere condolences to his family.
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 3:16 am    

While I did not know Jim very well, he was always so kind when I visited with him. My understanding is he was an electronics genius and a very good steel player as well. So sad to lose him the week of the Texas show which he was looking forward to attending.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 4:44 am    

I only first met Jim a few years ago when I started doing the emcee work at the TSGA. I always loved to introduce him on stage and pick his brain a little.

RIP Jim

Ronnie Miller

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 5:43 am    

Sorry to hear the news of Jim's passing.. Prayers of comfort to the family... RIP Jim...

Charles Tilley

Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 6:36 am    

I was not a close friend like a lot of you but knew him for several years. Another sad loss to our steel guitar family. This is coming way too often. 3 years ago in March we lost Larry Agan.....1 years ago in March, we lost Bud Carter. Now Jim Evans. I may be a year off on Larry and Bud.
My condolences to the family of Jim and to all his friends.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 9:14 am    

Paddy Long wrote:
I really enjoyed the technical sessions Jim and Dave Beaty put on in the Telonics room at the Dallas steel show - wonderfully technical stuff in a way everyone could understand.
Very sad news - RIP Jim - condolences to his family.

Me too Paddy. Jim was very passionate about amplification at last year's Dallas Show - this is sad news.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 9:18 am    

The only connection I have to Mr.Evans is that I have one of his amps, and it is sounding great! Goodbye Sir.

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 8:17 pm    

Sad news. Our condolences to Jim's family. He was a real friend and great to be around for many years.
...Roy and Barbara

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 9:55 pm    

One of the kindest individuals that I ever met. An historic figure. He told me how he played the Louisiana Hayride with Zane Beck and Jimmy Day. Told me about how he got into the amplifier
business just by making his own. They are all leaving folks. They will be very missed. Rest in peace Mr. Evans. Your work is done.

Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 8:45 am    

I enjoyed meeting Jim at the Dallas show. His daughter Selena is a friend of a friend. Praying God's comfort for Jim's family.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 10:26 am    

Our deepest sympathies to Jim's family. I too had one of his earlier amps. It was a Hybrid model and wish I still had it. Jim was a very kind and humble person. He will be terribly missed at the Texas Show.

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2016 11:03 am    

My condolences to the Evans family on Jim's sudden passing!

Dick Hitchcock

Wayne, Nebraska
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2016 3:01 pm    

I met Jim at the Justice booth last year in Dallas...What a nice man he was to me, and what a player...He sat down and played one of Fred's steels, and just blew me away...Though I just met you last year, Rest in peace Jim!