The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D6th almost Universal - for your consideration.
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 9:46 am    

Very cool, b0b

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 8:47 pm    

b0b wrote:
Tom,

I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it would be a challenge on a push-pull. The tunable splits won't work, of course, but that's no big deal. The main problems are the triple raises and the half-stop lever RKR.

LKV2 is just there for completion of the standard 4-lever C6th. Very handy in jazz, but I played for years without it. You really don't need it. Leaving it out would simplify the 4th string quite a bit.

I say go for it! Very Happy

My regular Uni coped has your LV1 on a knee as well. But thinking the "P7" (your P5) in the 6/9 uni model is basically analogous to the Mooney approach to the C pedal..

I am a two foot C6 player.. So I would never get lost going A+B + P7.. I do use the vol pedal more with E9 playing particularly on the songs where the C change is on a knee, it glides in soulfully. So not ideal, but given the 6th orientation of the coped... May be passable.

Thoughts about this condensation? I know the 6 to 7 degree change going on also with "p7"... But for E9 style playing, the grip has to avoid that string anyways.

Tough one...

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 10:57 pm    

I use P5 (the C6th P7) when I want the fast, Mooney-style bounce, but I've also had the E9th E to F# on LKV for over 30 years. I'm very comfortable with raising the root a full step on my vertical lever. I often use it with P2 and the half-stop on RKR (making C E G notes on the open strings).

On the middle 8 strings, P2 makes the G chord with an A in the middle: G.B.D.G.A.B.D.G. Adding the LKV and RKR raises it to a full C6th: G.C.E.G.A.C.E.G. Look familiar? Smile

Here's another interesting feature for Hawaiian players. P5+P6 produces the classic 6-string B11th tuning: B.D#.F#.A.C#.E. "Sand", anyone?