The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BMI Conversion
Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 5:58 am    

I got a friend that bought a BMI S10 3p3kn from Bobby Seymour some years back and Bobby's shop installed a fourth knee lever using GFI crosshaft and bell cranks. Has anyone ever converted a BMI from the cross bars to cross shafts?

Thanks

Dwight
ijaash@yahoo.com

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 6:35 am     Conversion

Dwight,
We have had several customers request that very thing. Our next model will have the cross shaft similar to what Bobby did. We will continue to make the models we are making but we have that in the works. I am sure Tommy Young on the forum here could convert one over for you if your friend wanted it,

Dan

Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 9:50 am     BMI Conversion

Thanks Dan for your reply. Do you have a contact for Tommy Young?

Thanks
Dwight
ijaash@yahoo.com

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 12:35 pm    

I think that would be a HUGE step in the direction that would certainly put BMI in the mainstream of builder. While BMI mechanism has alway seemed to work just fine,,,it still (to me) looks like something assemble on an as needed basis from ACE hardware (knowing Zane, it probably was originally,,,LOL),,,but there is no denying,,,it works great the way it is!!!!!

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 1:00 pm     Bmi

The flatbars(cross shafts)is the very reason I've never purchased a BMI guitar. I prefer square shafts or shafts like Excel & Mullen use. Thanks.

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 1:02 pm    

Dwight,
Here is Tommy's Number.662-251-0948.

Sonny,
We have had some request to do this for a while so we are moving in that direction for a new model. We still have players out there that like the way we have done it for years. We are working on a new look on the top as well. It is in the development stages and will be a while before it is available. We will post it on the Forum and the website when it is available,

Dan

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 8:24 pm    

BMI's are great sounding guitars. I learned to play on a BMI single 10. My friend has two of them and they both sound great. Only objection I I even had was the flat bars. It wasn't I objected to the flat bars, it was just that the pivot point made the pedals have a mushy feeling. Glad to see that BMI is going to have a new model with regular cross bars. Will be a great axe.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 10:15 am    

Interesting discussion. I purchased a brand new BMI S-10 a couple of years ago. The guitar sounds wonderful.

The flat cross bars are, indeed, different; however, once I figured out how the mechanism works, I was able to get all the pulls timed exactly the way I want them and got all the pull rods located just the way I want them.

With regard to the pedals being "mushy feeling", I have not experienced that at all. The feel of the pedals is no different than the feel of the pedals of the Mullen I played for many years. I also have a Williams S-10. I was able to set up the feel of the BMI's pedals to feel just like the Williams, including the travel. The BMI pedals have 4 holes in the top, so you can move the pedal rod to a position that feels best to you and provides the amount of travel you prefer.

I'm happy I bought my BMI. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 10:50 am     Thanks Lee

Thanks Lee and Henry. Henry, Lee is right. The size of the cross bars have nothing to do with the feel of the pedals or pedal action. There are several adjustment that can be made on the guitar to get the feel you want. It is ashamed no one fixed that for you. Had I known, we could have done something about it.

Lee, I'm glad your liking your BMI. I need a picture of you behind yours to post on the website please.

The up and coming new model will look different than the ones we currently build. We will not stop building our standard models. Why? We have been building for 45 years. We still provide support for the ones we built in the 70's. We still have a large client base that likes the current design and we want to continue to support them.

Like any other business we are wanting to provide a new model with modern aesthetics and at the same time provide the quality and service we have for 45 years.

It will be a while before we are ready to debut the guitar. We are in the design stage as a write this post.

Thanks All,

Dan

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 3:31 pm    

BMI are wonderful guitars, I love them just the way they are...

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 5:18 pm    

I have 2 BMI S10's. I'm not a great player but they are easy to set the way you want them IMHO I have an 86 that was a closet case for year's the tuning key's are not real easy to turn like my 03 but I'm going to get anew set from Don shortly.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 9:42 am    

BMIs cross shafts have there stops build in the end they are invisible works for the Pedals an Knees. Also works for a very thin bell cranks. Really some of the popular brands could binifit by using these I see no reason BMI would consider a change to the cross shaft. If u ever get to work on a BMI u will see the genius of Zane Becks Design. They also use cross shaft to mount knee leavers at a comfortable angle.