The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bruce Zumsteg Autobiography ~ Zumsteel
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 23 May 2016 9:36 pm    

Just finished Bruce's book. Very enjoyable read, one that every steel player can relate to.

I enjoyed his tales of rural upbringing in the 1950s, also his struggles to get information about the steel back then. At that time you had to find someone who played and cozy up to them to learn anything. Occasionally a show would come through and you could actually see a great player, but other than that, it was learn by ear and guess as to how it was done.

Bruce takes us through his early building attempts with all his struggles to get parts machined and casted. Finally we see him painstakingly building the quality guitars that Zum is known for. Also Bruce shares stories about some of the great players that he had the fortune to befriend as they became Zum players.

Finally, some personal notes. I've owned and played two Zums for over 25 years now and nothing has ever broken and the guitars have barely needed adjustment. When I played Emmons' it was a constant battle just to keep them in the game. It's been so nice always having a guitar that I can pull out of the case, check the tuning, and it's good to go.

Also, in the early nineties, when I was doing some touring, I was jealous of the guitarists who could play on the bus or in the dressing room, etc., while I only had a few minutes to warm up during sound check if I was lucky. I asked Bruce if he could build me a 10 string lap steel board with a C6 tuning on it, that I could have around on the bus, etc. just to warm up with. Bruce quoted me a super low price and set out to make it. Of course Bruce being Bruce, he made it be a quality instrument, a real lap steel with all Zum hardware, maybe the only one in existence? I still enjoy messing with it. Thanks again, Bruce

Joe

Joshua Tschetter

South Dakota
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 11:26 am    

I read this book over the weekend, great read, lots of cool story's on how the Zumsteel came to be. lots of cool pictures! Thanks for sharing your story Bruce!!

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 11:36 am     Bruce's book

Is Bruce's book still available?

Jeremy Moyers

Lubbock, TX
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 2:01 pm    

I spoke with Bruce just before Christmas and he said that he still had several copies of his book available.

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 6:14 pm    

Thanks Jeremy. I should have asked also, if he still had his CD project available.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2022 6:04 am    

i wrote to bruce but he doesn't have any left. any body want to sell or borrow a copy.