The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI Ultra vs Expo
Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2009 2:09 am    

What is the difference between the GFI Ultra and the GFI Expo ?

Thomas

Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2009 4:43 am    

The main difference (other than the look, and the cost) is the changer fingers. The Expo has aluminum fingers, and the Ultra has stainless steel fingers. This affects the sound quite significantly.

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2009 5:10 am    

I have both, and they are both great guitars, I use them on the road alot, and they are for sure a players dream! I have been playing my maple expo the last year or so, and it always kicks butt.. Played my red expo in St. louis this year and it was on the money as well.. had many comments on the tone... it was the player that needed help!
Mike Winking

Joey Ace

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2009 8:16 am     Do I know everybody?

Howdy Mike and Ryan.

I'll add that the the Expo has a more traditional look, due to the endplates.

When I bought my Ultra the Expo had not been released.
I would have chosen the Ultra anyway, as I wanted the Keyless Tuner, for compactness reasons. It's not an option on the Expo as far as I know.

Ryan Barwin

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2009 8:33 am    

Joey, do you play your GFI much at live shows? Or are you just using the Carter for the BR stuff?
Anyway, it's a nice sounding guitar and the pedal and lever action is really light and comfortable.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2009 8:35 am    

I have an Ultra keyless, and I am very happy with it. But I don't have both, so I can't compare, as can Mike.

Below is an excerpt from Bobbe Seymour from his e-mail newsletter, 10/19/09, and this will shed some additional light:

Quote:
Hello fellow players,

This will be a mechanical nuts and bolts gear type Monday newsletter. The question we get every day through email or in person is, “What is the difference between the GFI Ultra and the Expo?”

They sound identical. Mechanically they look the same and are almost. So why have two different models that are almost identical in the same brand of guitar?

I know what the factory told me which was the Expo model was a production line guitar with end caps on the front face of the guitar, only made in one color frame and five different colors of mica with no custom touches to be done at all on these guitars.

For the Ultra, you can get different color metal frames and any color mica or any pedal setup, any number of pedals or knee levers and any other custom touch you may want.

Not so with the Expo. The quality is identical in both guitars and both guitars use almost the same parts throughout. If you are the type player that wants a standard setup, you’d be much better off with the Expo. If you want a custom guitar, the Ultra is the way to go.

To the person that thinks he’s getting a better guitar to buy an Ultra is kidding himself. The quality in the Expo is just as top notch as it is in the Ultra. One thing sure, as long as it says GFI on the front, you’ll get more than what you pay for.

Ryan Barwin

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2009 8:41 am    

There's also the Expo X1, which is a beautiful guitar.

Joey Ace

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2009 9:08 am    

Ryan,
I do not use the GFI on BR shows because I believe the more traditional look (Not Keyless) better suits that band.

The GFI gets used in club dates with other bands, and for rehearsals. It's just easier to move, being a bit shorter.

I never saw an "Expo x1". Very pretty, but I never liked their logos. Mine are removed and safely stored.

From GFI's website:
Quote:
Expo" Models... have all the mechanical features of the "Ultra" except there are no deflection minimizing crossrod brackets.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2009 3:46 pm    

All GFI models are great steel guitars. Jody.

Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2009 1:36 am    

@Ryan
Quote:
The Expo has aluminum fingers, and the Ultra has stainless steel fingers. This affects the sound quite significantly.

makes this affect one them sound brighter or darker ?

Thomas

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2009 2:20 am    

i have the stainless steel fingers on my expo (at an additional cost) and the GFI III pickups as well...
And man it smokes.... My poor Emmons has not seen daylight since i don't know when!

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2009 9:38 am    

The Expo X1 is stunning, but it makes the logo look even more awkward. With the gold veined look, it should be script rather than block lettering.

But that's just my opinion.

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2009 5:34 pm    

Coming from an Emmons push-pull lover, I believe GFI is the best all-pull guitar out there. Just go to the Web site read about all of the features. I own an SD-10 Ultra and it is awesome. I still have my Emmons push-pull, but I have been tempted to trade it for a GFI D-10.

Gene has really thought a lot of design things through. When they first came out, I did not like the appearance, but they have really grown on me.

Based on the Web site, the Expo X1 comes with stainless steel changer fingers as standard.

With Ashleigh's band, I needed a lighter guitar that sets up quickly and of course sounds good. The GFI fills that bill. We have been in situations where there is not much setup time and I only play E9 for her, so the SD-10 made the most sense. GFI has unbelievable bottom end that you do not get with very many, if any, all-pulls.

Finally, when a player of Mike Sigler's caliber endorses GFI, then you can be sure you will like it too.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2009 7:08 am    

Mike Sigler blah blah blah....LOL Laughing I played Mike's ultra a few years ago at an OSGA seminar,and I must say it was probably just about plays itself. The GFI is a really smoothe guitar. I was just busting Mike's chops. He is one of those guys that I wish I could break his fingers because when I hear or watch him play,I feel like a third rate hack. If Mike endorses a product,you can take that check to the bank and cash it ! The GFI is in the top 5 guitars out there. PERIOD.

Love Ya Mike ! One of these weekends I gotta come out to the diner !

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2009 4:27 am    

Dustin
You pea-picker you.... You better get down to see me, i am not getting any younger! Oh Well and you need to see and play my new GFI.....
: Oh yea Guys another nice thing about the GFI is that you do not have to wait a year or more to get a new one made just for you!... I have a friend right now with another brand on order that says he would not own a GFI BUT!!! that has used mine for over a year while his is being built... Now he's considering pulling his order to buy a GFI... Strange how the good Lord works huh!... Shocked
Enough said! Oh wait a min. thats the GFI LOGO

GFI ( ENOUGH SAID)
Mike
Winking

Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2009 4:10 am    

Thank you guys.
To bad that I can't check one out in Germany.
The C6 neck is important for me, hope it is good on both modells. I say this because I tried an EMCI PSG and didn't like the C6 neck at all, it was liveless.

Thomas

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2009 10:50 am    

Thomas what kind of pickups did the EMCI have on it, the Barcus Berry's they came with weren't much IMO and most any other kind would be better but the E-66 was speced with that guitar in mind.

Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2009 7:52 am    

@Jay
both pickups were GeorgeL E66. Anyway, I won't buy this guitar.

Chris Lang

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2009 3:55 pm    

Quote:
Ryan,
I do not use the GFI on BR shows because I believe the more traditional look (Not Keyless) better suits that band.

What?

You don't play the keyless GFI out, because it doesn't suit the band?

Never mind all the keyless advantages.

I say get a new band!

Laughing

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2009 5:08 pm    

Mike Sigler wrote:
i have the stainless steel fingers on my expo (at an additional cost)

Why?
Are the steel fingers more resistant to wear and buzzing like a sitar?

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2009 5:48 pm    

Many differant reasons, one for sure is that the sring does not cut into the finger... it has much better sustain, and so on... What a great guitar!

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 2:41 pm     Aerio

what is the difference between the ultra and the Aerio ? Mike?

Jack Wilson

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 3:15 pm     fingers

All GFI pro model guitars, Ultra, X-1,Expo, and Aero come standard with stainless steel fingers. Aluminum fingers can be order as an option. Aluminum fingers have not been standard on Expos for about 4 years. Besides the frame designs and number of holes drilled for pedals and knee levers, the Ultra D-10 and SD-10 have a cap with the white plastic bearings on the center rail giving the cross rods support. Everything else is the same except you can not get an Expo in the clear finish or keyless.

Bob Moore

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 4:53 pm     Gfi

I have a question. What's the difference in GFI pickups. I have a student model with GFI 11 pickup on it. Is this generally standard or a better one? Bob Moore

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2015 5:26 pm    

Quote:
what is the difference between the ultra and the expo?

tone and playability wise, none ... both are high end, pro steel guitars, they sound, and play great ... and they are very compact, user friendly, and light... great guitars ...