The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Julian Tharpe tuning
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2000 1:52 pm    

Here is Julian Tharpe's tuning from a January 1973 Barbara Mandrell Show at the Palomino Club in North Hollywood CA.
He told me it was his first gig with the new guitar, a Wright Custom with 2 rows of pedals. I think he said that just before he got this guitar, he had played a similar tuning with 12 strings, but I don't know which 12 those were. The new strings might be 1 and 2 (G and E) strings.

He used mostly pedals 9 and 11 (or 8 and 10), your basic country pedals.

He used both right knee levers a lot. Also he liked LKL and LKV2, to play (for example on the open strings) progressions such as Cm7, B7-5, Bb with some very low bass notes. During Barbara's show, he seemed to enjoy repeatedly demonstrating to the bass player that with pedal 6, the low string is lower than the bass guitar. This was before 5-string basses and Hip Shot bass extenders.

Also he used quite a bit of LKR. This would be like having a knee lever to lower the 4th string E to D natural on your basic E9, which gives you some cool sounds.

A couple of years later, when he toured with the Dickie Betts band, he played a Sho-Bud with a very similar tuning, only a half step lower (E instead of F) I believe. We shared a several shows with that band in October-November 1974 but I couldn't hear anything that Julian was playing because the band was so loud.

LKV1 LKV2 3 | 5 7 9 11| 13
LKL LKR 1 2 |4 6 8 10 |12 14 15 RKL RKR
| |
G | -1 | +1
E | -1 |
A | +1 |
F -2 -1 | |
C |+2 -1 +2 +2| +2
A -1 -1| +1 +1 | +2
F +1 | | -1 +2
D +1 | | +1
C | -1 |-1 -1
A -1| |
F | +1 |
D -1 | | -1
C -2 -1 | |
F | -3 |

I see that pedal 12 and 14 are the same. This must be a mistake.

Barbara played one tune on a tall Sho-Bud D-10 that she played standing up. She used only two pedals, and used them together like one pedal. She had a wonderful touch and feel and I loved her playing.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2000 7:46 pm    

If I'm reading it correctly, it's sort of like an E9th moved up half a step to F. I wonder if pedal 9 broke that 3rd string very often.

Also, it looks like this tuning goes lower than an electric bass when you hit pedal 6. Yow!

Thanks for posting this, Earnest.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2000 8:52 pm    

Besides all the extra strings, the biggest difference bewteen this and a traditional E9 tuning is the lack of the 9th tone. He has it on string 1 (a recent addition that he didn't use much), but not below string 6 where most of us have it. He did raise his 7th string F -> G a lot with RKR but of course that is not the same thing as having another string.
Even with RKL in he doesn't end up with the regualr C6 tuning, since that G is absent.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2000 8:59 am    

The reason, IHMO, that his tuning was like no other is because Julian played like no other on earth.

In fact I have felt that he was not from this universe

An absolutely incredible and awesome player. He had a mind and an ear unequalled in my opinion.

God rest his soul,

carl

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2000 10:47 am    

Carefull chaps, you will talk yourselves into 14 strings with C#'s in and D's out (as an E tuning).

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2004 6:37 am    

Thanks Ed...

Bill Stafford

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2004 6:48 am    

Ed, well duh!! That's not standard you know. How will we possibly get by without the D.

maybe a pedal is in order. Bill can you handle that?

Edited for proper spelling of "duh".

fred

------------------
The spirit be with you!
If it aint got a steel, it aint real

[This message was edited by Fred Shannon on 24 March 2004 at 06:50 AM.]

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2004 7:33 am    

Heres that Wright Julain played, his first 14 stringer

------------------

David's Web Page

M.S.A.

M.S.A. Millennium
S-12 9 & 6
Bb is where it's at!

Peavey-2000-PX-300

[This message was edited by David Wright on 24 March 2004 at 07:34 AM.]

[This message was edited by David Wright on 24 March 2004 at 07:35 AM.]

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2004 10:24 am    

I believe this is the set up that was on the Wright he played

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2004 10:55 am    

David,
Yeah, the tuning chart you've posted was written up by Julian - he had given me a copy after he had recently moved into Nashville and had begun playing for Barbara Mandrel. He was still playing his 'White Wright' at the time. This was, of course, before he had dropped the tuning from 'F' down to 'E'. He dropped the tuning from 'F' to 'E' with his move to the Sho-Bud.
~Russ

Jerry Clardy

El Paso, Texas, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2004 11:20 am    

David - Where is Julian's Wright guitar now?

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2004 2:34 pm    

Jerry,
I have no idea were it is..
Thanks Russ.....for the info..
Don at Sierra had built him a 14 string guitar also, Black & Gold I believe..
What A Great player he was !!!!!!!

------------------

David's Web Page

M.S.A.

M.S.A. Millennium
S-12 9 & 6
Bb is where it's at!

Peavey-2000-PX-300

Jerry Clardy

El Paso, Texas, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2004 10:08 pm    

I think the black and gold Sierra David is talking about is in the thread http://steelguitarforum.com/Archives/Archive-000003/HTML/20011227-1-008469.html at John Light's entry. A couple of entries later, Terry Wood describes the guitar.

I have the 10 floor 6 knee pedal chart that was sent to me by Tom from Sierra just before they closed. I believe this to be the tuning on the black and gold Sierra guitar pictured as well as the Sho-Bud used on the Jet Age album. email me for a copy. I'll post it soon as I find a way.

Jerry

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2004 3:53 am    

I remember that guitar well. Julian was playing it the first night I ever saw him Play at Deeman's Den on Lower Broad in Nashville. I think that was the first time I had ever let a can of beer get hot in my hand while watching Julian play. That didn't happen once about the beer, It was three times that night, I loved beer back in those days and I sat there at the end of the bar and let 3 beers get hot in my hands because I didn't want to miss anything. The man was amazing, He was a show all by himself. The pickers and their Girlfriends went and sat on the dance floor and just watched. The only other time I ever saw that was with Willie in Deeman's Den,But I didn't let my beer get hot when Willie was there, So that should tell you something about my priorities. I never let my beer get hot When Curly played either. Julian was something else!

What was more fascinating was the story about the 20 string MSA that Reece Anderson told. When a man goes from 14 to 20 strings, sits down and plays the crap out of it at his first time sitting behind it, That spells Genius in no uncertain terms.

Julian died way too soon, we will never know where he would have taken the steel guitar. He wasn't from this world is a very true statement.

Julians Birthday will be in 3 days on March 28th, He would have been 67.

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 25 March 2004 at 04:42 AM.]

Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2004 4:07 am    

I had the pleasure of watching and listening to Julian at a honky tonk in Birmingham, AL. Somehow, someway, while all my friends were discoing, I walked into the Banks Lounge and headrd the most incredible, heavenly music I had ever heard. This was my first real exposure to PSG. Little did I know what I was witnessing. I don't recall the house bands name, but if he wasn't one of the members of the band, he played with them alot. I don't know how many times I had the honor to hear him play. I was really glad to see this post. I don't think he was from this universe either.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2004 5:17 am    

Somebody here may know more about the 14 string Sho-Bud than me but wasn't it a green one with no pad? If this is so then there was a guy that owned this guitar around 1984-87 that used to come in and play with us now and then. I met Julian back in those days when he would pop in every once in a while. It seems he confirmed that had been his guitar once. I never understood the tuning but then I was pretty green then. I think the first 7 strings were a typical E9 but it was different from the 8th string on. I'm thinking it was around 8/4 but could be wrong about that. I know where that guitar is today and have tried to buy it but the owner won't give it up. He doesn't even play but thinks it's a rare collectable.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2004 5:59 am    

Julian THarpe,

My friend and mentor would have been 67 on March the 28th, 2004.

He was a pickers picker. What a great guy, player and such fun to visit with. Julian had such a wit/humor about him. He has one brother still living in Alabama that has that same sense of humor, always joking and laughing too.

Boy, what I'd give to just go and sit and hear this Master Steel Guitarist one more time.

If you have never heard his playing, then you need to try and get an L.P. or tape of his picking, and sit and fasten on your seat belt for a wild exciting steel excursion. Nobody played or will ever play just like him. Julian definitely belongs in the SGHOF.

May GOD bless you all and Julian rest in peace.

Woody

Johnny Roberts

Anderson, SC, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2004 7:29 am    

I miss Julian. I first saw him playing for Bobby Jones out of Dothan, Alabama back in the mid-1950's.

In the mid-1960's, Julian used to appear on a weekly TV show on WTVY-Dothan with the Jody Leavins band. The band was based out of Panama City, Florida. Julian was playing a triple neck PSG (Wright?) with Speedy West style front panel hiding the pedal rods. He used to do vocals and play PSG at the same time, especially on "Together Again". The show's theme song was "Rose City Chimes".

I later saw Julian playing in Atlanta with the Barbara Mandrell show.

I last saw Julian at ISGC-St. Louis. He brought tears to my eyes with his version of "Danny Boy".

At times, Julian's playing reminded me of driving too fast down a mountain road with no guard rail. He always recovered just before plunging off the edge. Marvelous!

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2004 3:41 pm    

Quote:
At times, Julian's playing reminded me of driving too fast down a mountain road with no guard rail. He always recovered just before plunging off the edge. Marvelous!

My thoughts were similar, but I always thought of him as the best damn road racer there ever was and in total control. When Julian set foot on a stage , he was the man in Charge, no question about it.