The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where are you from? Musicaly Speaking....
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 4:36 am    

Many types of music are associated with their geographical origins. Some styles even have places in their names.
For Example:
Chicago Blues, Bakersfield Sound, Vienna Waltzes, Polish Polka, Nashville Country, Western Swing, Hawaiian Music, Afro-Cuban Jazz etc.
As time goes by musical styles come in and out of fashion. And some cities are known as the birthplace of several musical genres.
New York: Tin Pan Alley, Broadway Musicals, Harlem Jazz, Big Band Swing in Concert and Dance Halls...

New Orleans: Ragtime, Dixieland, Jazz, Cajun etc.

L.A California: Hollywood Musicals, Top 40 Rock, Surf Music, Country Rock, West Coast Jazz...

With the continued growth of Radio, TV, Records and now the internet with downloads and streaming live events there is perhaps less centralization of styles, and we even have "World" music Whatever that is?

So:
WHERE ARE YOU FROM? Musically Speaking?
I am from Hawaiian to Top 40, to Surf and Bakersfield Sound, then Country Rock and Southern Rock and Contemporary Christian music. (Can you tell I grew up in California?)
Now I am really into Jazz and swing (1930-1960s)

Dom

Last edited by Dom Franco on 2 Nov 2015 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 4:43 am    

Bigfoot Gospel... 4 miles SW of Etowah, 1 mile north of Dentville.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 4:43 am    

I forgot to mention the British Invasion (From 1960s Liverpool England to the colonies)

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 4:44 am    

Kraut Rock. It is actually a musical category. But I never liked it much. Before that there was Beat Music in Germany, I was a big fan of The Rattles and The Lords.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 5:16 am    

Old school traditional country. Little Roy Wiggins was my inspiration to play steel.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 5:25 am    

I'm from the British Invasion of the 60s. I don't live there anymore, but that's where I'm "from", musically speaking.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 6:31 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
I'm from the British Invasion of the 60s. I don't live there anymore, but that's where I'm "from", musically speaking.

What he said.

As a teenager, I had to suffer the agony of working at a job where they had a radio tuned to country music. Guess what - it sunk in because decades later I love that stuff!

"Oh I really thought that I had learned to love her,
I even took her home to meet my mother....."

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 8:13 am    

Quote:
I'm from the British Invasion of the 60s.

Me too, and a little earlier than that: doo-wop & surf. Later, country, swing, rock, etc.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 8:38 am    

Been playing for 50 years, I was country when country was cool, I was country when country wasn't cool and I'm still country when country is no more. What country? Texas (where the men are men and the sheep are nervous!) Laughing

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 10:19 am    

Classical. Piano. Squaresville, man.
I'd get bored; 'the dean' would give me stuff by Bernstein and Helen Twelvetrees (!) to peak my interest.
I wanted to play jazz with some other white boys. So we did. Then I did rock 'n roll and folk in hi school.
Folk 'n hi school. The rest is history, man.

Richard Smelker

Winters.Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 12:00 pm    

Started playing Bluegrass in 1956 (age 11), country (Age 13), Folk Music (age 16 - 30), Contemporary Christian age 30-50), Country Christian (50 - ?).
Also did Broadway show music, classical, jazz, Dixieland, 1940's big band. I love all kinds of music as long as it's done well. I have even heard a couple RAP songs that I liked (Jesus is still alright - DC Talk is one). It helped that my parents owned a music store and recording studio when I was growing up. And 2 years ago, I started learning steel guitar at 66 years old! I play Guitar, Dobro and Steel in a cowboy church band and I am having a ball!

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 6:30 pm    

I taught myself to play guitar in 1957. I followed everything " guitar " oriented from there because I loved the sound of those strings. Followed the English invasion until I heard the Byrds and the rest of the Folk/Country Rock sounds. I had been stuck on that until I started to play steel and SLOWLY got involved with Country music. I'm still very much into stringed guitar music, especially, the pedal steel. Country vocal groups don't do much for me, sorry. So, for the last 40 years, I've been playing country music heavily weighed with steel.
Funny anecdote- I worked for a guy back in 66, who, was really into country. It was in his truck and in the shop. I HATED IT!!! Couldn't stand the sound, at all. Funny how things turn out.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 7:05 pm    

I realized years ago how fortunate I was growing up… my dad had superior taste in music. Every time my Mom would leave the house the TV went off and he would spin Dylan, Odetta, Woodie Guthrie, Cisco Houston, Leadbelly, Joan Baez, Simon and Garfunkel, Benny Goodman, Mahler, Pete Seeger… all of that stuff is still burned into my brain.

When I started on steel my first band was playing 70's Country Rock, Western Swing, and Bakersfield stuff. Later on I spent years playing top 40 rock guitar, so my brain is truly scrambled. I like almost every kind of music.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 7:54 pm    

Well; I'm an anachronism. I started out in the late 60s listening to country rock; my favorites were New Riders of the Purple Sage,Poco,PPL, The Byrds, Flying Burrito Bros,Herb Pederson, and of course the absolute KING of country rock; Gram Parsons.

Was also big on British Invasion, Zep,Who,Floyd,etc. 60s h
Haight-Ashbury & Village scene,Jimi,Janis, Dead, Airplane,etc.
Love Jersey Shore rock, like Bruce, Southside Johnny,John Cafferty & Beaver Brown.

But, my absolute favorite band of all time...the band I've seen in concert 17 times...The band I would pay any asking price to see again because their live shows were nothing short of absolutely spectacular ...the band that was prolly the absolute most talented force in the history of music, and the very last band you would expect a steel player to list as their favorite?

Emerson, Lake, & Palmer.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 7:56 pm    

I never got into the British invasion. Was more into the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, etc... Then Motown Soul starting in junior high. In high school, bands like Led Zepplin, etc.. By the third year of high school, I saw Jerry Garcia with the New Riders, heard John Hughey and went to country after that.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 12:55 am     Musically Speaking.

A Supro Lap Steel and a few lessons as a youngster put me on the road to a musical journey that I'm still on.....It all started in Louisville Ky. at The Cherokee Music School with 13 lessons.....Then it was off to Dallas, Texas where my steel guitar playin' stopped and "The Guitar" (an old Gretsch, my cousin had given me right before the trip to Texas)became my main instrument.....Pedal Steel and Slide Guitar came a few yrs. later, but my main influence, would have to be "TEXAS BLUES"..... And, I still have the Supro and that "OLD GRETSCH ELECTROMATIC", Black-Sunburst, single cut-away arch-top with one DeArmond pick-up.....Livin' in Oklahoma the last 35yrs. has been a real blessing, being around some really great musicians, I've learned a lot, and my Steel Playin' has improved to the point where I actually get good comments on my pickin' sometimes.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 5:45 am    

Musically speaking I am from the land of Langeleik and Hardingfela - never played those instruments myself but loved what could be done on them - modernized into 1960 - 1970 styles, and spiced up quite a bit from abroad: example 1 and example 2.

Larry Petree

Bakersfield. Ca. USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 6:09 am     Musicaly speaking.....

Bakersfield Sound, and Western Swing.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 8:53 am    

What Larry said.........JH in Va.

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2015 6:59 am    

in chronological order , big band (thanks Dad), Motown,
Brit Invasion, Western Swing and Country

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 1:40 pm    

Since I was born in the eighties, I grew up listening to the country artists of the eighties-and there was a little bit of eighties pop/rock music too, but country music has always amazed me. In the nineties, I'd heard a lot of great steel on country records, like Paul Franklin, Sonny Garrish, Steve Hinson, John Hughey, Bruce Bouton, and Dan Dugmore-all of those guys made me want to play steel, and then there's a steel player named Teddy Carr, who had worked with Jack Greene and Clay Walker before joining the band Ricochet, who is another influence. I didn't know who Buddy Emmons was until 1998, the year before I started playing, but I learned about him before and after I started playing steel. A lot of my favorite country bands, like Little Texas, Blackhawk, and Diamond Rio didn't use steel, but they're still great bands. Brady Seals, former Little Texas keyboard player was an influence to me when I played keyboards from 1995 to 1999.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2015 3:00 am    

The Ventures > Rock and Roll > Brit Rock and Roll > Blues > Country Rock > Country Music

I finally found my way ! Laughing

BUT, I know songs that many of my band mates didn't even know were written and never heard of, I don't know if thats a good thing or a or bad thing...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2015 7:33 am    

Pittsburgh: 60s top 40 (British invasion, like Jim said), Motown and blues
San Francisco: acid rock

Then I heard Hank Williams and everything changed. Smile

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 2:09 pm    

Armenian and Greek music from birth (50's), R&B , 60's British invasion,late 60's bossa nova, rock, country, early 70's - 30's 40's swing, late 70's disco, 80's, 90's straight ahead jazz..

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 5:33 pm    

I'm from Haggard and Jonesville