The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  First pedal steel gig.
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 10:36 am    

I've been playing lap steel for a good few years but I just played my first gig on pedal steel, having bought one back in April Smile

I had a lot of fun. I was playing with a band who were doing country rock/outlaw country stuff which, although isn't the sort of stuff I mainly listen to, is great fun to play and the singer has some really good original songs. That's just as well as I'm very much a beginner and I definitely don't have the chops to play in a band doing classic country and honky tonk stuff.

I kept it simple for the most part - I wasn't out to try to impress any other steelies who may have been watching. It was a regular pub and I don't think many of the audience had even seen a steel before and half of them probably thought I was playing some sort of keyboard. Lots of people asked me questions during the break and after the show and I got some really nice (and probably undeserved) compliments.

The band had previously been playing as a trio and, although I didn't get a chance to rehearse with them and met them for the first time at the gig, I did have a set list in advance and had worked on a few of the original songs via online collaboration. I've got to say that having actual songs to work on was a much more productive learning experience than learning odd licks and exercises out of context.

The bottom line is that I got away with it and there were a few clunkers but no really bad train wrecks and I even got paid at the end of the night. The band want me to carry on working with them so I'm really looking forward to pursuing my new musical venture.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 11:28 am    

Sounds like a success! Congrats

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 1:03 pm    

What Tom said.

Nice looking Bud there.