The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How's the scene for Steelers where you live?
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2015 5:48 pm    

I'm always thinking of where I wanna go when I retire. Gotta be someplace where someone like me (guitar, steel,bass,5-string banjo, & vocals)can at least play every weekend or more. I'm also limited in that it has to be someplace warm, like South Texas, Arizona, etc. Even considering Costa Rica, but good luck gigging there!
So...how is the music scene for a steeler in your neck of the woods? My thinking is Texas, anywhere from Austin on south to McAllen, but would consider any place that has a good steel scene. I know I'm clutching at straws,but there has to be someplace better than Florida!

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2015 6:13 pm    

If you like week nights for a little money come to the great NW. If you are looking for a 5 nighter with big money, get a day job. Even Nashville players work Broad during the day to get a little change in their pockets. The music scene appears tough all over.

VFW halls and churches seem to have things going on.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2015 6:30 pm    

You'd probably have better luck in Costa Rica than here in the Bay Area, or Northern California for that matter.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2015 6:54 pm    

It's slow all over unless you want to play for the door, for tips, or you want to go on the road... and play for the door, tips, etc. Cool When I tell my students that we used to play 7 nights a week for many years, in house bands, no travel... they don't believe me. One asked "and you got paid for all those nights?" Uh, yeah. We used to get paid pretty well to play. I still do a few gigs a month, mostly VFWs, social clubs, fairs, town concerts, etc, but it's not like it used to be.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 12:36 am    

Charlotte NC Metro area.......Well where I am I can be quite busy, but that doesn't mean making a ton of money. I retired from my day job back on MAY 1, since then I have taken on two 2 hr Country Music shows ( tips) each month with band #1, a regular 3rd fri of each month with band #2 at the region Sr Center, this one pays pretty good, ( they have dances every Fri night) then with different members of band #1 we play a few different configurations for other 1 or 2 hr shows, they pay but not huge amounts. Then another member of band #1 has a regular Tues night gig for a split door , it is usually packed it pays pretty well, I don't play those Tues often but it is turning into a once a month FRI nighter which I play .

I also get calls for fill in's now and then but I have removed myself from late nighters and gigs that are more than an hr from home. I'm done with the 2 AM travelling home thing, I survived the last 40 years and am not pushing my luck.

Music wise,I am playing pretty much all traditional country with each of the bands and just having a great time. If I were to venture out and do some self promotion I am certain I could hook up with another band on the DANCE circuit and add another "paying" gig or two to the schedule each month.

On top of all this I still do DUO or TRIO gigs with the band I have been with for over 10 years and a 5 piece gig now and then.

That being said , if I were seeking a regular paying band gig on Steel every Fri or Sat night at clubs it would be a bust, those club gigs have come and gone, it has turned into duo or trio work, or open mics.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 3:47 am    

Naples, Florida...

As it happens I'm currently working at the Sugden Theater here in town but it's just a five-week engagement playing in the pit orchestra ('Something's Afoot' - an Agatha Christie murder mystery set to music!!! Confused ).

This is not, however, the sort of thing you're enquiring about, I'd imagine. Several shows a week, all reading, and it's not music I'd care to listen if I wasn't doing this for a living.

As far as playing steel is concerned? Well, I can count on one hand the number of those I've done in the Naples area, and I've lived here thirteen years.

There's nothing around here. This current gig is a one-off short theatrical run and I'm glad to have a job during which I'm able to sleep in my own bed - that doesn't happen much!

Leave SW FL out of the equation.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 6:04 am    

I don't think there is any area that still has the jobs like "the old days". I see top notch Texas steeler's looking for gigs.

Our area of Florida has more gigs now than there were 19 years ago when I moved here. A guy that owned a music store in New Port Richey told me, in November 1996, there wasn't any jobs around. I found some but they were Lakeland, Zephyrhills, Crystal River, etc and all low pay. The jobs I'm working now are for the door - sometimes very good (for Florida) and others not enough for all the hassle with equipment.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 6:57 am    

I've noticed that the VFWs and AmLegion gigs are slowly "dying off" too. I guess the younger vets today aren't much interested in the vet clubs, drinking, smoking, playing cards, and dancing to a country band. I've heard VFW officers announce to their members that membership is falling and they may have to stop the live music. I've heard that in at least three VFWs I play. Same thing with the social clubs: Elks, Eagles, Moose, etc. As far as regular night clubs with country music... very, very few and far between. The world has changed.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 7:59 am    

Doug, you are correct , in that , the younger generations are focused on many other things than the current OLDER generation. I too look out across the rooms I play and it is easy to see that in 5 or 10 years max these gigs will be no longer as there will be nobody in attendance. Not long ago we had monthly gigs at the area MOOSE Lodges, same thing, attendance falling, no new members. My wife sees the same thing occurring in her Antique/Crafts shows, older audiences, fading. It's not just music...Vintage Guitar, Shows, same deal. You know that when someone see's you selling a 64 Fender Tremolux amp and cab, and asks you if it is a tube amp, ya better take the first reasonable offer ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 8:41 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
I've noticed that the VFWs and AmLegion gigs are slowly "dying off" too. I guess the younger vets today aren't much interested in the vet clubs, drinking, smoking, playing cards, and dancing to a country band. I've heard VFW officers announce to their members that membership is falling and they may have to stop the live music. I've heard that in at least three VFWs I play. Same thing with the social clubs: Elks, Eagles, Moose, etc. As far as regular night clubs with country music... very, very few and far between. The world has changed.

American Legion, VFW, Moose, Elks, etc... They all have stopped live music here

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 8:55 am    

A lot of musicians I know around here make most of their money giving lessons.....

I'm not quitting my dayjob...

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 9:06 am    

The other sad part is that in most cases if a band has to pare down, the steel guitar player is the one let go.

Rich only lives about 20 miles south of me and there isn't much in our area, or at least much that pays.
For a while we (our band) were working with the "older" Nashville singers that came to Florida in the winter (7 years with Tommy Cash and 2 years with George Hamilton IV plus many one time shows with others) but that is almost non existent anymore. Considering all the traveling that was involved with those shows they didn't really pay much ($100 each band member per show, $125 per show the last year we toured with Tommy Cash). An hour or more traveling to the site, getting there usually 2 hours before show to setup, 2 hours for show, 30 minutes or more to teardown and load and the travel home.

The grass is greener somewhere else but in fact may not be any different.

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 9:48 am    

I have a pretty good schedule every month, but I am with a band with 20 years in existence and a good reputation.

The VFW and American Legion gigs are long gone, as are the 3-6 night a week club dates.
I can't remember any gigs the last 3-4 years where it wasn't a one nighter.

The audiences are younger, so there is little to no classic country.
We currently play about 1 older tune per set, the rest are top of the chart radio hits. If you can't adapt, be very creative, and play outside the box there little work for pedal steel.

Line dancing is IT right now, a different choreographed dance for every tune.

I don't care, I love music and love to play. While I would love to play country dance music or a set of honky tonkin music every night .. it's not happening here right now.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 10:24 am    

Deleted.

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 20 Oct 2015 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 11:03 am    

There are still a good number of clubs with live music around D/FW but Jack's comment about steel players being first to let go is very true.

Being a utility player/singer will tend to keep you in the band over simply being a steel player.

Clubs have pretty much stayed constant on pay at around $600 per night or $120 a man if you keep it to five players.

You can go see 10 Bands in one night and maybe see 1 steel player so bands seem to be using more guitar or piano than steel.

For me, this year has been the absolute slowest in the last 37 years. I may only play one night a month these days and sometimes go a couple of months with no dates.

There's work but you have to really network to stay busy.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 11:17 am     music and making a living..............

I've decided my music situation in this area had to be due to my 'old age' or the band leaders all being afraid they might have to truck my remains outside to an ambulance in the middle of a gig.

Sure miss those good ole days and huge crowds.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 12:35 pm    

I was lucky enough to get in a band about 1 1/2 years ago, that, already had a 16 yr old track record. We play steady from May to January 1, sometimes 3 gigs a weekend. The summer is especially busy with dances, fairs, parties, weddings, all kinds of venues. It slows down to almost nothing in the winter, though. I never thought I'd be lucky enough to fall into this at my age (66). However, most, if not all our listeners are my age, if not older than I. I don't know how long this will last because of that. Blues bands are big business around here, alomg with rock bands. We are surrounded by colleges here, so, those types of venues are not desirable for us. There are lots of musicians and bands around here, but, they're all not working because of the abundance of the talent. Country bands are not that abundant though and I'm glad for that.
Unfortunately, the days of steady weekends and or week nights are over. I used to work 5 nights a week back in the late 70's through the 80's, but, that's long gone. I don't think I could handle it anymore, anyway. I'd like to think so, but, no.
I have a friend, who, lives down near Orlando,Fl. and he works every weekend playing blues, soft rock and pop music on guitar. He's happy with his gigs since he's retired from his day job. He doesn't always play with the same people, though. Kind of like local pick up bands.
I don't think there are any real reliable steady gigs for anybody anymore. The music business is a tough business, unless, you're really big and can keep coming back with the " Last Tour" gig, over and over again. Being a backup musician is just that. There's no glory in it and if you want to continue you must change with the times. I've pigeonholed myself into country music and I'm happy with that, playing older stuff. It's what I like! When the calls stop coming, I'll accept that.... I'm drifting, sorry.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 1:05 pm    

I'm in Cleveland Ohio, and we hate The Steelers!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 3:41 pm    

ASCAP seems to be an issue for bar owners , Alot of them are not interested in dishin out the money for this , its another ransom besides a liquor liscense that is hard to recover for some bars fast enough. Around here the state gambling machines have taken over in all the bars.
Some places are still legit and love it for open mics but nobody spends any money at an open mic , water drinkers everywhere. According to bartenders.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 4:16 pm    

There's a band locally who has an excellent steel player who I know, and they have a once-a-month standing gig at the Eagles Club. A while back my wife and I went to listen. I'd say there were a hundred people, maybe more there.

My wife and I are both in our mid 60's, and I thought we were going to get proofed at the door! There were maybe 4 or 5 couples our age or younger. Most were older - a lot older. When that bunch dies off, I don't see much market for our kind of music anywhere in the area.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 4:32 pm    

People, especially young people, are very self-absorbed these days. They're seriously addicted to Ipads and Iphones, so there's no reason to go out and interact with live people anymore.

"Band? Why should I go out to hear a band? I've got 13,000 downloaded songs right here in the palm of my hand."

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 4:40 pm    

Way too true Donny

Jon Alexander

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 4:41 pm     How's the scene for steelers where you live?

I get to work with about four outfits in north central Florida in addition to occasional studio work.The music for three of these would be broadly classified under Americana(folk,country,blues,western swing..etc) and a contemporary country band.They all write their own songs and their set lists are 80-100% original songs.The money for gigs is hit or miss but has been very good on occasion.I play music I like,with people I like at venues(prolonging ear function) I like and play about 3-4 times a month.I am very fortunate to be in this position.There are excellent players in this area,but I only know a couple of them.There is a talented song writing community in this area and I've been able to work on some creative projects with some.Of course if any of you reading this thread decide to move here,my opportunities will be significantly diminished,so not much happening around here.

Chuck Stowe

Sycamore, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 6:14 pm    

Between the venues cutting back on live music and the current style of country music it is difficult to keep busy. Just finding a band that knows what a pedal steel guitar is, is few and far between. I've been fortunate the past several years in finding a couple bands that between the two I have about 90 gigs a year. It's not a living, I have a real job, but keeps me in practice and happy. It gets difficult avoiding date conflicts, luckily Craig Schwartz usually can help out if he has the night off.
Unless you are very talented and live in a live music mecca, I don't know how you could make a living on pedal steel alone.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2015 2:29 am     Psg

Well, I'll say this and it's my opinion. Add a quarter and it might buy a piece of bubble gum in a machine. I spent about thirty years playing clubs at night and working a day job at the same time. Nowadays, I've got a once a month gig that is steel friendly and I actually get to play even instrumentals. I'm planning on trying to find some steel shows outside of Mississippi to travel to and play at. I'm thinking maybe Louisiana, Georgia and Florida and of course the show at Gulfport, MS. is always on my list.