The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Converting non-pedal to pedal
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 12:20 am    

Firstly, I wasn't sure which section this should go in, so please feel free to move it.

We've all seen (some of us own) non-pedal instruments with holes drilled in them (usually at the tuner end) that were earlier attempts to add pedals to them - with various degrees of success. I know Shot Jackson started off doing this before building his own pedal steels as well as many others going the DIY route. I bet there were some ingenious designs.

Does anyone have any stories about taking their guitar to Shot to modify? I'm guessing this became popular some time after "Slowly" came out.

I have often wondered how they actually did it.

I'm NOT planning on doing this to one of my guitars so no need to talk me out of it, but I am curious and I think this is a fascinating part of the instrument's history that isn't well documented.

So I'd be fascinated to see any pictures that show these modifications in detail or any stories that anyone has of doing this themselves back in the day.

Also, I'm not really interested in modern solutions like the Duesenberg Multi Bender - I'm interested in the historical conversions using coat hangers and car parts.

Does anyone still use an instrument modified in this way?

I think I have seen one thread on here about someone who bought a Stringmaster with this modification still on it but don't remember seeing anything else.

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 6:07 am    

Perfect timing. I have one of Jacksons 8 string console steels and would love to get an A and B pedal added.. I know Jackson is coming out with a "palm/wrist" changer on their "Slideking" which keeps it simple and gets you the I to IV change .. But am waiting for it to be commercialized as an add on device.

I know you were not interested in "modern" solutions, but it appears Shot decided it worked for him..

http://jacksonsteelguitar.com/

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 6:48 am    

I have a triple neck Stringmaster at the shop that has 2 holes in the front neck tuning pan for just such a mod- great history Smile.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 8:04 am    

What a great topic.

I have nothing to add, but am posting so I'll be notified whenever there is a response.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 8:10 am    

I have the 1937 Gibson prototype Console Grand. It's a double 7. The inside neck had been modified for some type of pedal, but it had been removed before I got the guitar.

'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 12:45 pm    

Terry Sutton from Connecticut told me that he attached a toilet chain (?) to one string on, I believe, a Fender. One of the first on Canada to do this.

Chris

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2015 7:31 pm    

Interesting topic...probably the most interesting topic in a long time. I'd be interested in seeing some of the first pedal jobs too ! 👍

Erik Alderink

Ann Arbor Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 6:42 am     Working Converted Gibson Console Grande

I am resurrecting this thread since it never really seemed to get the traction that it deserved. I currently own, play, and gig a modified Gibson Console Grande. The pedal was installed long before I got the guitar, and I bought the guitar specifically because of the mod.I feel that it is reasonably well done, and it actually works really well. The pedal itself was missing so I cobbled something together for now, in the hopes that I can get a more refined version in place soon. There was also what appears to have been a knee lever at some point, with the holes through the tuner pan for plungers but that is long gone. The pedal raises 2 strings, and has stops so that you can adjust the raise for each string. It stays in tune remarkably well as I have changed strings, tunings, and guages and haven't had to adjust anything yet. No roller bridge, no roller nut, just a simple puller that works.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 8:21 am    

Thanks Erik,

That's exactly the sort of reply I was hoping for when I started the thread.

So what tuning do you use on that neck and what do the pedals do?

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 1:38 pm    

I had a double neck Bigsby that I wound up selling to Bobby Seymore that was originally a triple neck non-pedal guitar. Bobby had owned it previously then sold it and lost track of it. Before he sold it, he chopped off a neck, added eight pedals mostly using cables and pulleys. Two of the changes were done up at the tuning keys by pulling the strings down behind the nut. I thought that was an interesting seat of the pants solution.

I tell you what I've always wanted - a levered lap guitar. I can't tell you how many times I've taken my pedal steel out of the case whishing I could just rest it over my knees. My levered lap guitar would put two dummy levers on the right or even just a strap that woould brace the guitar against your right leg so you could actuate a pair of levers on the left.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 2:02 pm    

"Two of the changes were done up at the tuning keys by pulling the strings down behind the nut. I thought that was an interesting seat of the pants solution. "

That's the way Paul Bigsby first did it! I wonder if PB got the idea from Earl Scruggs, or vice versa. Earl's first Scrugg's tuners were just two levers fastened to the peghead and effectibg strings 2 and 3 by rotating agains the strings, raising or lowering them to pitch. I made a set of them when I was in the 9th grade. Long time ago, about '61.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Last edited by John Billings on 4 Jan 2016 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 2:44 pm    

Jim said
Quote:
I have a triple neck Stringmaster at the shop that has 2 holes in the front neck tuning pan for just such a mod- great history

I have one like this, just the front neck though.
I am thinking of trying it with, gulp, a coat hanger wire or a bicycle break cable.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 3:06 pm    

Bud Angelotti wrote:
Jim said
Quote:
I have a triple neck Stringmaster at the shop that has 2 holes in the front neck tuning pan for just such a mod- great history

I have one like this, just the front neck though.
I am thinking of trying it with, gulp, a coat hanger wire or a bicycle break cable.

Red Rhodes told me that the first pedal guitar he saw was like that: The engineer put a fish hook on the string, and ran fishing line thru a hole in the guitar and tied it around his big toe. (... Jeff Foxworthy?)

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 3:19 pm    

I think more conversions have been done in the opposite direction ...pedal to non-pedal. That one is fairly easy, as you just have to remove everything inside the cabinet and build a new bridge and string anchor.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 3:36 pm    

My how we've come in a short time....from fishing tackle to extruded and machined parts!

Erik Alderink

Ann Arbor Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 4:00 pm    

My current tuning, hi to low:

E D B G# F# E C# B

Pedal Raises the B to C# and the G# to A.

It gets the job done...

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2016 11:15 am    

Jim Pitman wrote:
...I tell you what I've always wanted - a levered lap guitar. I can't tell you how many times I've taken my pedal steel out of the case whishing I could just rest it over my knees. My levered lap guitar would put two dummy levers on the right or even just a strap that woould brace the guitar against your right leg so you could actuate a pair of levers on the left.

You mean like this?
The Duesenberg Multibender attaches to most lap steels in a matter of minutes. It took me less time to put this on than to string it up.

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2016 8:28 pm    

I have an old Carvin S-8 that has holes in the tuning key area, apparently from a pedal mod that had been removed before I got the steel.

Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2016 10:38 pm    

The Multibender works pretty well but wrist position is too high and feels a bit awkward. Seems like a couple of Knee levers under a lap steel would be best. Use cable and rollers, very little change to body

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 10:34 am    

The main drawback with the Multibender is that you can only attach one lever to one string, so, depending on how you set it up, to get the equivalent of the A & B pedals together you need to depress all four levers simultaneously, and you have to be careful to ensure that they're all completely depressed, or you'll be out of tune.
What is needed is a complete pedal steel mechanism, worked by palm levers, but that would be difficult to achieve on a lap steel, because there's nowhere for the rods and cranks. You would need a hollow body. But it could be done. Of course, if you used a Harlin MultiKord mechanism you wouldn't need any cranks.
An alternative, and one which has been tried, is to use a separate set of foot levers, connected via cable-in-tube, like a car brake pedal. I believe it was Remington that came out with a marketable version of this, but it didn't sell.

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 11:36 am     knee levers added to homemade steel

I added knee levers to one of my horrible homemade steel guitars, I put 12 strings on it, that was not all that great. I should have made it a 10. I did add a couple [3] levers to change a couple of strings, but those kind of guitars always lead you back to a real steel, at least it did me. I love messing around with steels, just to see what the hell can happen!! Its fun, but I don't recommend it to anyone, thats for sure!!

Ernie Pollock 301-264-4172

Mark Addeo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2016 10:51 am    

This Fender Stringmaster with pedal modifications sold on ebay not too long ago. Seems to have gone for a steal (no pun intended). I'm a lefty but would love to have owned this. Clearly, they knew what they were doing! Description for the pedal mod read as follows:

'56 Fender Stringmaster that once belonged to steel guitarist Marian Hall. The pedal modification was done by her husband and operate the 4th 5th 6th and 7th string on the front neck.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 25 Jan 2016 4:21 pm    

I see that you're left handed. Are you going to reconfigure it?

Mark Addeo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2016 4:38 pm    

Oh, no. I didn't buy it. I just saw it out there not too long ago and saved the pictures. Some lucky person bought it though and I'm guessing got a good deal. A best offer under 1200 was accepted.

I did buy an orphan single neck basket case I just made into a lefty though. Here are some pics. Sorry, I'm a bit off topic. No benders on this rustic lefty beaut.

Whoa! [/img]

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2016 7:43 pm    

Mark,
Thanks for posting the pictures of the Marian Hall Stringmaster. Pretty ingenious. I wonder if there are any pictures of her playing it? Most of the pictures I've seen of her she's playing a Bigsby. Whether it was her or not, somebody played that guitar a lot! I love seeing all the pick wear on the inside neck.

Nice save on your single neck. Good axe for a lefty conversion too.