The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Silvertone dimensions
Chris Tulloch

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2020 6:59 am    

Hi
I am about to embark on trying to build a near-copy of the Silvertone 1316(?) using a plank of ash. One of your members (Lee) had this beautiful one for sale in Feb 2017 & this is the one I am using as a template.
If anyone has one of these Silvertones I would love to have some dimensions .. scale-length, body sizes etc.!
I am not a lap-steel player (although looking forward to learning) neither am I a guitar-maker, however I have saws & a router etc. and a lot of patience! I also have 2 Carvin AP-11 pickups I plan to use (wired as humbucker and/or single-coil).
It’s probably outside my budget, but I have also discovered that Goldtone use the same bridge on their new lap-steels & sell the bridge as a spare. However my budget is unfortunately minimal. I’ve also discovered a UK supplier that has very similar (new) vintage cupcake knobs!
Any info about these guitars will be great; many thanks
Chris

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2020 10:32 am    

Can't help with dimensions, but the pickup is a prewar Gibson P-13. The bridge cover (and likely the bridge and the chopped-down metal pickup and control mounting plate) likely are Gibson products as well. After WW-II, when Gibson decided to go in a different direction with their line of lap steel guitars, they sold boatloads of their obsolete prewar parts to makers such as Harmony, Kay, Regal, Jackson-Guldan, etc. Good luck with your project.

Chris Tulloch

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2020 6:05 am    

Thanks Jack. As it happens the bit of wood I was getting is the wrong size for doing a copy of this model, so I've changed my ideas & now using the National New Yorker as an inspiration!

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2020 5:18 pm    

Chris,

Here are some useful dimensions for several different National lap steel models (including the New Yorker) from this discussion:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=154795

Chris Tulloch

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2020 5:44 am    

Brilliant! Thanks David - much appreciated