The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SX 8 string lap steel from Rondo
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2015 6:37 am    

Paul Honeycutt wrote:
I could be wrong, but there seems to be a lack of decent quality new Lap Steels in the $500-$750 price point. Something that's an upgrade from the Rondo's and other beginner's instruments. It seems I see the low end and then instruments in the $1200 and up range.

Am I wrong?

The Asher Electro Hawaiian Junior would be an excellent choice.

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2015 6:13 pm    

My neighbor, Ryan Rukavina makes beautiful lap steels in that price range.
https://www.facebook.com/Rukavina.Guitars

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2015 3:39 pm    

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I'm a full-time professional guitarist who plays a lot of slide and has dabbled in dobro and lap steel (mostly G tunings), but I've been wanting an 8 String in C6 to try, for a while. This really hits the spot, bang for a buck-wise.

I ordered one Weds and it arrived today, two days later. I've been messing around for a couple hours. Sure, it's a dead simple instrument, but everything seems solid and works well, holds it's tuning and sounds good. The strings pass over the polepieces perfectly, and the overall balance is pretty good. A little tweak of the polepiece height hear and there should nail it. Overall, with the legs and carry bag, I think it's a screaming deal. As a working muso, I wouldn't hesitate to bring it out to a gig, with no mods......other than, you know, my extreme lack of SKILL. Mr. Green Details, details!

- jim

Brent Marklin

Evansville, IN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2015 7:14 pm    

You Snooze You Lose. When B-Day season arrived turns out they are fresh out of the SX six stringer. As there is nothing else in the specifically calculated price range I suppose I will just pick up some tuners for the morrell.. maybe a new pickup also.

Unless anyone on here is wanting to unload a sweet little lap at a sweet little price! Laughing

Jay Fagerlie wrote:
Quote:
Now comparing that to the Powerslide-...as much as I want to love that guitar, I have yet to get to where I think I can play it in tune enough to play out with it, I just can't get there. I don't know what it is, but over the two years or so that I've had it, it just hasn't 'clicked' yet...anybody else have issues with the Powerslide or is it just me?

I was surprised to stumble across one in stock today while checking Music Stores and Pawn Shops in a neighboring city and they let me play around on it for a bit. I'm glad I got to try it out but it didn't quite feel right to me... maybe it was just the shape, something different on my lap, maybe it was just that you had mentioned that or maybe it would just take some getting used to. I might lose my patience though if it didnt fall into place after 2 years heh

I really had my heart set on sticking with 6 strings though I don't know why. Maybe by the time I decide on this sx 8 string they will be out of them as well.

Fickle Fates.

Carl Nelson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2015 7:10 pm    

I got one of the 6 stringers a while back. My experience:

a) The regular gtr bridge does suck - absurd that you have to unscrew the cover plate to change a string (you can't just leave it off). First thing to do if you get one is simply line up the saddles but Frank's mod looks great.
    b) String spacing is too close for me. Of course, it depends what you're used to, I've come from playing dobro and find this thing quite cramped. I filed some additional notches in the saddles to get a bit more room in the higher strings, but it's still too tight.
    c) Mine had the single strat pick-up, not the p-90. I use a high c6 tuning and the thin top string sounds really feeble, plus the pick-up is a bit noisy. I replaced it with a Golden Age pup from StewMac but the improvement was modest. I'd expect the p90 to be a much better option.

It was really cheap, so not bad to learn & decide if you want to pursue it more, or for a spare to play with tunings. I'd struggle with the noise to use this in a gig. I've recently ordered a Lap King 8str.

Carl

Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2016 11:53 pm    

Reviving this thread with a question for owners of the 8-string model:
Do the legs extend far enough so that you can play that steel standing up (I'm about 6' tall)?
How stable are the legs? Does the whole thing wobble around, or are they useable in a gig situation?

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 4:23 am    

Roman Sonnleitner wrote:
Reviving this thread with a question for owners of the 8-string model:
Do the legs extend far enough so that you can play that steel standing up (I'm about 6' tall)?
How stable are the legs? Does the whole thing wobble around, or are they useable in a gig situation?

Yes the legs can adjust to standing height. The legs are reasonably stable, but would not stand up to a drunken dancer slamming into it. But overall very giggable, and easy to deal with moving in its gig bag.

I had to adjust the pickup a bit, raised it up and fiddled with the polepieces until I got a bit stronger tone, but overall for a $179 steel it's quite decent.

I wish they made a double-8.

Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 3:24 pm    

Thanks - I modified a keyboard stand for my homemade 8-string lap steel in the meantime - shipping across the big pond for one of those SX steels would have cost almost as much as the instrument itself...

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 3:10 am    

Roman Sonnleitner wrote:
Thanks - I modified a keyboard stand for my homemade 8-string lap steel in the meantime - shipping across the big pond for one of those SX steels would have cost almost as much as the instrument itself...

That sort of removes the advantage of this instrument - it is cheap! If shipping is that expensive, I'd find something available locally, maybe used?

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 12:35 pm    

David M Brown wrote:
Roman Sonnleitner wrote:
...shipping across the big pond for one of those SX steels would have cost almost as much as the instrument itself...

...If shipping is that expensive, I'd find something available locally, maybe used?

...or find someone who is about to cross the Atlantic and ask him to slip it into his suitcase. Winking

Randy Chow

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 11:57 pm    

Bill Hatcher wrote:
the headstock design is very poor. one of the most important things on a lap steel is to keep all the energy in the string. all that wood cut away and the hole left at the headstock..worthless design.

Would a double slotted headstock be better? Or is solid the only way to go?

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2016 5:20 am    

Randy Chow wrote:
Bill Hatcher wrote:
the headstock design is very poor. one of the most important things on a lap steel is to keep all the energy in the string. all that wood cut away and the hole left at the headstock..worthless design.

The open headstock on the SX has been no problem so far.

I'm sure that the more expensive steels from custom makers are better instruments when compared side by side, but the SX does the job.

Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2016 9:21 am    

Randy Chow wrote:

There are many variables in headstock design, but in general, for a slotted design where both are the same thickness, a double slot design should be stiffer and stronger than the one big open cut. And given the same thickness and general overall shape and geometry, a solid headstock should be stronger and stiffer than a slot design.

Thats the short and general answer, but certainly not the last word. Beef up the thickness and a fully open single cut can be stronger than a thinner solid design.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2016 11:33 am    

In my opinion, the headstock of the Rondo is the ugliest part of the design. It looks tacky.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2016 11:43 am    

Tom Pettingill wrote:
Randy Chow wrote:

There are many variables in headstock design, but in general, for a slotted design where both are the same thickness, a double slot design should be stiffer and stronger than the one big open cut.

Beef up the thickness and a fully open single cut can be stronger than a thinner solid design.

Actually, the SX has some reinforcement in terms of 2 hardwood strips laminated in the length of the ash., and the overall headstock is substantial enough.

I used to work at a wholesale music business as a buyer, went to the NAMM show many times, and there is no problem with the SX.

I do prefer a double-slotted style headstock if possible.

Is the SX headstock the BEST design possible?

NO

Does it work really well for the price point?

Yes.

I know, I've tuned this instrument to all sorts of tunings that have "E" as the highest string pitch, and even the stock string set does OK.

Is the stock string set balanced in every tuning?

Not hardly. But I've tried all the C6 and whatever's, my A6 (and related B11. etc.), and a load of E 7-9-11-13 tunings.

For an under 200 buck "haul to a gig" rig, it's hard to beat.

What amazes me is the Chinese made instrument proudly claiming that it's made of American ash, on a sticker on the back of the neck.

Besides, if you play well, who cares about your headstock?

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 7:31 am    

I've had both of mine for several years now with no issue with the headstock holding up. As far as tone, would that be affected much since the string is only going to vibrate between the bridge and nut (or bar)?

I will also comment that the swamp ash 6 string I have has sustain forever. Much more than the standard model, but the standard one seems to have a bit more of a mellow tone to me.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 11:29 am    

Been looking at the SX 8. I think Greg Cutshaw has one of these steels.

Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 26 Nov 2018 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 5:18 pm    

I have one of these...it's my only single neck 8. Honestly had not read about or even considered the criticism of the headstock design...if anything at the time I considered it kind of an interesting and positive idea...quite simple and efficient. Structurally its not much different than a slotted headstock, I guess if they altered their CNC to leave a center stripe of wood, it would be basically equivalent, but there's no practical advantage that I can see.

Things I didn't love...the pickup...it was kinda noisy (single coil, naturally) and the string balance from the factory was off...certain strings were not aligned with polepieces and you can hear it. So I swapped with a Lace Alumitone bass bar (roughly equivalent to their steel tone bar) that fit right in. It's a much clearer (much more silent!) and flat sound, which has pros and cons but mostly pros.

Tonally, I still prefer my vintage multinecks, a Stringmaster triple and a Magnatone double, but it does the job well enough that when I get invited to short notice gigs that don't really justify the effort (open mics with a jazz group I've been playing with), this guitar goes in the gigbag, and I take my 5 watt Bugera combo...kind of a lapsteel paratrooper rig, very comfortably portable, can go anywhere without much trouble.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 4:24 am    

Nic Neufeld wrote:
al advantage that I can see.

Things I didn't love...the pickup...it was kinda noisy (single coil, naturally) and the string balance from the factory was off...certain strings were not aligned with polepieces and you can hear it.

I was able to raise the pickup overall and adjust individual screws to get it to sound better.

I've considered replacing the pickup, too, thanks for the advice.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 4:31 am    

Nic Neufeld wrote:
had not read about or even considered the criticism of the headstock design...if anything at the time I considered it kind of an interesting and positive idea...quite simple and efficient. Structurally its not much different than a slotted headstock,

Or what we have come to expect in a pedal steel headstock.

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 5:04 am    

Godfrey I Would like to see a picture of entire steel.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 5:39 am    

Looks like a Travis Bean 6 string...not necessarily a steel, but sure interesting...

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 5:42 am    

Joe Elk wrote:
Godfrey I Would like to see a picture of entire steel.

Joe you already know what those look like.

Very Happy

Nic Neufeld wrote:
Looks like a Travis Bean 6 string...not necessarily a steel, but sure interesting...

Precisely Nic, it is a Bean.

Here's a 1935 National Lap

1936 Dobro Lap

Remington Steel

Vorson

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 12:51 pm    

Thanks !!! Godfrey. I had not clue it was not a steel. I have a 8 and a 10 P/U and I needed some ides! I liked Vorson. Thanks!!!!!! Maybe I will have to think building a new steel.
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 2:10 pm     open peg head

Tom Pettingill wrote:
Randy Chow wrote:

There are many variables in headstock design, but in general, for a slotted design where both are the same thickness, a double slot design should be stiffer and stronger than the one big open cut.

Beef up the thickness and a fully open single cut can be stronger than a thinner solid design.

I was told when I built this one, it would not stay in tune. I made the peg head 13/16" thick. I did it for 2 reasons.
1. For strength
2. So the vertical tuners weren't hanging over the edges of the peghead.

The piece of wood I used was too short to make a lap steel. The guy I bought the wood from generously (without my knowledge) shipped a piece that was a drop cut and good for nothing to him.....Well it was just what I needed. I had to mount it in the neck similar the way a neck is mounted on an electric guitar. That guitar stays tuned better than any others I own.