The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mid-priced dobro (resonators) recommendations
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 1:04 pm    

Recommendations for square neck resonator that are an upgrade from the Goldtone Paul Beard models but not priced in the mid-2K range and up (Paul Beard etc)?

I've not heard the Goldtones in person but from what I've heard on the net they sound a lot like a Regal import that I had Beard upgrade with a Quarterman cone, maple bridge inserts etc. There's a particular metallic sound to these that I don't hear in the actual Beards, Scheerhorns etc. I know the latter are much higher priced but is there something in-between that approaches the higher end guitars in terms of tone?

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 1:51 pm    

Bill, now located in Florida, check out Tom Warner's Appalachian Resonators, American hand-built guitars, some models can be had for well under $2K:

http://www.appalachianreso.com

Steve Smith at Red Line Resophonic near Nashville builds some relatively inexpensive guitars that can be had for under $2K, and he also makes some very nice high end guitars:

http://redlineresophonics.com

Neither of the websites are all that comprehensive, you'll have to reach out to the owners for more information but this gets you in the right direction.

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 3:54 pm    

Here is another one Bill.

Ballpark four years ago National Reso-Phonic was looking to revamp their lap style spider bridge resonator line. I think a lot of 'grassers in particular weren't buying the long-time model that was more or less based on the old Dobros, the Model D, because it might not cut it in doing battle with a banjo.

So they went to Nashville to talk with some of the big dog players and seek advice on what they needed to do to capture more of that business.

In listening to these "Nashville cats" they came out with a large body modern style guitar with the Smith & Young moniker as a separate line from National. It didn't last for very long because they then entered into the agreement with Tim Scheerhorn to start manufacturing a line of guitars from his designs that bear his name as he continues to edge toward retirement, so it seems it would have been redundant to keep the Smith & Young line going. But there are still some floating around out there in different shops around the country.

I have played a couple of these Smith & Young Model 11 resonators in stores and I think they are good guitars. Very loud, you can get plenty of volume without picking too hard. Made of laminate maple with a satin finish, and the quality workmanship one finds on any National Reso-Phonic guitar.

I don't think it has the depth or complexity of a guitar like my solid maple Cliinesmith, but then it shouldn't - the one in the link below at Elderly goes for $1785 whereas a maple Clinesmith starts these days at about $4300. Nonetheless, a nice guitar for the money.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SYSQ-MOD11.htm

Here is a video of a guy picking one at Mandolin Bros in New York. The sound in the vid isn't greatest, but you get a good idea of the appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MveJXX-srhw

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 5:21 pm    

Gregg McKenna, an SGF member, makes hand crafted resonator guitars. There is an 8-string for sale on the forum:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=289731

You might also want to check out James Adams hand crafted resonators (Gueydan LA) -- his website is down at the moment, though.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 6:41 pm    

I would not overlook the Beard Vintage R and Tut Taylor M 27 guitars. Both priced around $2,000.

h

Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 11:06 pm    

I'll second the Vintage R - great resonator (and I haven't even put in the Legend Cone yet).

Ian

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 2:16 am    

I used to have a redline, it was fantastic.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 5:11 am    

I play a Redline Rambler Deluxe -- sweet sounding instrument, looks nice, great fit and finish, and much closer to $1K than $2K.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 7:26 am    

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I have listened to the Beard R online, and would love to own one but was hoping to find something a $1000 less that approached that kind of tone.

I am not bluegrasser but am trying to learn some related techniques so at this point volume and projection are not the key concern. Its really about timbre for me at least at this point. A richer, smoother sound is what appealls and the lower priced instruments just don't cut it. In fact maybe the older 30's style is more of the sound I'm chasing? I recall playing an old Regal made student model called a Nioma at Gryphon in Palo Alto CA that spoke to me. I did some research and these don't even have a soundwell!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 7:40 am    

Maybe you should be looking at some Weissenborns.

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 8:05 am    

I'm glad you came back in Bill with your thoughts because when you get down to it, shopping for a resonator guitar nowadays isn't tremendously different than shopping for a flattop.

If one uses the iconic Martin body shapes and sizes, people don't just say "I want a Martin guitar." There are dreadnought, 00, 000, 0000, jumbo bodies, etc., all filling different musical roles.

Howard and Ian mentioned the Beard Vintage R. Speaking of Gryphon, they had a very nice new Vintage R for awhile and it had a sweet tone. I A/B tested it against a National-built Scheerhorn Rob Ickes model aka "Nati-horn."

The Scheerhorn is a Large body and the volume of that thing could shake the walls, whereas the smaller body Vintage R just didn't have the projection. Not a bad thing at all - just different - the Vintage R sounded great.

If I could act on GAS right now in searching for a vintage Dobro, I would try to acquire one along the lines as made famous by Mike Auldridge - something like a Regal-built Model 37 or a Model 27 from the mid 1930s. But Mike eventually moved on to modern guitars. Fred Travers who took his place many years ago in The Seldom Scene played a prewar for a long time but he fairly recently acquired a Beard Vintage R himself and it has become his "A Game" guitar.

The moral of the story is that one can seek out a vintage instrument, and there can be problems with vintage Dobros unless they have spent many decades as case queens residing under someone's bed, or one can go for a modern iteration - the two guitars Howard mentioned from Beard, or some of the designs from Gregg McKenna.

And to find something like a prewar Regal-built along the lines of the iconic Auldridge-owned guitars and in good condition you're going to be well over $1000 anyway.

There's the old saying "you only cry once when you buy quality."

The Beard Tut Taylor Model 27 is one sweet guitar, and yeah, it's around
$2k. Check out this video of Andy Dunnigan taking one for a spin at Greg Boyd's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RHhajzVZVs

And this is pretty cool: Jerry Douglas playing this model on Foggy Mountain Rock with the late Tut Taylor looking on at the IBMA World of Bluegrass two years ago. Cell phone quality video, but worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uyvf7OISso

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 9:58 am    

Erv - I have a Superior weiss copy that I'm using for this purpose now but am toying with the idea of getting a "real" dobro but my tastes are too rich for my wallet.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 11:59 am    

Bill,
I also like to trade off between the Weissenborn and a resonator.
I don't know if they are still in business but I have a metal bodied "England" resonator that I like a lot.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 1:43 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Maybe you should be looking at some Weissenborns.

Oh my goodness...that is my Weissenborn.
I love it by the way.
That was also a good suggestion to look at a weiss.
I play my weiss and my reso about equally and they are both a gas to play.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 8:08 am    

Not to stray too far from the subject of this post, but I also like to play just a flat top acoustic lap steel every once in a while. However I usually install an under the bridge Baggs pickup.
This is a Goldtone, an excellent guitar.

I also have an 8 string model.

Nathan Golub

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 9:24 am    

Bill, I was looking for the same thing a couple years ago and found a Richard Deneve reso for just under 1000 on one of the reso forums. It's a smaller body model but I think he makes larger modern bodies too. Check out some demos on YouTube. It sounds much better than the couple Beard Goldtones I've compared it to.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2015 12:52 am    

Dick DeNeve, Gregg Mckenna, Ivan Guernsey(when he was building)--Anything from these men will be a good guitar, at a good price. There's also a guy in Louisiana who builds reso's, but I can't think of his name. His guitars are hot rods. Loud.

And check Craigslist often.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2015 7:20 am    

Adams resonators is located in Louisiana. He also builds square neck flat tops.

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2015 8:44 am    

I wouldn't swear on it, but I'm fairly sure that Jim Adams has retired from building.

As for Ivan Guernsey, i wasn't aware that he retired - I've known a few folks who have taken delivery from him in the past couple years. And these guitars new are all well above Bill's budget, I recall they start north of $3K.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2015 7:17 am    

Mark, I think Ivan is still building a few guitars, but not many. He's had some health issues, (mostly from spraying lacquuer) and cut way back.

Over 3 grand? My ex-wife had mine built for me. Took about six months to get it--I think she paid 12 or 14 hundred bucks. And I got a good friend out of the bargain. Loves Westerns--who doesn't?

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2015 9:17 am    

Stephen Gambrell wrote:
Mark, I think Ivan is still building a few guitars, but not many. He's had some health issues, (mostly from spraying lacquuer) and cut way back.

Over 3 grand? My ex-wife had mine built for me. Took about six months to get it--I think she paid 12 or 14 hundred bucks. And I got a good friend out of the bargain. Loves Westerns--who doesn't?

$1200 - $1400? What year did you get your Guernsey? I've only been able to play a handful of them, and I would have loved to have had any of them.

I remember there was a time when Scheerhorns went for about $1800 - but it was also around 1991.

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2015 1:51 pm    

I have been in contact with Ivan several months back and was building part time, a couple a year it sounded like. He gets $3400 if i remember right for his standard birch ply model. I am planning on calling again in the next few days. Hoping to get one built.

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2015 4:27 am    

Hi Bill,

I hope all is well out on the Left Coast.

Yesterday I corresponded by email with Tom at Appalachian. He is in Arcadia, about 4 hours from my home in Gainesville. I plan to visit his shop when I am over that way for business in February, but possibly sooner--maybe November or December.

His guitars look nice, I like the open (no soundwell) design, and the prices seem very reasonable.

I will post after I visit.

All the best,

Bob

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2015 7:41 am    

I believe my guitar was built by James Adams in Louisiana.
Elderly had one of his resonators for sale at a very reasonable price.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 6:18 am    

Hs anybody ever tried or know anything about 'Fairchild' dobro?