The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  " Instrumentally Yours": New Radio Show
Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2015 11:53 pm    

In a thrust to raise public interest in instrumental music, I host a Sunday late night Internet radio show from Southern California, “Instrumentally Yours”: an eclectic mix of tuneful instrumentals and vocals with notable instro breaks…plus a few surprises….

Listen in from 9pm to 11 pm every Sunday, Pacific Time (which is GMT - 8 hrs).

Type in on your browser window:

www.ocrockradio.com

This is a soft rock station, but you will be surprised at how often a slide, or dobro or a "steel" sound is featured, in addition to regular guitar sounds. I cannot promise a preponderance of lap steel, though you will hear some. And perhaps you will be inspired when listening to some of the tunes to make your own lap steel versions.

So, listen up!

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 7:05 pm    

Listen up to this and a lot more! In continuation with playing different versions of "Sleepwalk" (Santo and Johnny, Jeff Beck, Larry Carlton..) in previous shows, I will be featuring Bobby Ingano's version in tomorrow's show (13 September 2015).

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2015 11:53 pm    

Thanks for listening to those that did last Sunday! I featured two versions of Sleepwalk, including a lovely version by Bobby Ingano from his album "Steel Reflections". I also feature vocal tracks that have notable instrumental breaks, intros, outros or middle eights. In recent shows I have featured George Harrison, Paul McCartney, and John Lennon. So.... can you guess who is going to be the featured vocalist this Sunday?

This Sunday I will feature a track from SGF's own Jim Cohen on pedal steel and vocals, very tastefully accompanied by forumite Mike Ihde on guitar, from Jim's CD "Home, James". I will also feature tracks by Buddy Emmons and Greg Cutshaw.

Listen up!

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2015 11:05 pm    

This week's show will feature a track from Gary Aiko/Alan Akaka featured in their album "Poina 'Ole 'La".

If you wish to auto-record the show and listen to it at your convenience here is an app that a listener sent:

http://www.apowersoft.com/streaming-audio-recorder.html

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2015 7:09 pm    

This Sunday (25 October) we will feature tracks from Buddy Emmons and Chuck Lettes.

• If the show is at an ungodly hour where you live you may download the following free app to record it: www.apowersoft.com/free-audio-recorder-online. (You set the start time and duration and it does the rest!)

• Remember clocks in the UK go back an hour this weekend but not yet in the USA (next weekend) . Google the Internet for information regarding other countries.

• If you are listening on an iPhone or Android, you may download the app from http://www.live365.com

Enjoy!

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2015 9:24 pm    

"Instrumentally Yours" at OCRR: here is an experimental recording of last night's show. apologies it is only at 64 kbps mp3, so AM radio quality. let me know if you are able to play it. i apologize i do not know how to condense the link, but clicking on the blue should select it and download it from the cloud to your hard drive and you can erase it anytime. It is about 75MB.

Link to MP3 file of Kay's show.

<b>Edited by Brad Bechtel to include the long URL as a link instead.</b>

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2015 10:07 am    

This Sunday (1 November ) we will feature the music of Hawaii in the mini-section of our show examplifying music from a particular region of Planet Earth. We will feature the musical stylings of The Brothers Cazimero and Dennis Pavao. Steel guitarists featured will be Bobby Ingano, Herb Remington, Ken Emerson, and Jeff Au Hoy.

Listen up! Watch out for clocks being set back in the US this weekend. We air at 9 pm Pacific time.

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 11:23 pm    

Here is a full recording of last Sunday's show (1 November) . It is mp3 encoded at 64 kbps. so AM radio quality. Steel guitarists featured were Bobby Ingano, Herb Remington, Jeff Au Hoy, Ken Emerson, amogst others.

Here below is the untidy Cloud url but clicking anywhere on the blue font will download the file (64 MB) to your hard disk and thence to CD if you wish. It will fit on one CD if mp3, two CDs if audio.

If Brad Bechtel can work his magic and convert to a link I shall be most grateful....

Magic link to 64 Mb MP3.

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 1:40 am    

Here is a link to the mp3 file (podcast) of today’s show that you can listen to at leisure. It includes two more versions of Sleepwalk. And steel/slide guitar stylings of Santo and Johnny, George Harrison, Batuk Nandy, amongst others....

http://tinyurl.com/2015-11-22-InstrumentallyYours

Enjoy!

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2015 9:43 pm    

This night's show (29 November 2015) featured the steel guitar stylings of Chuck Lettes, Arne Vigeland, Rob Ickes, and Dan Dugmore amongst others...and a cast of thousands... Linda Ronstadt was the featured vocalist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9t7sp7mgds3s0rz/IY2015.11.29.mp3?dl=0

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2015 4:51 am    

In a thrust to raise public interest in instrumental music, I host a Sunday late night Internet radio show from Southern California, “Instrumentally Yours”: an eclectic mix of tuneful instrumentals and vocals with notable instro breaks. This is a soft rock station, but you will be surprised at how often a slide, or dobro or a "steel" sound is featured, in addition to regular guitar sounds. I cannot promise a preponderance of lap steel, though you will hear some. Last Sunday the show featured George Harrison in "My Sweet Lord" amongst other slide/steel artistes.

And perhaps you will be inspired when listening to some of the tunes to make your own lap steel versions.

Listen in from 9pm to 11 pm every Sunday, Pacific Time (which is GMT - 8 hrs). I am travelling till mid January and Kathy Vargas is compering the show in my absence.

Type in on your browser window:

www.ocrockradio.com

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2015 7:22 am    

This Sunday's show can be listened to again with the following link, open until 28 December. You can download to your hard disk if you wish. Many thanks to Kathy for compering the show whil I am travelling.

Listen up from some great tracks featuring steel. Some of the artists featured : Buddy Emmons, Richard Bennett (watch out for his beautiful steel solo in Acquanetta), Arne Vigeland, and others.George Harrison was the featured vocalist ( great slide work).

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/f817ea03da6c4c92264fa7ec610e47ee20151221143302/2e8ecb

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 12:25 am    

The "Instrumentally Yours" show on 31 January 2016 included some tracks featuring the lap and pedal steel guitars and dobro with steelers Tom Brumley, Al Angelo, Billy Panda, and Grady Keystone....in addition to our own Chuck Lettes and others.

The program was recorded and the link to the recording is available till 7 February.

http://we.tl/46sPkMwJpZ

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2016 11:08 pm    

The "Instrumentally Yours" show on 7 February 2016 included, amongst many, some tracks featuring lap / pedal steel/ dobro/ slide with Buddy Emmons, Hal Rugg (with Sammi Smith), Santo and Johnny, Hershel Yatowitz (with Chris Isaac), and others.

Early in the show, nostalgia with a mid-eighties live recording of Buddy Emmons' "Rose Coloured Glasses" at which I was present.

The program was recorded and the link below is live till 14 February.

http://we.tl/ofDR301hVo

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2016 3:56 pm    

The Valentine’s day show tonight is crowded with great music chosen especially for the occasion. Do not forget to tune in to www.ocrockradio.com on your computer or phone! There have been some changes in the radio station software, so if “Listen Now” does not work, just go press the TuneIn button a little way down, download the app, and you will get there. Apologies for the inconvenience.

However, if nothing works and/or if you live in a part of the world where the show is at an ungodly hour (we are GMT - 8 hrs), fear not: e-mail me at kaydas@mac.com and you will be sent a link to a recording of the entire show shortly after.

For steel guitar enthusiasts, Buddy Emmons and Greg Sardinha, amongst others, will be featured. Also watch out for Steve Smith's beautiful dobro/resonator break in Anne Murray's version of " I Can't Stop Loving You"

I am still taking in dedications, so if you have not already, and wish to send out wishes to anyone dear to you, just e-mail me before tonight…

See you tonight!

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2016 9:26 pm    

Tomorrow night's" Instrumentally Yours" show will feature steel guitar instrumentals, amidst other genres (big band, standards, slow rock, surf...).

Artistes featured will be: Ken Emerson, Billy Hew Len, Barney Isaacs, Chuck Lettes, Herbert Hanawahine, Eddie Palama, and Jerry Byrd, amongst others.

Listening instructions continue as of 14 Feb 2016 (see previous entry).

William Rosen

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2016 7:18 pm    

A nice program, Kay. I enjoyed your selection of pieces and your calm, dulcet introductions late on a Sunday night. I'll be listening again.

Bill Rosen
Seattle

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 9:26 pm    

Thank you, Bill. Sorry if this is short notice, but I forgot to write earlier to say that there is a dedication to you in tonight's program as a mark of appreciation..

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2016 10:58 pm    

Do not forget to tune in (using the Tune-In app) to ocrockradio.com this Sunday 13th and next, 20th. If you listen carefully you will hear amidst the mix of tracks the steel stylings of Paul Franklin, Bobby Ingano, Greg Sardinha, Ken Emerson, Alan Akaka, Fred Lunt, Tom Brumley, and amongst others, a great steel guitarist from Nashville, Richard Bennett, who also plays lead guitar for Mark Knopfler.

Sunday 20th's show will be hosted by Kathy Vargas while I am in Tahiti. We mix in steel guitar instrumentals with a pot-pourri of other genres so that listeners who tune in for other genres may appreciate its unique sound.

Listen up!

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 8:55 am    

If you were unable to tune in to Sunday 13 March's show, here is a link to the recording which we usually post a few days after every show:

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/d43439e624dd94827aa5c7680e947c8a20160314131257/993f7a

This link will be operational until 20 March so listen before or download to your hard drive to listen at your leisure before then!

Happy listening!

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2016 1:41 pm    

As every Sunday night, there will be an "Instrumentally Yours" show this evening from 9 pm Pacific Time. This week we will feature tracks featuring Jerry Byrd, Gary Aiko/Alan Akaka, and Ken Emerson amongst others. If you are unable to listen to the show real time, please send me a message or e-mail me at kaydas@mac.com so that I can send you a recording of the show for you to listen at your leisure.

Following my recent visit to Tahiti, the second half of today's show will have an accent on, amongst other genres, music from the South Pacific.

Yes, and there are steel guitarists in Tahiti.... although we do not hear much about them...

Happy listening!

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2016 2:30 pm    

Here is the link to a recording of Sunday’s show which had a South Sea Island flavour especially during the second hour...

Link to recording of Sunday's show.

The link will remain active until next Sunday, so please download to your hard drive before that, or just listen… And don’t forget to tune in next Sunday same place, same time.. noting any clock changes for summer/ winter in your part of the world as it is that time of year...

And here’s an Easter Bunny surprise: a link to some video anecdotes from a recent trip to the South Seas.

https://www.facebook.com/kay.das.10/videos/1159414230744564/?l=5979960908230266311

Happy listening!

Kay

William Rosen

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2016 7:00 pm    

Another well-curated show, Kay. Who was the steel guitarist on the version of "Help Me Make It Thru The Night" that came right before the Kris K. version?

Bill R.
Seattle

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2016 10:31 am    

William, thank you for the appreciation. That was a track from my CD "Distant Shores" released in 2005 and I was the steel guitarist.

Kay

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2016 11:01 pm    

Steel guitarists featured on last Sunday's show:

Bobbe Seymour
Steve Wilkerson
Bobby Cage
Billy Hew Len
Barney Isaacs

...amongst others..

Here is the link ( live till next Sunday).

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/1558b6143a127e827850a01f0667cce220160404144216/664c3a

Kay